Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Jupiter 1 Jan 1630UT new
      #6287001 - 01/02/14 07:43 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

I wondered how I was ever going to sketch this. Jupiter's EZ was very bright with no festoons at first. It was also noticeably boiling in the atmosphere. Coming off of two great nights, this two hour observation seemed disappointing. It wasn't really, so I took the time to finalize the sketch.

Quickly, there were some smaller festoon-like protrusions emanating into the EZ from the SEB with what looked like diagonal white streaks between them. They are much easier in the sketch than in the eyepiece. The festooning seemed nonexistent at first, but it came visible. It was weak toward the preceding limb.

Some folks mentioned the braided appearance of the NEB. I THOUGHT I saw one diagonal white streak near the central meridian. I did see three ovals south and preceding the GRS.

The GRS, I try to represent it accurately. The orange showed nicely, with some darker fluttering detail inside. It has a faint structure coming off it and is preceded by a very faint STB that fans out near the GRS.

The north was interesting, but LRS-1 was not seen. White oval Z was, it's that little dash like feature in the NTrZ, I think, preceding that huge undulation.

Seeing Ant III early settling to Ant II and III later. Observation made at 240x with 8mm TMB II. At 1630UT, System I was 304 and System II was 139.

Not one of the better observations, but some interesting stuff to see.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Jupiter 1 Jan 1630UT new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6287044 - 01/02/14 08:22 AM

Norme, nice observation and sketch. I couldn't get the detail on the NPR and SPR like you did, but the GRS as well as the NEB were impressive.

Ed D

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Jupiter 1 Jan 1630UT new [Re: Ed D]
      #6287057 - 01/02/14 08:33 AM

Norme,
Great observation and sketch. The little ovals are really nice. The GRS in your sketch has some interesting details. I really like the way you rendered this. I will need to live through your sketches since we are in a winter storm warning!

Ken

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #6287088 - 01/02/14 08:59 AM

Good morning from New England! Norme, nice longitude. Now we're into my comfort zone. Lets get straight to brass tacks.

That detail in the GRS area is chock full of activity. I believe I must have seen that pale grey feature preceding the GRS when I sketched a few days ago. It sort of melded with, or disappeared behind Ganymede during it's transit. But it seemed to me that there was a possible elongation of the greyness of Ganymede, and now I regret abandoning my gut and questioning my eyes that night. The mottling in the storm itself is interesting, and I really want a touch better seeing so I can eek that out. I'm sure there is available info there and I'm determined to grab it.

The NEB catches my attention next, with that large depression bulging from the EZ between those two faint but sizable festoons. It now seems like there might be a correlation there with the pale streak which is separating the dark and light horizontal bands in the NEB. The streak just sits there between them, as if it may be a zone of billowing gas at the edge of two fronts. I'm just trying to think in meteorological terms. Probably a "fail" on my part, but hey, that's what keeps this noggin going.

I love that little sandy dash breaking from the NEB into the NTrZ.

Back to the SEB, good eyes to sneak out that faint wave in the "teardrop-of-pale" preceding the GRS. Either that's a morphing of the feature, or I flat out missed it the other day. One way or the other I'm glad to see it here.

Sorry to be all over the place, just having a hard time keeping my thoughts in order.

The multiple mini-festoons pulling from the SEB are terrific, like a serrated knife.

Also intriguing is that soft "oval" preceding the long dark rust line, just to the north west on the border of the NPR. Good catch, whatever that is (oval, tendril...dunno, I'll have to find a similarly timed photo to verify).

All around amazing observation, Norme.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 1 Jan 1630UT new [Re: Chopin]
      #6287359 - 01/02/14 11:29 AM

Ed, love that crooked NEB. Quite striking.

Ken, got tired of the GRS kind of slurring about and really trying to lock it down. I actually am starting to think I can see it's darker core, but not clearly.

I wanna live through your sketches. It would be interesting to get together and watch each other work.

Jason, trust your gut. It's really there. It does morph so very slightly. That lower part is sometimes brighter and more defined, sometimes it seems like it's kind of softly raining faint cloud southward. Next time, take a closer look and see what you see. I know seeing is not that great, but maybe it will show you something with your aperture. Dunno, but I hope so.

Edit: just noticed your template, you nailed that preceding wake structure. I am confused?

Not sure what's going on weather wise. You're guess is as good as anyone's and better than mine. As Ed commented, that crooked NEB is striking.

I think than sandy dash is White Oval Z or now being informally dubbed Red Oval Z. That's about all I can see of it, when it can be seen.

The festoons were pretty tough. Oh, that "oval" in the north is a longer cloud that is just over the limb. I almost sketched it earlier, but the GRS was not up yet, so I scrapped it.

I have a confession to make. Do not try this at home, even accidentally. Seeing was kind of rough, was supposed to be good. Dropped down to 170x to clean it up and did an hour long sketch out of focus. Saw some stuff, though. Serious. Seeing got better on me and I didn't notice until I went to touch it up...SNAP! Clear as a bell. Went to 240 to look around and confirm detail. Too tired to start another. Gaaaa!

Tired, good night.

Edited by Asbytec (01/02/14 11:31 AM)

Chopin
Canis Insanus

#6287410 - 01/02/14 11:46 AM

Wow, Norme! 170x?!? you dropped down into my kind of magnification range.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

#6287465 - 01/02/14 12:17 PM

Quote:

...just noticed your template, you nailed that preceding wake structure. I am confused?...

Don't be confused. Perhaps I caught it and didn't realize it. I feel like maybe my scale of the soft area is too big to actually be the preceding wake structure. Actually, I am confused, because I'm now starting to wonder if that spot was actually the structure, and Ganymede wasn't visible against Jupiter that night?!?!? Really, that was a toughie for me, as it was the first Ganymede transit I'd watched (closely, anyway). And the albedo of Ganymede is so different from Io and Europa that I simply lost my orientation in that region. Even in photos from that same transit I can't verify where exactly Ganymede was once it crossed the limb. Who knows? Chock it off to novice ignorance.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Jupiter 1 Jan 1630UT new [Re: Chopin]
      #6287824 - 01/02/14 03:04 PM

Nice work Norme.

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: Jupiter 1 Jan 1630UT new [Re: Rutilus]
      #6287932 - 01/02/14 03:44 PM

Norme,

Excellent sketch once again. This side has a lot going on. The light patch preceding GRS is cool the way it wraps around the GRS. 3 ovals south of GRS and preceding is a great catch. The small festoons hanging below the SEB are special. The festoon base above WSZ is a complex one. The area you mentioned for WSZ seems right it's a lot harder to see than last year. The dark oval in the NNTez is close to the position of LRS. Not sure on that though.

Dean

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter 1 Jan 1630UT new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6288435 - 01/02/14 08:35 PM

Those SEB reverse festoons are the new Jovian Grail for me. That and those diagonal dashes you picked off in another observation on the following limb of the SEB. As s matter of fact - in the same location you have the reverse festoons (more or less). The SEB festoons look a little easier to see than the diagonal dashes in the same belt. Is that how it seems visually.

The north polar regions preceding limb has the smallest dark spot and very small belt like feature nearby. Looks like it was a difficult catch . Harder than the white spots?

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter 1 Jan 1630UT new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6288477 - 01/02/14 09:00 PM

Jason, I'd think Ganymede can be seen, so no doubt you may have been looking at it and the cloud. If it was set against that cloud structure, it was probably hard to distinguish against the lighter background. It's possible that area with Ganymede is made even more difficult in lessor seeing, so it seems it's possible to see both if not on the difficult side. I don't know what you saw, but no doubt it was as you say. That cloud is not really a "spot" like Ganymede. So if you saw a spot, that sound's like Ganymede. Your views, your sketches and technique, and your instrument are far from "novice." If Ganymede was there, I'm laying cold hard cash that's what you saw even if it was a "toughie." It likely is tough.

Thank you, Rut. This one was uninspiring coming off of two superb nights. But, it became inspiring in that there was actually something to see after 2 hours of observing. The uninspiring sketch suddenly became something useful.

Dean, after further review, there really aren't any festoon like features there. What does seem to be there is some molted white and blue cloud, though. That feature is my interpretation of what was seen, not having an idea of small festoon like structure's were there or not. That detached 'tail' was pretty easy, in comparison, and that detached arc over the bright space is there.

I don't think I saw WSZ at all last year. Maybe a slight indent in the NEB showing where it is. To me, this year it's easier. On LRS-1 not being seen, you know it just seems to be that way. Sometimes you can see features, other times they escape us. And other times we interpret them differently than imaged. It's all part of the mystery and challenge.

One example is that white oval shown just below the GRS. In images it's really preceding the GRS a bit. So, I placed it wrong. Maybe the curvature of the disc had something to do with it's visual misplacement - a perspective thing. It's almost certain it's difficulty played a role.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
Re: Jupiter 1 Jan 1630UT [Re: Asbytec]
      #6288506 - 01/02/14 09:12 PM

Norme,

Good sketch of the Jan. 1st Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 204

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics