Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
mike73

Reged: 05/01/12

Loc: UK Plymouth
Possible problem with my new WO BV's..? new
      #6289610 - 01/03/14 12:50 PM

I've just taken delivery of a new pair of WO binoviewers and this is my first taste of using two eyes instead of one and I've been pretty excited about getting them.
As usual any new astro related gear is greeted with complete cloud cover so I've just been playing about with the BV's and noticed something a little odd.

If I look through them at my computer screen with a blank white page it kinda looks ok until I close one eye at a time, the right side looks bright white which is what to be expected but looking through the left side its quite a bit dimmer than the right and also shows a very slight magenta cast!?
I swapped the supplied EP's over and still the same. My right eye is my strongest so I tried using that eye on the left side of the BV's and I still got the same dim magenta view.
Surely you should get the same view from each EP? Whys one side brighter than the other?

I also see a double view, like seeing both field stops.

Have I got a faulty set of binoviewers or do you think I should stop looking through them at a blank computer screen and shut up??

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoes

Reged: 02/02/12

Loc: Boston MA
Re: Possible problem with my new WO BV's..? new [Re: mike73]
      #6289653 - 01/03/14 01:11 PM

I'm a total newbie with binoviewers - but I had a very similar thing happen when I tried out my first pair a few weeks ago. I had thought I had the distance between the eyepieces set correctly - but had not - fiddling with the eyepiece separation solved the problem for me.

Tak North
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/28/07

Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Possible problem with my new WO BV's..? new [Re: hoes]
      #6289859 - 01/03/14 03:01 PM

Yes, my binos do this as well. The BV Prisms actually polarize the light, and since they are at different angles to each other the light from any polarized light source such as your computer monitor will change quite noticeably in each side. You should notice less of an effect by looking at a non-polarized source such as a blank, white wall.

As for the alignment issue, you simply have to put it on a telescope to see the correct image. What you're looking at now doesn't really tell you anything.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Possible problem with my new WO BV's..? new [Re: mike73]
      #6289959 - 01/03/14 03:48 PM

There is often some imbalance in the beam splitter on the less expensive units.

The total light reaching your eyes is the same though and you still get the benefits of binocular vision.

IDP and rotation will fix the other issues.

Premium BVs usually have well balanced brightness.

Make sure your eyepieces are not tilted in the holders. I hold the tops down when tightening the holders.

mike73

Reged: 05/01/12

Loc: UK Plymouth
Re: Possible problem with my new WO BV's..? [Re: Tak North]
      #6289960 - 01/03/14 03:49 PM

Derek
Ahh thats great news, I was hoping there was going to be a simple explanation.

Thanks again
Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 315

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics