Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Variable Star Observing and Radio Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rachal

Reged: 04/07/09

Loc: Alexandria LA
Re: Carbon Stars new [Re: dan777]
      #6262327 - 12/19/13 05:11 PM

Quote:

The last time I looked at UU Aur was last January and my notes say "bright yellow-orange." I'll have to take another look at it.

Through my 7x42 binoculars last night, it seemed to have a deep red hue. It was too high for me to view through my C6 from my balcony; I'll have to check it out earlier in the evening.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Mighty Mo
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/12/13

Loc: South of North, North of South...
Re: Carbon Stars new [Re: Rachal]
      #6262565 - 12/19/13 08:00 PM

My last view of UU Aur was last Mar 7, when it was at around mag 5.4 (according to SkyTools). I also see and have recorded it several times as a beautiful, nice, bright yellow-orange star with the white companion showing easily. But Darian, you've made me curious. When the skies here clear, I'm going to have to have a look at it with my binos to see if I see any difference in color, and to challenge myself to see if I can find the companion.

SkyTools is currently reporting it to be mag 5.25 on the primary and 10.7 on the companion, with roughly 117" separation at 223*. Just a beautiful star all around.

Rachal

Reged: 04/07/09

Loc: Alexandria LA
Re: Carbon Stars new [Re: The Mighty Mo]
      #6262784 - 12/19/13 11:01 PM

Daniel, I didn't realize it was a double. I'll look for the companion. I haven't spent a lot of time specifically looking for red stars. I just happen to stumble across UU Aurigae several years and it really caught my eye. I made a notation in my atlas. I'll have to look at S Cep when the opportunity presents itself.

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Re: Carbon Stars [Re: Doc Willie]
      #6263526 - 12/20/13 11:21 AM

Here's the link (click here) to a past CN thread on media resources for carbon stars.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: Carbon Stars new [Re: JimK]
      #6394533 - 02/24/14 04:10 PM

Okay getting to this one a little late. I see Doc hasn't posted in a while, I was wondering how he was coming on the list...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS) 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2245

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics