Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Anyone else observing Mars? new [Re: Ed D]
      #6227835 - 12/01/13 07:58 PM

Quote:

...Then it happened again - TWILIGHT! As the sky began to lighten I started observing dark surface features coming in and out of view. Not having to work today I continued observing until the sky was bright and the view began to fade.

I have read on line about twilight being the best time to observe planets and previously have had success observing cloud bands on Venus during evening twilight. I started observing Mars this year when it was under 4.0" and had a star-like appearance, and have been following its approach. I find it amazing that during twilight the ability of our eyes to observe detail increases. I have a book on order that covers this but it hasn't gotten here yet.

It would be interesting if anyone else observing in the mornings is experiencing this.

Ed D

I have experienced this seeing improvement during morning twilight many times in the past.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Anyone else observing Mars? [Re: Special Ed]
      #6257331 - 12/16/13 11:48 PM

awesome sketch.

even with bad seeing conditions, there are still pockets of stable air that can every minute or two clear up details. I consider most of my time observing planets is watching and waiting for moments of visual clarity.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1992

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics