Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Lancashire, UK
Jupiter - 22nd December 2013
      #6267894 - 12/23/13 03:40 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

I'm having quite a good run of clear nights and tonight the seeing was good.

Here is Jupiter - I just missed the GRS but it was still a nice view.

Takahashi FS128 at x176, seeing AII, 21:50UT, temp 2'C, altitude 42', CM1=358.9, CM2=268.6

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter - 22nd December 2013 new [Re: dweller25]
      #6267931 - 12/23/13 04:28 AM

Now, you're talking, David. Okay, you managed so much more this time, I am happy for you.

Look at the undulating NEB and the range of festooning from prominent to softer. You captured the dark "spine" of the SEB, too, and the trailing wake. I like the patchy thin cloud streaking across the NTB, too. And that feature in the south near the trailing limb, not familiar with it...gonna go have a look. It looks interesting. Maybe BA coming around? It has a drooping cloud feature south if it, much like you show. So, maybe...

Well done, sir.

David, with this sketch I can tell you had a great night. That's so cool...no need to move.

Edit: NOPE! Not BA. What you captured are that formation of three ovals coming around the limb. They are just unresolved that far from the meridian and separating the darker cloud they are embedded in. Did you wait for them to come around?

Check out this image by Michel Jacquesson (203mm SC) about half way down the page.

Edited by Asbytec (12/23/13 04:37 AM)

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Re: Jupiter - 22nd December 2013 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6267937 - 12/23/13 04:40 AM

Thanks Norme,

I just edited the image as I drew it slightly wrong - the feature in the south was a light separation in the belt but it did not have a dark line on it's edge.

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

#6267939 - 12/23/13 04:48 AM

Quote:

Now, you're talking, David. Okay, you managed so much more this time, I am happy for you.

Look at the undulating NEB and the range of festooning from prominent to softer. You captured the dark "spine" of the SEB, too, and the trailing wake. I like the patchy thin cloud streaking across the NTB, too. And that feature in the south near the trailing limb, not familiar with it...gonna go have a look. It looks interesting. Maybe BA coming around? It has a drooping cloud feature south if it, much like you show. So, maybe...

Well done, sir.

David, with this sketch I can tell you had a great night. That's so cool...no need to move.

Edit: NOPE! Not BA. What you captured are that formation of three ovals coming around the limb. They are just unresolved that far from the meridian and separating the darker cloud they are embedded in. Did you wait for them to come around?

Check out this image by Michel Jacquesson (203mm SC) about half way down the page.

Wow - thanks for the info Norme.

The new drawing is a better representation of the southern belt - it just looked like a lighter patch splitting the belt. There was no indication of ovals so they must have merged into each other as you said. I packed up soon after this drawing, had I realised that they were ovals I would have stayed out until they hit the meridian.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#6267944 - 12/23/13 04:56 AM

Ag! I wish you would have, man! Yes, they are not merged, not yet, but they do blend together at that angle on the limb - just exactly as you show it. They are beautiful and Ken has been waiting to get a glimpse. He's gonna be *BLEEP*.

Yea, next time, man, if I can offer any advise...when you see something like that and not sure what it is, wait it out. Grrrr!

It may have been chilly out, so that's understandable. I usually pack it in after the sketch, too, but often times I will use the time observing Jupiter to, well, observe some more. To observe color, for example, and just get a look see at what follows the sketch. A lot of times you can freshen your already (almost finished) sketch during that time. You'll see something that is now on the meridian that was on the limb earlier. That's one trick to capturing more detail.

They will be around for a while, I hope you can catch them on the meridian in the next few days or so. Again, well done, David. You had a great night.

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

#6267958 - 12/23/13 05:18 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

Norme,

I am well pleased to have seen the area of this feature as it is new to me - next time I will hang on in there....

Hope you don't mind but I have compared my drawing to one of your previous drawings plus a photo taken through a 16" Dob all around the same CM so I can understand a little better what some of the more subtle features are. I think we all agree but I am seeing limited - such is life.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#6267983 - 12/23/13 06:15 AM

Hey, I am pleased, too, you got Ant II seeing and a great meridian to view.

Love the comparison, so much alike. Festoons (system I) probably changed up a bit, but that's fine. A confession, though. Those ovals looked much like you showed them on my own sketch. I waited for them to come around then back filled them where they were at the sketch start time. It's just when they come around and resolve, they are too beautiful to leave out.

What's amazing is you also captured that rather beautiful darker cloud in the north. That area is really difficult, the 16" image shows it much nicer - there are actually three cloud layers preceding the darker one. But, that's so hard to see as well as the image. What seems a little easier is that faint cloud above the sandy toned zone. It has a nice undulation to it.

You did a better job with the distinct SEB darker spine. Mine is a bit over worked.

Oh, almost forgot. See that faint white streak angling southward from the lead oval in the 16" image? Always wondered what that is. Can't see it, but it looks like a cool thing happening. Another interesting thing is that lone oval. It's either moved a bit or I placed it wrong. Sometimes those fleeting things are so hard to place precisely. You see them then their gone, so we try to jot it's location as best we can.

The GRS wake is markedly changed, the 16" Dob image must be a week old or so. Oooh! And the white spot in the NEB!

Hey, can I ask? Your NEB shows some apparent rifting in just about the right spots? Did you see them or is that an artifact of pencil sketching? Your post didn't mention them, so...

Okay, sorry for rambling...just enjoyed looking at the composite you set up.

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

#6268001 - 12/23/13 06:38 AM

All I could detect within the NEB was undulation which I tried to recreate but nothing definite to draw, so they are just pencil artifacts.

I am over the moon - if you pardon the pun - about the white ovals, will watch out for them next time....

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
      #6268023 - 12/23/13 06:57 AM

David,
Nice work. Glad your are getting some good clear skies. You did a fine job capturing the details. Very Nice.

Ken

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#6268024 - 12/23/13 07:01 AM

Ya, me too. They are a nice feature. Thats why I got my panties in a knot, if you'll excuse the pun.

Hey, great obs, David. Enjoyed bantering with you ábout it.

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/05

Loc: Jacumba, California
      #6268751 - 12/23/13 02:40 PM

Great work David!

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: Jupiter - 22nd December 2013 new [Re: kraterkid]
      #6269018 - 12/23/13 04:48 PM

David,

Excellent sketch. You might be seeing limited for now with the weather, but as your sketch shows not technically limited.

Merry Christmas, Dean

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #6269049 - 12/23/13 05:04 PM

David,

Nice sketch of Dec, 22nd Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Jupiter - 22nd December 2013 new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #6269383 - 12/23/13 08:21 PM

I like how you captured the trailing wake of the GRS and the festoons on the NEB.

Ed D

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/04

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Jupiter - 22nd December 2013 new [Re: Ed D]
      #6269740 - 12/23/13 11:54 PM

Very nice sketch, accurate and realistic great job.

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Re: Jupiter - 22nd December 2013 new [Re: Tommy5]
      #6269919 - 12/24/13 03:04 AM

Thank you all for your kind comments

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
      #6269979 - 12/24/13 04:56 AM

Wow! Great capture and comparisons...Outstanding!

-stray-

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Jupiter - 22nd December 2013 new [Re: stray1]
      #6271704 - 12/25/13 04:35 AM

Very good work with Jupiter.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter - 22nd December 2013 new [Re: Rutilus]
      #6272744 - 12/25/13 09:08 PM

David,

Fine sketch and the 3 together look fine for comparing. Well done.

Frank

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 360

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics