Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

T2 Adapter question
      #6274201 - 12/26/13 06:56 PM

Posting here because I felt like my chances of getting an answer were best here.

Santa brought me a Baader Solar Wedge for Christmas.

I want to mount my binoviewer to moumt my Mark V to it directly using a Quick Connect Ring.

The Baader part that is supposed to do this is the T2-27 150 8035.

Ageena Astro sells a T-07 which appears to be pretty much the same thing at half the price.

Does anyone know if this Blue Fireball is just a Generic T2-27?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tak North
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/28/07

Re: T2 Adapter question new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6274702 - 12/27/13 12:51 AM

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've never mounted any of my T2s to my Baader Wedge (I have the old model anyway). But I would just call or email Bob Luffel at Alpine Astro. He knows everything there is to know about Baader adapters!

Kunama
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/22/12

Re: T2 Adapter question new [Re: Tak North]
      #6274825 - 12/27/13 04:01 AM

Hi Ed, is it your plan to attach T2-27 to the output side of the wedge with the OD 3.0 ND & 0.6 ND attached to the T2-27 and then the Quick changer (black clamp ring) to the
The T2-27 followed by the Quick Change Ring (stainless steel ring) to the Mk V thereby removing the ClickLock EP holder?

The Blue .... T-07 ring looks the same but apparently can't be used the same way as apparently once you attach the ND filter to the adapter the adapter can no longer be screwed into the diagonal output.
For the $18 difference its not worth messing about with other brands.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: T2 Adapter question new [Re: Kunama]
      #6275003 - 12/27/13 09:09 AM

Well, to be honest, the Baader Wedge digram is not at all clear on how this configuration works.

But this is the goal, to connect the Quick Connect Ring to the top of the wedge and eliminate the clicklock eyepeice holder.

I don't like the height of the Clicklock because it raises the moment arm of the binoviewer so much that it makes it hard for focuser rotation lock to hold the weight against rotation.

I read the Agena page and was confused because if the Blue Fireball has the same threads as the T2-27, I don't know why the T2-27 would work and the T-07 would not.

The ring that holds the filters in the Wedge is SCT thread on the outside, but on the inside end, it has standard filter threads and it works fine in the wedge, so not sure why the T-07 would not work if it has SCT on the Outside and M48 on the inside.

I read the Ageena page that gives this warning, but this seems to be exactly what the ring that comes with the wedge does. SCT on the outside with standard 2" filter threads on the inside of one end.

This makes me think that the Ageena page is not really correct about this.

But I am going to ask them to look at it.

I am in fact getting tired of buying Baader rings and spacers.

I love the system, but the parts are kind of expensive. I must have $400 tied up in T2 adapters and Quick Connect rings.

If the Blue Fireball works, I intend to use it, and if I can find a Blue Fireball equivilent in the future, It would be my intention to start using them.

Love Baader stuff, but $45 for a threaded adpater is kind of on the high side.

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6276808 - 12/28/13 09:13 AM

Just a follow-up post.

I will know the answer to this question by Tuesday maybe. I have the Blue Fireball T-07 on the way. Will post right here when I have tried fitting it to the wedge.

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6281228 - 12/30/13 02:24 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Ok, I have the answer.

I had asked if the Blue Fireball T-07 was a viable alternative to the much more expensive Baader T2-27.

Arrived today.

Worked perfectly. The ND and SC were easily mounted in the nose of the BF T-07 and there was no issue with clearance when inserted into the Baader Safety Wedge.

the T2 Quick Connect ring went right on with enough turns to be confident that the mounting is secure.

Finish on the adapter was very nice. Clean machining and good anodizing.

I love Baader stuff, but it is death by a thousand cuts as far as pricing goes. The BF T-07 is a far more cost effective way to mount the Mark V, Televue Bino Vue, or Maxbright binoviewers directly to the Baader Wedge.

Edited by Eddgie (12/30/13 11:12 PM)

mhilscher

Reged: 07/13/11

Loc: Cologne, Germany
      #6282722 - 12/31/13 03:45 AM

Eddgie, once again, thank you for sharing your wisdom...good to know alternatives

Space Dragon

Reged: 02/19/12

Loc: Scotland UK
Re: T2 Adapter question new [Re: mhilscher]
      #6282736 - 12/31/13 04:07 AM

Good solution Eddgie, I always look at the Blue Fireball stuff as well, good to know its decent quality.
Do you know or can you estimate the light path through the wedge?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: T2 Adapter question new [Re: Space Dragon]
      #6283023 - 12/31/13 09:33 AM

I have not measured it but if it is sunny today, I will try to remember to do so and post here.

I know that it was quite a lot and I was worried that I would not be able to reach focus with the 55mm extension in place. I was worried that there would not be enough in trave with the wedge, but when I was using the 10mm SCT to T2 I had no problem. I want to say that it required about 25mm more than the T2 Mirror.

I will try to get the measurement today though over the standard T2 Mirror, which I think required 14mm more in travel than the T2 Prism at f/7.

Also, I should point out.... I was running the Wedge with the 10mm SCT to T2 Connector before I got the Blue Fireball. For someone with a fork mounted SCT that wants to run the Wedge on a refractor, but wants to use their Maxbright, Mk V, or other T2 complient BV on an SCT, this would allow you go re-utilize the same connector on the nose of the diagonal for that application. It would not be quite as short as the Blue fireball but it would allow for only haveing to buy one adapter.

I choose to buy what it takes to keep me from screwing and unscreweing a bunch of rings and adapters all the time, but for someone on a budget, that also has an SCT, it may make more sense to buy the 10mm SCT to T2 and run that on the top of the Wedge, and use it on the nose of a stanared T2 Prism for the SCT.

crow
sage

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: BC, Canada
      #6283040 - 12/31/13 09:44 AM

Nice. Blue Fireball are new to me and look like they make cool stuff for half the price.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: T2 Adapter question new [Re: crow]
      #6283097 - 12/31/13 10:08 AM

Well, this is the first Blue Fireball part I have purchased, so I was curious about it anyway.

Others have reported using varius Blue Fireball adapters in the past and seemed pleased with them, so I did not anticpate quality problems.

My concern was that on the Agena web page, they say that the SCT thead and T2 Threads can't be used at the same time.

This did not make sense to me because the Baader part uses the T2 thread and SCT thead at the same time with no issue, so I could not understand why this would not work with the T-07.

A note to Manish confirmed that the T-07 only differed in the lenght of the treaded portions, but that all of the tread pitchs were the same, so I thought is should work. I could see no reason why it would not.

And of course it did work.

So, not sure if the cautiong on the Agena web page is valid or not, but at least as far as the Baader Wedge, we know now that it works perfectly, and it would appear to be a Baader T2-27 equivilent.

Again, I love Baader stuff. But I must have spend $300 to $400 dollars on different Baader connectors in the last year and a half. I love the flexibility you get, but the costs really run up!

Space Dragon

#6283206 - 12/31/13 11:06 AM

Quote:

I have not measured it but if it is sunny today, I will try to remember to do so and post here.

I know that it was quite a lot and I was worried that I would not be able to reach focus with the 55mm extension in place. I was worried that there would not be enough in trave with the wedge, but when I was using the 10mm SCT to T2 I had no problem. I want to say that it required about 25mm more than the T2 Mirror.

I will try to get the measurement today though over the standard T2 Mirror, which I think required 14mm more in travel than the T2 Prism at f/7.

Also, I should point out.... I was running the Wedge with the 10mm SCT to T2 Connector before I got the Blue Fireball. For someone with a fork mounted SCT that wants to run the Wedge on a refractor, but wants to use their Maxbright, Mk V, or other T2 complient BV on an SCT, this would allow you go re-utilize the same connector on the nose of the diagonal for that application. It would not be quite as short as the Blue fireball but it would allow for only haveing to buy one adapter.

I choose to buy what it takes to keep me from screwing and unscreweing a bunch of rings and adapters all the time, but for someone on a budget, that also has an SCT, it may make more sense to buy the 10mm SCT to T2 and run that on the top of the Wedge, and use it on the nose of a stanared T2 Prism for the SCT.

That's very useful to know Eddgie, an unexpected thread on top of the wedge.
That reminds me of a post where someone unscrewed the EP holder on top of a Lunt 60 Ha to reveal a T2 thread, unexpected and very welcome as his MkVs went straight on.....that's the Ha scope I'd go for.

No hurry on the light path Eddgie, just as and when, it would be good to know for future reference.

I know what you mean about the growing mountain of adaptors, I must remember not to total it all up.

Thanks once again....:-)

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: T2 Adapter question new [Re: Space Dragon]
      #6283945 - 12/31/13 04:57 PM

Ok, I just measured the difference between the Safety Prism and the T2 Mirror.

With the same configuration (Blue Fireball T-07 on the Wedge, Quick Connect ring, Mark V) vs the T2 Mirror with Quick connect ring and Mark V.

The difference was almost exactly 25mm more in travel for the wedge so that would be about 77mm total in the shorest configuration.

Now I think this makes sense. The wedge is in what appears to be a 2" diagonal housing, and most 2" diagonals have about 75mm of light path though the body (not including the eyepeice holder).

And I believe that the T2 Max Mirror is about 52mm or so.

So, total light path with the wedge and and the BV mounted directly is about 77mm (not including the BV of course).

And my previous measurment of the T2 Mirror vs the T2 Prism was that the Mirror took I think 14mm millimeters than the standard prism (not the Zeiss, which is a bit longer).

So, about 38mm for the prism about 52mm for the Max mirror, and about 77mm for the wedge with the T2-27 or Blue Fireball T-07.

Space Dragon

#6285253 - 01/01/14 10:57 AM

Thanks Eddgie.......good to know.

Manish
Vendor (AGENA AstroProducts)

Reged: 02/22/05

Loc: Los Angeles Area, CA
      #6293031 - 01/04/14 11:57 PM

>>So, not sure if the cautiong on the agena web page is valid or not

The caution is correct and valid. The SCT and T threads are on opposite sides of the adapter and you can use both simultaneously. The caution is about the SCT and M48 threads that are on the same side and which cannot be used simultaneously.

Kind regards,
Manish
www.AgenaAstro.com

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: T2 Adapter question new [Re: Manish]
      #6293401 - 01/05/14 09:20 AM

Well, as the pitcure above shows, it must work in at least some applications.

In the above picture, the T-07 is being used with the Baader Quick Connect ring on the T2 thread.

The Baader ND 3.0 and Solar Continuum filters are theaded into the M48 thread on the T-07, and this was all threaded into the SCT thread on the top of the Baader wedge.

So, bout the M48 and SCT threads are being used at the same time.

Maybe the Baader filters are smaller in diamater than other filters. Will know soon enough.. I have one of your ND filters on the way.

But it worked fine in the application I needed it for, and again, all three threads are in use at the same time.

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6293402 - 01/05/14 09:20 AM

Well, as the pitcure above shows, it must work in at least some applications.

In the above picture, the T-07 is being used with the Baader Quick Connect ring on the T2 thread.

The Baader ND 3.0 and Solar Continuum filters are theaded into the M48 thread on the T-07, and this was all threaded into the SCT thread on the top of the Baader wedge.

So, bout the M48 and SCT threads are being used at the same time.

Maybe the Baader filters are smaller in diamater than other filters. Will know soon enough.. I have one of your ND filters on the way.

But it worked fine in the application I needed it for, and again, all three threads are in use at the same time.

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6296402 - 01/06/14 04:45 PM

Ok, will PM you this as well.

The reason this worked for me (using both the SCT thread and the internal M48mm thread) is because the Baader fitlers that come with the Safety Wedge are smaller in diameter than the Lumicon filters you sell.

The difference is not much, but just enough to keep the Lumicon from clearing.

So, it looks like the Baader ND filters have to be used in this application because even the Baader T-27 adapter will have this issue if used with a non Baader ND filter (though maybe there are some that have the slightly smaller diameter of the Baader).

So your web page is correct in that standard M48 filters will not work, but the Baader filters obviously have been designed to work in the solar wedge and not have any issues clearing (the internal collar is SCT thread and the Baader fitlers work fine).

So at least we now know why I thought your web page was incorrect, and in fact, it is the right thing to say because my bet is that the Baader NDs are intentionally made a tiny bit undersize.

But the Baader ND and SC filters are fine with the T-07.

Regards,
Ed

Edited by Eddgie (01/06/14 04:53 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 753

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics