Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 23 Dec 1500UT new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6274304 - 12/26/13 07:48 PM

Dean, thank you. I have not seen the ROZ outright, maybe you can with more aperture. I wish you good luck. I can just see more or less where it is. It's seems to be defined by a brighter cut in the NEB at times. The best I can make out is a tiny finger of slightly darker cloud protruding into the NTrZ. It's not seen directly, but there is something there.

Yea, the NTrZ is a difficult nut to crack. There are really no high contrast features to see there. This bland zone demands a bit of study and deliberate attention, regardless. Sometimes it is light gray all over. Sometimes fleeting flashes of brighter whites can be seen along the northern NEB. And rarely at other times the southern NTrZ is just barely brighter than it's northern half. Often I neglect it because there is nothing that stands out to be seen. I forced myself to get into the habit of giving it a good once over. That can sometimes pay off with pale contrasts we might otherwise miss.

By the way, had Jupiter in Ant III-IV last night. Man, it washed out into a mosaic of blended and washed out hues with very little in the way of detail. The trailing wake was no longer a network of well defined streaks and softly billowing "nebula" confined between darker brown structures. It was just a lightly blurred hue tapering inside a darker blurred hue. Man, seeing makes a huge difference, maybe all the difference.

If you are like me and don;t pay much attention to the NTrZ, try giving it a good once over to see what it will offer up. It's a difficult and bland zone to observe. But, it needs deliberate attention rather than scanning the entire planet for those fleeting moments of detail. Ignore them for a few minutes and study the NTrZ intently by itself. It'll sometimes give itself up.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 553

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics