Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Harold Suiter Book Version differences
      #6285908 - 01/01/14 04:21 PM

Can anyone tell me the differences in the new verses the old version of "Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes" by Harold Suiter ? Is it worth having the older version?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike I. Jones
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/02/06

Loc: Fort Worth TX
Re: Harold Suiter Book Version differences new [Re: tag1260]
      #6287187 - 01/02/14 10:11 AM

Nah, just get the newer version.
Mike

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Harold Suiter Book Version differences new [Re: Mike I. Jones]
      #6287532 - 01/02/14 12:41 PM

Quote:

Nah, just get the newer version.
Mike

I have the first version, and have been thinking about getting the newer one. However, if the newer version is not substantially different from the earlier version, then buying it would be a waste of money.

Could you please provide some more details as to what we would gain by getting the newer version, as opposed to staying with the earlier version we already have?

Thanks!

JohnH
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/05

Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!
Re: Harold Suiter Book Version differences new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6287561 - 01/02/14 12:58 PM

As near as I could tell, there were color versions of some simulated views but no real changes to the text

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
      #6288432 - 01/02/14 08:33 PM

Ed Moreno [Edggie] wrote a review of the first edition on Cloudy Nights (click here for the link) and another review for the second edition on AstroMart (click here for the link).

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Harold Suiter Book Version differences new [Re: JimK]
      #6288618 - 01/02/14 10:06 PM

Apparently, Suiter addresses Roland's comments on the secondary shadow break out in the new version, from what I gather. Someone mentioned he discusses something about diffraction in terms of double stars, but that commentator would not elaborate. Maybe the review above touches on that, gotta read it. I have the older version.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#6288822 - 01/03/14 12:46 AM

Quote:

Ed Moreno [Edggie] wrote a review of the first edition on Cloudy Nights (click here for the link) and another review for the second edition on AstroMart (click here for the link).

Unfortunately, while Ed's review of the second edition is good, he doesn't really discuss differences between the two editions that might prompt someone who already owns the first edition to want to buy the second edition.

BigDob Al

Reged: 12/31/13

#6289623 - 01/03/14 12:57 PM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me the differences in the new verses the old version of "Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes" by Harold Suiter ? Is it worth having the older version?

Thanks

I have the old version. Found the new version T.O.C. here:
https://www.willbell.com/tm/tm5.htm
From the titles it appears there are plenty of differences , mostly additions .

mark cowan
Vendor (Veritas Optics)

Reged: 06/03/05

Loc: salem, OR
Re: Harold Suiter Book Version differences new [Re: BigDob Al]
      #6289919 - 01/03/14 03:27 PM

Probably just go get the new edition as, let me see, here, it's a NEW edition. And the original was chock full of goodies.

Best,
Mark

mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
Re: Harold Suiter Book Version differences new [Re: mark cowan]
      #6290196 - 01/03/14 06:09 PM

Quote:

Probably just go get the new edition as, let me see, here, it's a NEW edition. And the original was chock full of goodies.

Best,
Mark

New edition has extra subchapters, comes with extra software, has Zemax simulations . Plenty of extra stuff to justify buying the new one.

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Re: Harold Suiter Book Version differences new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6292478 - 01/04/14 06:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Unfortunately, while Ed's review of the second edition is good, he doesn't really discuss differences between the two editions that might prompt someone who already owns the first edition to want to buy the second edition.

True, but near the end of the second review (last 5 or 6 para) he discusses reasons why one might want the second edition, and why he considers it worthwhile to have.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

#6292514 - 01/04/14 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

True, but near the end of the second review (last 5 or 6 para) he discusses reasons why one might want the second edition, and why he considers it worthwhile to have.

Unless I'm missing something (and just to be sure, I went back and reread the last part of that review...), I cannot see where he provides any actual, concrete examples of what it is about the second version that makes it definitively better than the first version.

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 556

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics