Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Identifying eyepiece aberrations new [Re: Starman1]
      #5964933 - 07/10/13 11:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Great post! (Where is #15? Don't want to miss out on anything )

Best,

I incorporated #15 into another point, but forgot to renumber #16.
My original notes had over 40 different points, but I became aware, after reading them, that most could only be identified in a lab, so I restricted the points to the ones most germane to field evaluation.

One thing I didn't mention was how an over-corrected eyepiece might cancel some under correction from a primary to result in an absence of spherical aberration in the final image. When eyepieces were made by hand to match the scopes made (in the 18th century, for example), I wonder if eyepieces were ever refigured to do just that.

Thanks Don; that facet of the possibility of an EP canceling spherical abberation in the scope's primary is very interesting and may help explain why some observers might feel strongly for or against certain EP's - it depends on the scopes that the EP is being used on to either give good or not-so-good views.

Best,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/30/03

Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)
Re: Identifying eyepiece aberrations new [Re: ibase]
      #5965212 - 07/11/13 05:53 AM

I have made this a sticky thread. When the thread dies down I will move it to "best of eyepieces thread"

Cheers

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: Identifying eyepiece aberrations new [Re: ausastronomer]
      #5979958 - 07/19/13 02:49 PM

Naglers have no aberrations.

Kraus recommends Naglers.

JustaBoy
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Identifying eyepiece aberrations new [Re: Kraus]
      #5979973 - 07/19/13 02:57 PM

Did you drink Kool-Aid for breakfast, Kraus?

Edited by JustaBoy (07/19/13 02:59 PM)

cuir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/07

Loc: Up north.
Re: Identifying eyepiece aberrations new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #5981248 - 07/20/13 11:25 AM

Saved on both PC and phone in a slightly modified version. (saved as HTML document with white fonts and black background).

Your post is joining a growing library of credible and notable text documents that can be good to have on hand in the field, specially at public events. It joins notable texts such as David Knisely's "Filter Performance Comparisons For Some Common Nebulae", a copy of The Delaware Valley Amateur Astronomers's Eyepiece Parameter Calculations, the Saguaro astronomy club's Best objects in the new general catalog By A.J. Crayon and Steve Coe, my spreadsheets and a few other texts of this nature.

It may be small an honor, but still, your post is joining my "best documents" shortlist. Thank you for the good work.

photiost
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/14/06

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Re: Identifying eyepiece aberrations new [Re: cuir]
      #6141000 - 10/16/13 02:06 PM

Well done !!

stevereecy

Reged: 09/15/05

Loc: North Florida
      #6220715 - 11/28/13 03:29 AM

Hi, Hope you can help. I just bought a used nagler. I tried it in two telescopes, both colimated, and had the same effect. Both scopes were reflects and had equilibrated their temps. When I looked at the Orion nebula, the gas cloud looked great, but all the bright stars like the trapezium looked mushy...I couldn't get them to snap into focus. Thinking that it might be the seeing conditions (doubtful because the sky looked good and wasn't twinkling), I turned to look at a distant light tower and I was still having trouble getting focus. Lastly, when I scanned the stars in general, I was seeing what sort of looked like the effect you might get if you were trying to look through crinkled celephane. This was very, very, VERY, subtle, but I could see it. Any first guesses regarding the problem?

Thanks in advance

Steve

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Identifying eyepiece aberrations new [Re: stevereecy]
      #6220891 - 11/28/13 08:43 AM

Hi,

Also have some Naglers (bought used too) and they are sharp & work very well, depending on the scopes being used.

L-R: Naglers 9mm (T1), 12mm (T2), 5mm (T6)

The Nagler 5mm does not provide sharp-focus with my 8" SCT/f10 because it yields too much power (400x); it's more suitable for other scopes in the stall like the refractors (2.5", 3", 4", 6").

What focal length is your Nagler? Have you used it on any other scopes (like refractors)? Thanks.

Best,

stevereecy

Reged: 09/15/05

Loc: North Florida
      #6221344 - 11/28/13 12:32 PM

The Nagler is a 9mm, and both scopes are 5mm.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Identifying eyepiece aberrations new [Re: stevereecy]
      #6221440 - 11/28/13 01:09 PM

The Nagler 9mm should focus fine on your 10" Dob, and so with the Cometron refractor. Having eliminated other possible sources of the problem (collimation, cool-down, seeing) the eyepiece could be at fault, perhaps you should arrange for a return/refund.

Best,

mnpd
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/28/05

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
Re: Identifying eyepiece aberrations [Re: ibase]
      #6263844 - 12/20/13 02:19 PM

Outstanding post! And, I thought I knew something of eyepieces. This one is printed out and stays near the top of my reference literature.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3586

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics