Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
mitaccio
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/17/09

Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
Semi-Temporary Piers?
      #6257279 - 12/16/13 10:58 PM

I am active duty Army and move around often, but want the stability of a pier. Anyone ever made a pier that is semi-permanent? If so, how did you make it and how well does it work? I have a Nexstar and want a more stable platform, as well as a permanent location to set up.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
Re: Semi-Temporary Piers? new [Re: mitaccio]
      #6257315 - 12/16/13 11:32 PM

I use a "portable pier" made by ATS. I have three spray-paint spots on my driveway where the legs go, so I know where to put it each time I set up. If I need to put it somewhere else it's easy to re-level it and polar align. I can take 30 minute guided exposures with it... so I think it's stable enough for anything that anybody would want to do.

dandabson

Reged: 10/15/08

Loc: Dover, DE
Re: Semi-Temporary Piers? new [Re: jbalsam]
      #6257613 - 12/17/13 07:56 AM

I take it you live in housing or do you rent off base. I constructed a wood pier. If I ever sell the house I can cut it off under ground level and fill it in and plant grass. I don't think I will be relocating any time soon. I am retired military. Look forward to retirement. It is worth it.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Semi-Temporary Piers? new [Re: dandabson]
      #6257716 - 12/17/13 09:18 AM

Perhaps you could build a wood box that was somewhat pyramid-shaped, that you could fill with sand or stones, to give it more mass, that bolted to something flush with the ground....and saw the bolts off when you move

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Semi-Temporary Piers? new [Re: roscoe]
      #6258216 - 12/17/13 01:53 PM

Astro-Physics makes excellent comparatively inexpensive portable piers that can be used as temporary piers. They make them in 6-inch, 8-inch and 10-inch diameters of various heights.

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: Semi-Temporary Piers? new [Re: frolinmod]
      #6258286 - 12/17/13 02:49 PM

My Losmandy HD tripod is actually a 6 inch diameter mini-pier elevated with fixed angle tripod legs. I place it on concrete blocks I buried and leveled in my backyard. I marked the blocks so the tripod is always placed in the same position. I placed the blocks so the tripod legs are either fully collapsed or fully extended, so no need to level the tripod.

Gale

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 415

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics