Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Binoview Vs CCD in Solar White Light new
      #6296153 - 01/06/14 02:43 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Ok, here is man vs CCD.

Why post here? Because before binoviewing, I could never see this kind of detail on the sun.

The sketch shown here is opposite Toms beautiful picture that he posted today, and when I saw it, I was thrilled to see that he confirmed most of the details I was seeing.

I am a very poor artist, but I have been getting better detail in binoviewers than I am seeing in most CCD images, but it does not come all at once.

If you read my Solar White Light post though, and you are using a 4" to 5" APO or ED scope and a good solar filter, you should be able to easily see as much detail as shown in the CCD image here as evidenced by my drawing, which again, does not really full convey the level of detail I was getting visually.

If you have not binoviewed the sun with 4 to 5 inch ED or APO, you are missing a great show!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Binoview Vs CCD in Solar White Light new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6296171 - 01/06/14 02:52 PM

The CCD will probably only be as good as the eye and the reason I say that is the sun is very active. Its hard to image longer than 30 seconds before the sun moves enough to start blurring the stacked images.

I will say that I can see more contrast than a camera and my Lunt, but my camera captures lots of detail that I might miss.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Binoview Vs CCD in Solar White Light new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #6296518 - 01/06/14 05:42 PM

I'm not sure about the basic premise of the post - I've gotten some mighty fine white-light solar images on days of good seeing with my DSLR on an ES127ED or A-P 6" F/12.

However, I agree that white-light solar with bino-viewer and my ES127ED provide some excellent views. This combo has proven quite popular when I've set it up the past 3 years at Stellafane, Cherry Springs, and Black Forest star parties. I've had long lines for most of the sunny days..... leading to sunburn..... but that's another story!

R Botero
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Kent, England
Re: Binoview Vs CCD in Solar White Light new [Re: George N]
      #6297567 - 01/07/14 08:42 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Observing the sun with binoviewers in either white light or hydrogen-alpha is a joy. Traditional CCDs are not best suited for imaging the sun, moon or the planets. Video cameras (either CCD or CMOS based) are best suited to capture moments of good seeing as their frame rate is much higher than CCDs for deep-sky objects.
Attached is a picture I took in May last year of AR11734. Seeing that morning was very good but the detail in the final processed image is better than what I could see...BUT my image does not capture the sun moving and the spots changing shape as I observed them - that's the beauty of binoviewing!

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Binoview Vs CCD in Solar White Light new [Re: R Botero]
      #6297652 - 01/07/14 09:37 AM

Yes, this is excellent. Better than I can do with binoviewers... A really beautiful picture.

But still, I am amazed at how much detail is available visually.

In one good day, I see more detail than I did the previous 10 years combined before I started to use the Binoviewers and the Baader Film.

And of course the goal of my post is to try to encourage people that have not done the sun with their binoviewers to get some Baader film and give it a shot.

I spend more hours doing white light solar today than I spend outside at night!

And the sun is putting on a great show!

Edited by Eddgie (01/07/14 09:39 AM)

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Binoview Vs CCD in Solar White Light [Re: Eddgie]
      #6297990 - 01/07/14 12:45 PM

I do a lot of visual observing with binoviewers, monocular vision, and imaging both for the sake of capturing images and camera-assisted observing. For me, binoviewing is by far the most comfortable way to observe visually, but you really can't quantitatively compare visual and imaging from one example as there are just so many factors that influence the two. I generally get much better results with a camera unless the seeing is really bad, in which case you just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 395

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics