Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Jupiter 12-16 new
      #6258753 - 12/17/13 06:45 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Hello All,
I was able to get out last night before a bit of snow rolled in today. I started with nice clear cold skies at 12F winds SSW @ 4 MPH dew point of 4F.
I used my 203mm reflector with several magnifications from 160x to at highest 240x. My best view was with a W80A filter. I tried a 82A, and an apodizer

Start time 20:10 end time 20:56
System 1 = 282.92. System 2 = 237.22 System 3 = 34.92
Seeing 4/5

I was able to detect the GRS move during my observation . Europa had just cleared and Ganymede and Io sat as a double star. I noticed a great deal of boiling trailing the GRS and two noticeable festoons. My oldest daughter was out for some of the observation with her sky scanner looking at the full moon.

A very enjoyable night at the telescope.

Edited by kenrenard (12/17/13 07:28 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: kenrenard]
      #6259020 - 12/17/13 09:36 PM

If you saw the GRS move at those temperatures, I salute your frost bite.

Yea, the GRS wake is amazing and the festooning is pretty nice, too. At least it used to be, it's been almost a week since we've had clear skies and mosquitoes. Your sketch tells of the great view you had. You captured the boiling wake well, for and aft, and northern region, too. The south is kind of bland, unfortunately, so no surprise there.

Your daughter must have had a great time observing the moon. sticking with it in the cold. She was having a good time, too.

So, the W80A filter did it for you? I can't use filters, dunno why. Maybe it's the unnatural color. And with 6" aperture, I want all the light I can get. Some folks can put them to good use, as it appears you do.

Your seeing looks pretty good, thankfully, so I know very well you had a rewarding view of Jupiter. That's always so nice and is often worth the cold (there) and the mosquitoes (here.)

Well done, Ken, on your great observation and rendition. Thanks for sharing. Sorry for being verbose.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6259510 - 12/18/13 06:34 AM

Thanks Norme,
I was dressed pretty warm which helped and no wind is always the key:)

I was pretty surprised at the area around the GRS it is very interesting.

My daughter Emma lasted for some of the observation but, got bored after a bit. 7 year old!

The W80A worked really well, as did the apodizer.

I will take the cold over the Mosquitoes! It can be really uncomfortable in the summer observing at state parks.

Hope you get some clear skies.

Ken

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#6259553 - 12/18/13 07:34 AM

It is an intetesting and complex portion of Juputer. Sometimes when the GRS is visible, it takes a bit more motivation to get started. But its so cool to watch.

Hey, how well do you observe color on Jupiter? Does the filter affect it? It may be a dumb question, but I don't use them so I'm not familiar with, say, observing white features through a light blue filter. People say there's improved contrast. I have a cheap set but they hardly get used.

My son is showing intetest, too, but he's quite a bit older. He just picked up his first 4" reflector. I'm proud of him and urging him to look beyond ISON.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

#6259584 - 12/18/13 07:57 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

Norme,
I mainly use the colored filters to get detail not really color. The contrast was boosted quite a bit with the W80A and W82A. The light blue brought out some more highlights. In my 8 inch with the apodizer screen I see more browns, tan's and some reddish orange to my eye. I don't see a large amount of blue with the festoons. I usually move the screen around to adjust the darkness. It can become a rainbow of color in the spots around the planet but it helps the clarity. I may try to spray the Apodizer flat black to cut down the glare. I am also thinking of trying one of the girls tu-tu's over the end if I can get a large enough piece. I learned this from David Gray who was very helpful with the apodizer and it really works quite well. I am getting a yellow #11 filter to aid in that. From what I read that helps quite a bit. I also used an orange filter but didn't see much more except some of the poles better.

My oldest goes to some astronomy club nights and meetings and likes looking through the scopes. The little one who is three likes sunspots and the moon.

We use a sun funnel for the kids to view in the yard.

Ken

Edited by kenrenard (12/18/13 07:59 AM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6259589 - 12/18/13 08:08 AM

I like the sawtooth details in the SEB Ken. Nice job.

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6259625 - 12/18/13 08:43 AM

It took me a second to figure out what was attached to the eyepiece and what a sun funnel is. Never seen one before, nor even heard of them. That's kind of cool, especially for the kids. They look safe enough.

You seem to make good use of filters, I just never got the hang of it. David spurred a little interest and curiosity with comments about his multi aperture mask. I looked into them and apodizing and just decided not to go that route. Folks swear by both filters and apodizing, though. No doubt they work.

Does the apodizing screen cause additional glare outside of the normal rainbow or diffraction affect? Maybe this was the biggest detriment for me. Along with a boost in some contrast by redirecting light from the rings, they loose a tiny bit of resolution depending on the specs they are built to. I guess I just prefer the raw image.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

#6259676 - 12/18/13 09:18 AM

Thanks Pete,
It was a good view and very turbulent in the wake of the GRS.

Norme,
Here is the link for building the sun funnel.
http://transitofvenus.nl/wp/observing/build-a-sun-funnel/
I use it quite a bit. It works good to show kids sunspots and it can spur interest at public outreach events.

I don't see any additional glare on the actual planet just on outside black space areas. I like to play around with it. I often try the different filters to see what can be seen. I am not a fan of filters on the Moon I like the raw image. I do try on Planets though.

Ken

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #6259966 - 12/18/13 12:12 PM

Ken,

Nice sketch of the Dec. 16th Jupiter

CS,KLU,

Tom

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #6260062 - 12/18/13 12:55 PM

Hi Ken,

Nice work on this Jupiter sketch--lots of detail. I always use filters when I'm observing Jupiter because of the contrast enhancement. I always spend a lot of time looking in integrated light too-that is often the most pleasing view.

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: Special Ed]
      #6260195 - 12/18/13 02:20 PM

Ken,

Great sketch of Jupiter. I've used a W80a filter on Jupiter similar to a Baader MSG. I like the Baader better. I also use an apodizer which is the most important tool I use for planetary viewing. There's hardly a night where the apodizer doesn't improve the view.

Dean

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6260345 - 12/18/13 03:31 PM

Nice work with Jupiter.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: Rutilus]
      #6260933 - 12/18/13 09:15 PM

Thanks,
Tom, Michael, Dean, and Rutilus,

Dean,
I am not familiar with the Baader MSG! I agree the apodizer is a good tool. I use a grease splatter screen I found in a kitchen cabinet for my apodizer. I have to try something else as well.

Ken

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
      #6261006 - 12/18/13 10:05 PM

Ken,

This sketch looks very good. I would require at least 8 more degrees to consider sketching. You must have antifreeze for blood.
Well done.

Frank

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: frank5817]
      #6261017 - 12/18/13 10:17 PM

Ken,

The Baader Moon Sky Glow filter is pretty good on planets. I enjoy it on the Moon as well. It's a subtle effect. Increases contrast a bit. But nothing like the apodizer. I used fiberglass screening for windows to construct mine. Seems to do the trick.

Dean

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6261374 - 12/19/13 07:07 AM

Thanks Frank,
Many years living in the cold have helped for Stargazing!

Dean,
I will have to look into the Moon Sky Glow filter. The apodizer is an interesting tool. I will have to try the window screen. I get some glare on mine with the splatter screen since it is shiny. Thanks for the tip.

Ken

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #6262754 - 12/19/13 10:26 PM

Ken, that is a terrific observation and sketch. The SEB is beautifully seen with those undulating waves.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jupiter 12-16 new [Re: Chopin]
      #6263105 - 12/20/13 07:07 AM

Thanks Jason,
The turbulence is pretty amazing. I would love to see it in an even larger scope.
I haven't had favorable weather since. We have been clouded in and the weekend doesn't look any better.

Ken

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
      #6270180 - 12/24/13 09:06 AM

Its fun you take time to sketch Ken. Nice.

Andre

dweller25
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Lancashire, UK
Re: Jupiter 12-16 [Re: Andrev]
      #6270284 - 12/24/13 10:12 AM

Ken, you caught the turbulence by the GRS very well.

Seasons greetings to you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 484

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics