Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Ebbisham

Reged: 10/02/10

Loc: Surrey, Uk
outfocus requirements Brandon 12 vs TV Plossl 15 new
      #6290595 - 01/03/14 10:12 PM

I am thinking of ordering a pair of 12mm eps to ad them to my existing TV plossl 15,20 and 25mm pairs.
Quite curious to try a pair of Brandons after all i read here.
Now i noticed that i usually have to move the focuser out when swapping orthos for TV plossl.
With the TV 15 plossl and a GPC 1.7 in my Maxbright Bino i am left with 20mm i can move the focuser further in. This should be enough for the Brandons?
Unfortnately i dont know anyone with Brandons to test for myself.

Eddgie also mentioned when he moved from a Maxbright to a Mark V he needed additional infocus. Was this more than the 2mm the light paths from the 2 binos would suggest?

Edited by Ebbisham (01/03/14 10:13 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: outfocus requirements Brandon 12 vs TV Plossl 15 new [Re: Ebbisham]
      #6290709 - 01/03/14 11:00 PM

The light path in the Maxbright is only 110mm, but the light path in the Mark V is 123mm.

The Mark V takes about 13mm more in travel than the Maxbright.

The 123mm figure I think includes the Baader Quick Connect Ring that is required for the Mark V.

The Maxbright does not require this part. It screws directly to the T2 threads on the T2 diagonals. The Maxbright can be fitted with this, and if so, it adds about 10mm to the light path.

As for the eyepieces, it is not common for the field stops to vary by much more than 10mm, though some eyepeices with Smyth lenses can have much different focus travel than standard eyepeices.

Edited by Eddgie (01/03/14 11:02 PM)

Ebbisham

Reged: 10/02/10

Loc: Surrey, Uk
Re: outfocus requirements Brandon 12 vs TV Plossl 15 new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6290829 - 01/04/14 12:00 AM

Thanls Eddgie, i already use the quickchanger with my Maxbright so i should be ok if i want to move to a Mark V and get myself a pair of 12mm Brandons.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: outfocus requirements Brandon 12 vs TV Plossl 15 [Re: Ebbisham]
      #6293424 - 01/05/14 09:30 AM

Well, you should be able to tell just using the field stop.

Measure the difference in the field stop positions with respect to the eyepeice shoulder. The difference in dispalcement from the shoulder will tell you the difference of in or out travel that will be required.

If the Plossl is 5mm below the shoulder and the Brandon is 3mm above, you need 8mm difference.

Aprox anyway. Not all eyepeices come to exact focus at the field stop, but if the field stop in both is very sharp, then this should work.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 190

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics