Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
ROBERT FREE
sage

Reged: 03/20/11

Loc: SARASOTA,FL
VENUS JAN 6TH AND 2014 AND DRAWING new
      #6293694 - 01/05/14 11:41 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

jan 6th 10am est venus at RA 19h 42 m DEC 17.22 about 9deg east of the sun and looking impressive only 00.13 disk exposed, so almost as skinny as it can get showing a sliver of the planet at 200x(10.5 mm pentax)slight cloudiness which btw steadies the image an that's how I like to see the inner planets with a very slight haze.Im using a filter 47 violet which is even better.BTW the sun has a giant sunspot almost in center, one of the largest ive seen in many years.ill continue to update venus, and mercury also in a few weeks.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/06/14 01:56 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David A Rodger
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/12/03

Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Re: VENUS JAN 5TH AND 2014 OBSERVATIONS new [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #6293875 - 01/05/14 01:01 PM

Robert, are you sure you were looking at Venus in the MORNING sky? Last time I looked it was still in the evening sky, although it will pass through inferior conjunction and into the morning sky later this month. Is it possible you were looking at Jupiter setting in the northwest in the pre-dawn sky. Or maybe you meant to say "evening?" Just wondering.

DAR

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: VENUS JAN 5TH AND 2014 OBSERVATIONS new [Re: David A Rodger]
      #6293895 - 01/05/14 01:12 PM

DAR not at all,i view both mercury and venus in broad daylite and its always better higher up in sky and overhead with much better contrast than on horizon.im looking at it right now. You need an equatorial mount and an offset from the sun an most of time can pk it up in 8x50mm finder. Right now though it can only be seen in main scope. setting circles are a must an very little sweeping will do the trick although there is some glare.i have seen venus to within 3deg of the sun but never close than that!http://astropixels.com/ephemeris/ephemeris.html

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/05/14 01:19 PM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: VENUS JAN 5TH AND 2014 OBSERVATION new [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #6293925 - 01/05/14 01:26 PM

Basically you need to set up scope to within 1 deg of pole star or centering Polaris and finder an observing planets in daytime is not that hard,cept for mercury an after many attempts one gets use to the faint mercury which is much harder than venus because you cant see it in finder so a wide low power ep is much needed.at its best its a great site in any scope but at least an 8inch for any serious study.

David A Rodger
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/12/03

Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada
      #6293972 - 01/05/14 01:51 PM

I'm impressed, Robert. I ran a simulation on Starry Nights and confirmed your observations. Sorry I doubted you!

DAR

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: VENUS JAN 5TH AND 2014 OBSERVATIONS new [Re: David A Rodger]
      #6294161 - 01/05/14 03:20 PM

It wasn't any doubt on your part at all david, almost anyone would have said same because daylite observing allows more opportunity especially when it comes to the inner planets. I myself many years ago made same doubts. we are never too old to learn something new,So clear skies david and it was nice talking with you.bobby

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/05/14 03:23 PM)

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
      #6296483 - 01/06/14 05:24 PM

Robert,

Great sketch of the sliver crescent Venus. You really have your technique down for daytime viewing.

Dean

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: VENUS JAN 5TH AND 2014 OBSERVATIONS new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6297405 - 01/07/14 03:23 AM

Yes, A very impressive observation and well executed. One should be very careful trying to duplicate Robert's observation, though. Using a scope that close to the Sun is tricky and can be dangerous.

Robert, what did you use to see the sunspot group on the Sun? I have seen it naked eye with Venus transit glasses.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: VENUS JAN 5TH AND 2014 OBSERVATIONS new [Re: Special Ed]
      #6297771 - 01/07/14 10:39 AM

hi special Ed, if you look at my picture you will see I use an 8" celestron and an off axis filter I made myself using a small 3" diameter off axis mylar type bought off ebay.( let me know if you need any instructions on making one,real ez)also I made one for my 8x50mm finder which is a must as well) That way i use it to set on the sun an offset to venus and or mercury when feasible. its now jan 7th at 10.am in florida and 46 deg a huge 30 deg drop so not use to this cold lol, but gonna see if I can pk venus up now about.8 deg east of sun an showing a mere 00.10 percent of the planet wow.Also, ED is right about being very careful getting too close to the sun an I recommend using an equatorial mount when this close as eye damage can occur sweeping with any other type of mount or DOB. however if one takes his time an uses caution then its fine. btw thanks DEAN well appreciate your comment.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/07/14 11:20 AM)

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: VENUS JAN 6TH AND 2014 AND DRAWING new [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #6297794 - 01/07/14 10:49 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

I was viewing Venus through my 80mm Sears Discovery Refractor Monday afternoon as well. I placed the Sun behind the roof of my house such that it would impossible to point the scope at the Sun or have the sun drift from behind the roof. After ~ 10 minutes of searching I saw the crescent Venus in my 6X30 finder. I centered Venus in the scope and using a diagonal & 9mm Ortho eyepiece (133X) enjoyed a fine view of Venus. IT shows a bright white, slender, crescent with the apex of the crescent a slight gray color that gradually faded out of view. Here is my sketch of the view:

I will be imaging Venus with my C11 next Saturday as it passes inferior junction if the weather permits.

Edited by Edward E (01/07/14 10:53 AM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: VENUS JAN 6TH AND 2014 AND DRAWING new [Re: Edward E]
      #6297838 - 01/07/14 11:17 AM

yup ed that's what it looks like very nice! right now at 11.05 est time and 46 deg here im viewing venus about 8.4 deg e of the sun and its now a skinny 00.10 percent amazing but a little glare is moving in and im using a 32 mm 2" ep with a #21 orange filter an it looks fabulous,however there is some turbulence and the viewing is not great but ok in my televue zoom at about 140x or so.lower power ep's seem the choice today an like I say its usually better with a slight haze but not today. mag is 4.3. also adding that the sunspot activity has been unreal these past weeks,another big one dead center.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/07/14 11:42 AM)

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6297912 - 01/07/14 11:55 AM

I'm envious Robert; I wish I was out viewing Venus instead of in the work office. Then again, I like to eat and I like being warm so it's to work I go.
How long do you suppose that you can keep viewing Venus safely before infer junct? I found that once Venus is within 6 degrees of the Sun I only use the C11 GPS scope to locate it using the Sun as a alignment target.

Thanks for the heads up on the sunspot group. Sounds like a monster, maybe I will have a look this upcoming Saturday.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: VENUS JAN 6TH AND 2014 AND DRAWING new [Re: Edward E]
      #6298114 - 01/07/14 01:38 PM

Well, ive been doing daytime observing for many years an I retired at about 60 5 years ago, and I really enjoy daytime viewing though,I still do nighttime as well,i don't like the cold and I moved to fla to get better views in the day and keep warm at same time, plus like I said I get to see the planets higher in sky an therefore better contrast. id say about 3 more days of viewing venus an that's about it, maybe 2 but it most likely will be invisible .np with sun as venus dec is still about 5 deg higher but the glare is gonna worsen next few days. mercury will be coming around soon. Those sunspots are really large these days, nice chatting with you ed, we luv astronomy, its in are blood lol.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (01/07/14 01:40 PM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

#6298347 - 01/07/14 03:37 PM

Venus will rapidly swing to the west side of the sun in the morning sky an be visible about jan 16 but only in daylite.It will be about 7-9 degrees away from the sun an will move above the sun about 3-5 degrees in its move to the morning sky and rapidly swing out so by jan 20 or so it will be visible low in the east but hard to spot.

Special Ed
Postmaster

#6298458 - 01/07/14 04:33 PM

Robert,
It sounds like you have a good (and safe) system for your Venus observations.

I have various homemade and store bought solar filters for my scopes and binoculars all made from Baader AstroSolar film. You can see my latest observation of the monster sunspot group using binoculars here.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: VENUS JAN 6TH AND 2014 AND DRAWING new [Re: Special Ed]
      #6298655 - 01/07/14 06:36 PM

Yes ed, I too use the baader solar filter material, an your sketch of the sun and sunspot group is very impressive. That's exactly what I saw jan 5th 6th an today while aligning on sun.GREAT JOB SE.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: VENUS JAN 6TH AND 2014 AND DRAWING [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #6303938 - 01/10/14 10:51 AM

Thanks, Robert. Hope you keep posting your views of the inner planets (and the Sun).

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 537

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics