Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jobryant
sage

Reged: 01/13/09

Chipped objective question
      #6263843 - 12/20/13 02:18 PM

Well my bad luck with optics continues. About an hour ago I had my Vixen knocked over by my 18 month old little boy. The objective now has a half moon chip about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch long. I've checked collimation and it is fine. My question now is will the chip effect the view at all?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: Jobryant]
      #6263854 - 12/20/13 02:23 PM

My Carton 100mm f/13 has a chip in the lens, now and again I might get the odd reflection, apart from that it performs fantastic.

Jobryant
sage

Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: Rutilus]
      #6263862 - 12/20/13 02:28 PM

Thanks for the reply Rutilus that helped ease the pain a bit.

jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
      #6263868 - 12/20/13 02:30 PM

You might consider placing some sort of black material over the chip if you do notice any issues like odd reflections.

I know that for chips and nicks (and gunshot holes) in large reflector primaries people will just black out the affected area of the mirror. All the damaged region is doing any more is degrading image quality, so it's a better solution to black it out than to leave it as is. Yes you lose light grasp, but the light that that chip is grasping is not going where you want it to go anyway.

gene 4181
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: n.e. ohio
Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: jbalsam]
      #6263872 - 12/20/13 02:32 PM

you might consider calling your homeowners insurance

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/27/09

Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA
Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: gene 4181]
      #6263926 - 12/20/13 03:05 PM

Too bad happened to me also! Feel your pain!
It will still provide great views thou!
You wont really notice unless you look thru the wrong end!

Jobryant
sage

Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: Tank]
      #6263976 - 12/20/13 03:33 PM

Thanks guys I'm starting to feel a bit better about it. I was able to test it out a bit and view seems to be like it should. I don't know if I'll ever be able to enjoy the scope as much as I use to knowing the chip is there. I think my kids new nickname is going to be Chip from now on.

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
      #6264025 - 12/20/13 04:07 PM

Just be glad it didn't fall on your son. Children can be much more expensive to fix.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #6264251 - 12/20/13 06:17 PM

I'm afraid the chip will affect your views. Have you taken the telescope out for a test?

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
      #6264430 - 12/20/13 08:35 PM

Quote:

You might consider placing some sort of black material over the chip if you do notice any issues like odd reflections.

I know that for chips and nicks (and gunshot holes) in large reflector primaries people will just black out the affected area of the mirror. All the damaged region is doing any more is degrading image quality, so it's a better solution to black it out than to leave it as is. Yes you lose light grasp, but the light that that chip is grasping is not going where you want it to go anyway.

Yes! The bullet wounds in the face of the 2.7m (107 inch) telescope at McDonald observatory were blacked out when i saw the mirror in person in 1979

Jobryant
sage

Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: GeneT]
      #6264455 - 12/20/13 08:47 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid the chip will affect your views. Have you taken the telescope out for a test?

Just during the day and I couldn't detect any issues caused from the chip.

jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
      #6264498 - 12/20/13 09:31 PM

Worst case scenario: you black out a 0.5"x0.75" section of your 114mm objective. You only lose 7.4% of your light gathering ability. Whoop-di-doo =) You'll never notice it.

jimegger
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/05

Loc: Palmer,Alaska
      #6264545 - 12/20/13 09:58 PM

I concur with blacking out the chip with some magic marker or paint even. Use something that will not flake off. The lens will perform as if the chip were not even there except for the slight and unnoticeable light loss.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: GeneT]
      #6264882 - 12/21/13 07:30 AM

Quote:

I used my Carton scope side by side on many occassions with my Tak TSA -102 and a FS-102, the planetary and Lunar
detail visible in the eyepeice was the same in all three scopes. Even with a chip in the lens, the Carton glass is good glass.
The re-sale value of the scope will be affected I'm afraid to say. That was the reason why I managed to get my Carton lens
at a very, very good price.

T1R2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N
      #6265778 - 12/21/13 05:48 PM

if you still have the chip, then drop some fly head cement on it and stick it back on, you'll never even notice it

just use very little, not even a full drop, as you don't want the excess to push out crack onto the lens. the good thing is, if it does, fly head cement is water soluble when not fully dry. also it dries clear, so it wont effect the views once you get it in place.

Edited by T1R2 (12/21/13 05:54 PM)

Jobryant
sage

Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: T1R2]
      #6265895 - 12/21/13 07:10 PM

Thanks everyone. I didn't know there were so many options for one to do for a chipped objective. Now that the initial shock has wore off I'll have to post a picture of it when I get a chance.

charen
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/05

Loc: New Zealand
      #6266106 - 12/21/13 10:04 PM

While you may not see any visual difference you will still KNOW it's there and if you are like me it will eventually drive you nuts.
I have sold 2x classic Japanese refractor's with chipped objective lens over the years which I stupidly caused by 1/ cleaning [!] and 2/ dropping.
Every time I got the scopes out a voice inside my head said 'it has chipped glass'. In the end I could not stand it any longer ! I spent more time worrying then observing.
EVERYTIME you use the scope you will be thinking about it. People who say not to worry etc. do not realize how human psychology operates. Sorry, I know that is not helpful, but trust me it will bug you.

Chris

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: charen]
      #6266161 - 12/21/13 10:50 PM

True the image may not be any less because of it but your pysche will be forever changed! You of course already are aware of this. Mike

Grava T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Chipped objective question new [Re: mikey cee]
      #6266478 - 12/22/13 07:07 AM

I have a vintage 60mm Pentax refractor with both elements in the objective chipped in different places. I had a chance to swap it out for a new objective but the chipped one just performed better. Kept it in and I can't see
any effect on the image at all. Hurts more looking at it so I just try to forget about it and enjoy the views.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Chipped objective question [Re: Grava T]
      #6267242 - 12/22/13 04:51 PM

While not a refractor, I recently managed to scratch the primary on a 10" Newt. I recently got. The danged screwdriver slipped while I was adjusting the retainer clips, resulting in a squiggly scratch about a half-inch long at the edge, near the clip! Looking through the focuser tube without an eyepiece, I was able to see it. However, with an eyepiece in the focuser...? Just as if it never happened!

Let it go, it now has "mojo" (ability to bounce back from a debilitating trauma and negative attitude) going for it!

Edited by mayidunk (12/22/13 04:56 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
33 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1254

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics