Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
carlcat
sage
*****

Reged: 11/26/07

Loc: Northern California
Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount
      #6258215 - 12/17/13 01:52 PM

Just bought a new AVX mount and I'm assuming the steel legs are chromed. What's the best way to prevent the legs from rusting? My first thought is Canuba car wax but I'm not sure. Or go down to the local car care store and see what they carry. This mount will be stored outside under a porch during the Northern California summer months protected from rain/elements and then kept in the garage during the winter months. Thanks in advance. Carl

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Megabusa
professor emeritus


Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: carlcat]
      #6258343 - 12/17/13 03:17 PM

Quote:

Just bought a new AVX mount and I'm assuming the steel legs are chromed. What's the best way to prevent the legs from rusting? My first thought is Canuba car wax but I'm not sure. Or go down to the local car care store and see what they carry. This mount will be stored outside under a porch during the Northern California summer months protected from rain/elements and then kept in the garage during the winter months. Thanks in advance. Carl


( Protectall ) This stuff is grate , Use it for allmost anything , When I had Motorcycles that's all I used to clean and polish with , I still use it for my Scope counter tops guitar amp washer & Dryer outside A/C unit , things like that ,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
T1R2
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: Megabusa]
      #6258381 - 12/17/13 03:41 PM

don't forget good ole WD-40, it say for better results do not wipe off. that's what I use

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: T1R2]
      #6258472 - 12/17/13 04:30 PM

I believe you are worried about absolutely nothing. My VX went through one of the most dew heavy, damp springs and summers in a long, long time. AND my CG5 has been used on the Gulf Coast and in Florida for nearly nine years and has nary a spot of rust anywhere.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6258542 - 12/17/13 04:56 PM

I have had my CG-5s and CGEMs 600 yds from the Pacific Ocean for 5 to 8 years now and I have had no trouble with rust at all. You just can't neglect your mount and never care for it though. Like anything else it will need attention from time to time. I just give mine a quick wipe down after every use before I put them away.

Stan


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
carlcat
sage
*****

Reged: 11/26/07

Loc: Northern California
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6258638 - 12/17/13 05:41 PM

Quote:

I believe you are worried about absolutely nothing. My VX went through one of the most dew heavy, damp springs and summers in a long, long time. AND my CG5 has been used on the Gulf Coast and in Florida for nearly nine years and has nary a spot of rust anywhere.




That's good news, I was just concerned because my old orion 2" field tripod legs are rusted out to the point of no chrome left. Maybe they're chroming them better now. Still, better safe than sorry so thanks all for inputs and anymore input is welcome. BTW, AVX mount is sweet and handles my my 7inch Meade Mak easily.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: carlcat]
      #6258673 - 12/17/13 06:00 PM

The tripod legs on an AVX mount are stainless steel not chrome.

Stan


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
carlcat
sage
*****

Reged: 11/26/07

Loc: Northern California
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #6258932 - 12/17/13 08:43 PM

Quote:

The tripod legs on an AVX mount are stainless steel not chrome.

Stan




Thanks for info, even better.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carl N
super member
*****

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: carlcat]
      #6258963 - 12/17/13 09:01 PM

For anything use a product called Klasse. It's a German product I get at the Lexus dealer.
The advantage is that it is acrylic. You put it on like wax. But it last 6 months and leaves no residue like wax or any oil.
Water beads off like rain-x for 6 months, and NO residue.

I put it on my car and when I go to the car wash they can't believe I didn't wax my car before I drove up.

Oh and you can put I to any material, plastic even with no discoloration like wax or armor all.

Edited by Carl N (12/17/13 09:02 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #6259008 - 12/17/13 09:28 PM

Klasse products like KGS (Klasse Sealant Glaze) has been around for about 35 years now and is a very good product. It does require some surface prep before being applied and it is a bit more expensive than a high quality professional wax, but it will last a long time and it is an excellent protectant. I have used KGS before, but I'm just an old fashion guy and prefer a traditional wax. Just an "Old Dog' thing.

Stan


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #6259030 - 12/17/13 09:44 PM

I agree with Rod, these things are built to take some abuse.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maverick199
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6259478 - 12/18/13 05:27 AM

Quote:

I believe you are worried about absolutely nothing. My VX went through one of the most dew heavy, damp springs and summers in a long, long time. AND my CG5 has been used on the Gulf Coast and in Florida for nearly nine years and has nary a spot of rust anywhere.




+1 for the CG-5 having used it for two years where sea breeze sets in early. Nary a rust.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maverick199
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: Whats the best way to prevent rust on my AVX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #6259481 - 12/18/13 05:29 AM

Quote:

For anything use a product called Klasse. It's a German product I get at the Lexus dealer.
The advantage is that it is acrylic. You put it on like wax. But it last 6 months and leaves no residue like wax or any oil.
Water beads off like rain-x for 6 months, and NO residue.

I put it on my car and when I go to the car wash they can't believe I didn't wax my car before I drove up.

Oh and you can put I to any material, plastic even with no discoloration like wax or armor all.




Better try CeNano from Germany, unbelievable.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


Extra information
28 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 424

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics