Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
tbuzzi1

Reged: 01/14/09

Loc: Rockport,Tx
CG5/Vixen polaris mount
      #6258375 - 12/17/13 03:38 PM

The RA clutch bolt, the tension device that engages the clutch so the RA motor drives the mount must be kept tight. When I loosen it to manually use the RA axis the bolt backs off the threaded rod that goes through the clutch mechanism and eventually (very quickly) falls off the end of the threaded rod.
Can I use the slo mo control without loosening this clutch or will that damage the worm drive? Should I leave the clutch on all the time and just forget about the slomo adjustments on that axis??
The used mount came with just a knurled fitting that holds the threaded rod against the clutch pressure plate. It looked like any know that might have been attached to the knurling was just broken off. The rest of the mount has had some rough handling.
Thanks for the help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mr Magoo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: Indiana
Re: CG5/Vixen polaris mount new [Re: tbuzzi1]
      #6258855 - 12/17/13 07:48 PM

This thread belongs in Mounts forum.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #6260234 - 12/18/13 02:36 PM

CG5 and Vixen Polaris are two, unrelated mounts from different decades and manufacturers.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#6260944 - 12/18/13 09:22 PM

The clutch is there to allow you to use the manual slow motion controls.

If you are careful, it may be possible to get just enough pressure on the clutch to allow it to slip against the drive gear when using the slow motion controls.

The problem is though that sometimes if you get the tension correct to allow the motor to drive but still over-ride it with the slow-motion control, the gear might slip when the scope is changed to other postions (most scopes can't be perfectly balanced in all orientations).

Anyway, if you fiddle with it, you will find a clutch drag setting that will allow the motor to drive, but still allow some slip for manual motion.

I do this all the time on a Polaris mount.

Mine has the little toggle type lock, and if I fully toggle it, the lockup is to tight to manually override with the Slo-mo, but if I just push it tight enough to get enough drag to get the motor to drive, I can still over-ride it with the slow-mo.

But I have to tweak it from time to time.

Once you get the feel for the kind of pressure it takes, you can usually get it pretty close.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: CG5/Vixen polaris mount new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6260969 - 12/18/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

I do this all the time on a Polaris mount.

Mine has the little toggle type lock, and if I fully toggle it, the lockup is to tight to manually override with the Slo-mo, but if I just push it tight enough to get enough drag to get the motor to drive, I can still over-ride it with the slow-mo.

But I have to tweak it from time to time.

You may want to check the part of the pin that "locks" the shaft. You may be gouging into the metal. I've seen some mounts that have metal-on-metal contact with big gouges on the shaft. I use short lengths but similar-diameter nylon or bamboo instead of a steel pin.

tbuzzi1

Re: CG5/Vixen polaris mount new [Re: hottr6]
      #6262885 - 12/20/13 12:21 AM

I do have that "toggle" type set up . Guess I will just have to fiddle with it. Thanks for the information.

tbuzzi1

Re: CG5/Vixen polaris mount new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6262897 - 12/20/13 12:28 AM

Sounds like you have a mount very much like mine. Have you ever tried to use the setting circles? I finally found some pictures and literature via this forum about a vixen mount that is identical to my cg5 but the pictures are so small I can't be sure which circle is named what so cannot make heads or tails of the instructions. Using circles seems to be a lost art since the advent of goto mounts. May just have to forget about the circles and just use my dob method of finding things and let the ra drive keep them in the field of view.

sgtcombs

Reged: 11/18/12

Loc: Portland Oregon
Re: CG5/Vixen polaris mount new [Re: Mr Magoo]
      #6379819 - 02/16/14 05:48 PM

Quote:

This thread belongs in Mounts forum.

Ummm, it kinda is.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: CG5/Vixen polaris mount new [Re: sgtcombs]
      #6380918 - 02/17/14 11:28 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

I don't think the Polaris drive had any clutching. The Super Polaris, Great Polaris and the CG-5 did/do have clutches for the worm axles. They work differently.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: CG5/Vixen polaris mount new [Re: Geo.]
      #6381203 - 02/17/14 02:26 PM

Years ago I thought the Synta SVP clutch was cooler that the Vixen, so I swapped out my Vixen clutch. Only problem is that the gears are different, and my drive wasn't running at the proper speed. I thought there was something wrong with my Vixen drive. Swapping it back fixed everything...

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 584

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics