Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
Alex Tran

Reged: 12/17/13

Loc: California
My first ever image, via smartphone!
      #6259209 - 12/17/13 11:12 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

Hello CN forum!

Yesterday was a beautiful full moon, and my first day trying out my new telescope. I was able to mount my Galaxy S4 phone and stack+process a 30 second video to produce my first picture (shown here!). I used Lynkeos and GIMP since I am on a Mac.

I have a few questions for the community. First, are there any other suitable astrophotography programs (preferably free) I could use? Secondly, I know the words "smart phone" and "astrophotography" don't exactly fit together. I would like to know what are some of the limitations of using a Galaxy S4 (13MP) camera with it's limited features (no shutter speed, etc). I love visual astronomy, and would like to see how much I can do to image the brighter DSOs, like the Orion Nebula. So, if anyone has any words of knowledge or advice, I am more than willing to hear it! Thank you, and clear skies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
Re: My first ever image, via smartphone! new [Re: Alex Tran]
      #6259278 - 12/18/13 12:15 AM

good job and the simple fact coming from a smartphone !!! IMHO I've never used a mac but I'm switching once my laptop dies cause I can't stand win8 lol I'm sure you can run a windows emulator to use registax (free) and others regards

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
      #6259290 - 12/18/13 12:24 AM

Nice job! Be warned though, you are standing on a slippery slope. A smartphone up to the eyepiece sparked a desire for imaging that ran wild in me. I started out with Moon shots, then the planets and solar. Before long, I realized I was spending more time snapping pictures than I was observing.

Here are some of my best using only my iPhone 4S
(If you right-click and open the image in a new tab, you can see the full size):

Alex Tran

Re: My first ever image, via smartphone! new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #6259342 - 12/18/13 01:34 AM

Thanks for the input John and Mitch! I am currently looking into emulating Registax 6. Also, that platter of the solar system looks delectable, Mitch!

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

#6259350 - 12/18/13 01:43 AM

Have you looked into the different methods to run Windows on Mac? Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop 7, VMware Fusion 4, etc. This way you could have access to all of the editing programs offered to PC users without emulating them.

Alex Tran

#6259383 - 12/18/13 02:43 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Indeed I have. I don't have a license to Windows though, so I tried CrossOver to simply port Registax. However, it does not really work. Lynkeos and GIMP are giving me an okay start though, and I will do the bigger projects on my desktop. Here's my first Jupiter. I want to try other objects, but the sky has been fully cloudy for the past few days. Beginner's telescope curse.

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

#6259892 - 12/18/13 11:22 AM

Wow! You got that much detail out of Jupiter from your phone? The exposure setting on the S4 must be much lower than others on the market. When I imaged Jupiter, it was overexposed until I added a Moon filter. Even then, detail was scarce.

Nice job, needless to say.

Alex Tran

#6260209 - 12/18/13 02:24 PM

Thanks Mitch, and congrats on your Venus image- it's stunning! There are so many DSOs I want to look at and see what filters can do for my eyes and my phone. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but cloudy nights! Time for the waiting game, I'm afraid

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

#6260282 - 12/18/13 02:59 PM

Thank you, Venus is a fun one.

My phone can pick up the Pleiades, i'm sure yours will to. Based on the S4's fast exposure and sensitivity on Jupiter, i'd be willing to bet you could pick up the trapezium and maybe slight nebulosity in M42. I'm definitely curious to see the phones potential as my contract expires next month. I'm either going with the S4 or the Note 3, I haven't decided yet.

Alex Tran

#6260342 - 12/18/13 03:30 PM

Indeed, I am also curious on how it will perform. I can't wait to see how high-iso pictures will look compared to a stacked image from a video- and if filters will add any contrast. If only the clouds will let up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 399

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics