Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old? new [Re: Raginar]
      #6278903 - 12/29/13 10:54 AM

I picked up a Celestron First Scope,76mm f/3.95 dob style, for my 8 year old Grand Daughter for Christmas. Took it into my woodworking shop just to see what Orion Nebula would look like thru a window in there.I could not believe the view thru it with both a 32mm plossl and a 25mm meade plossl.
I am very happy with what the scope was capable of even thru a thermopane/insulated glass window.
It is way to cold to have her,my Granddaughter, outside at night, in the winter, as she would lose interest too fast.
So actual first light for her and the scope will not be 'til spring.
When and if she gains more interest,I will upgrade the scopes for her.

Edited by tim57064 (12/29/13 10:56 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old? new [Re: tim57064]
      #6279337 - 12/29/13 02:59 PM

Telescope for sure. You just need to show them how to find objects.

An android or iOS device with a planetarium program helps too.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old? new [Re: rg55]
      #6281022 - 12/30/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

I have a couple of grandsons in this age range and I was wondering what thoughts or suggestions you might have for a first observing tool. I received my first telescope at the age of 10 (a Mayflower reflector) but am wondering about something for younger folks.

Thanks for reading and your ideas!

My neighbors have several kids that are all between 6 and 10 years old. They all seem to prefer the small refractors when they stop by for my "driveway star parties." I have several scopes set up but they always like to use the ST-80. It's easy for them to use, to focus, and manually move.

obin

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old? [Re: obin robinson]
      #6281177 - 12/30/13 01:51 PM

To be truthful, that 7-8 year old can handle the cold better then these old bones......

vismundcygnus

Reged: 11/04/13

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old? new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6334835 - 01/25/14 01:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a couple of grandsons in this age range and I was wondering what thoughts or suggestions you might have for a first observing tool. I received my first telescope at the age of 10 (a Mayflower reflector) but am wondering about something for younger folks.

Thanks for reading and your ideas!

My neighbors have several kids that are all between 6 and 10 years old. They all seem to prefer the small refractors when they stop by for my "driveway star parties." I have several scopes set up but they always like to use the ST-80. It's easy for them to use, to focus, and manually move.

obin

That is interesting, Obin. My girlfriend and I have been looking at scopes for her son to use this summer. I have a Galileoscope I thought about adding a focuser too, but I think the field of view might be too narrow. I can't decide between the Orion Funscope, or an ST80. Seems like either are easy to use, but I worry about longterm collimation on the funscope. I think the wide field of view would make it easier to find things than the f/10 Galileoscope.

JH

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old? new [Re: vismundcygnus]
      #6338689 - 01/27/14 12:37 PM

The ST80 can always be used down the road as a finder for a larger scope, for beginning AP, as a guider scope, etc....should they stay in the hobby, and can be sold very easily should they not.....

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old? new [Re: rg55]
      #6343125 - 01/29/14 01:14 PM

Richard, whatever you decide to get your grandchildren in the way of optical aid, it would be best to make certain the instrument will be secured during daylight hours, at least until they're a bit older.

Young children's mental processes aren't fully developed, thus they can do very foolish things, especially if egged on by similarly reason-challenged peers. A glance at the Sun on a dare could easily lead to a lifetime of recriminations for all concerned.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old? new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #6343584 - 01/29/14 04:31 PM

Very, very, good point. young children should never be allowed to use a scope without supervision....

vismundcygnus

Reged: 11/04/13

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old? new [Re: Raginar]
      #6354544 - 02/03/14 10:49 PM

I was thinking earlier about the possibility of a spotting scope for a young boy. He travels a bit so it would need to be compact for him to take it with him everywhere, and fairly rugged as well. Does anyone have experience with some of the smaller spotting scopes (50-70mm)? The zoom eyepiece seems like a plus as well; there would be no fumbling around with eyepieces and no worry about the usual trash that comes with a "beginner" scope. I think the ST80 might be just a tad big for this kid since doesn't live with us year round so I would like something he could take easily back and forth.

I can understand the optics might not be as good as some telescopes, and definite magnification limitations, but otherwise a spotting scope with a zoom seems like a great way to get a young kid on the move started.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3947

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics