Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
maugi88
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/25/13

Loc: SE MN
lx 850 new
      #6301017 - 01/08/14 10:22 PM

Just had a great night out with the 850. I spent pretty much all my time on Jupiter and it was really cold (-8F).

I Could see the South and North Equatorial belts, of course, but also the South and North temporal belts. The Galilean moons but also one of the smaller moons. It was inside the orbit of Io but slightly off the orbital plane of the other moons. To close to Jupiter to be a background star as it would have been lost in the light of Jupiter.
90x mag was what worked best. I tried going to 174 but could not get focus. Went to M42 with filters and without and it was also great at 90 power.

Even in the cold the scopes High precision pointing worked really well.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: lx 850 new [Re: maugi88]
      #6301046 - 01/08/14 10:44 PM

Great that you can finally get out! I am having a blast with mine too.

I am a wimp now though when it comes to observing this time of year. I am doing it all remotely via wifi and observing from the comforts of inside. -8F is definitely beyond my limit now a days.

Is there an Astro-Polar Bear patch for being a successful cold weather observer?

maugi88
Pooh-Bah

Re: lx 850 new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #6301055 - 01/08/14 10:49 PM

Quote:

Great that you can finally get out! I am having a blast with mine too.

I am a wimp now though when it comes to observing this time of year. I am doing it all remotely via wifi and observing from the comforts of inside. -8F is definitely beyond my limit now a days.

Is there an Astro-Polar Bear patch for being a successful cold weather observer?

Stuborness

maugi88
Pooh-Bah

#6301064 - 01/08/14 10:52 PM

I wanted to ask you which mallincam model do you use?
Thinking about getting one so I can get started on AP without spending another 8k

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

#6301085 - 01/08/14 11:11 PM

Quote:

I wanted to ask you which mallincam model do you use?
Thinking about getting one so I can get started on AP without spending another 8k

Maugi,

I am using the MallinCam X2. I love it!

Is it for high definition refined AP? No. But it is great for seeing details and color in faint fuzzies in a fairly short period of time (usual 3 - 60 seconds), a great alternative to the eyepiece, great for remote viewing while in doors, and of course fun with public outreach.

I also use it for secondary viewing when either the 80mm or the 14" is being used for AP.

I have also found it is good for gauging how long my exposures will need to be for the Canon 60Da. I finally imaged the Horsehead Nebula (first time ever). When I used the Mallincam it took 60 seconds to get something good. Hence I could gauge on the Canon I wanted at least 5 to 10 minutes. Next time in a darker site I will go for 20 minutes.

Either way, I have found the MallinCam to be a great purchase!

WardyNew

Reged: 09/17/13

Loc: UK
      #6302089 - 01/09/14 01:20 PM

Andrew

You mentioned that you are observing remotely using wifi. Is that using the MallinCam...do you need to buy anything as an add on to observe remotely (similar to SkyFi to remotely control the LX850) or does the MallinCam have the ability to stream wirelessly built in?

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Re: lx 850 new [Re: WardyNew]
      #6302157 - 01/09/14 01:53 PM

Quote:

Andrew

You mentioned that you are observing remotely using wifi. Is that using the MallinCam...do you need to buy anything as an add on to observe remotely (similar to SkyFi to remotely control the LX850) or does the MallinCam have the ability to stream wirelessly built in?

Hello Paul,

First off, I need to put this in my blog how I do my remote control, but here is the basics in a nutshell:

* I have the SkiFi hooked up to the RS-232 port in the LX850. Remote control is done via SkySafari on the iPad and Macintosh Pro or MacBook Pro.
* The cables for the MallinCam and the Canon 60Da are integrated/fed through the mount. I have some cable holders and ties and such to keep things organized.
* A MacBook Pro is on a table next to the LX850. The Mallicam cables from the LX850 are hooked up as follows: Serial cable to KeySpan Adapter to USB port; Video cable to a Canopus ADVC110 to Firewire/IEEE1394 connector to the Firewire Port. The Canon 60Da connects directly to the MacBook Pro USB port.
* Like most homes, my property is covered with a wifi signal (about 1 acre). The MacBook Pro is on the home network and is actually setup to be accessible from anywhere in the world (I have security covered). On cold days, or photo sessions when I have other things to do, I then share the MacBook Pro desktop to the Mac Pro in the home (this is part of MacOS). I can then remotely run the MallinCam control software and the Canon EOS Utility since I am controlling and seeing the MacBook Pro desk top inside - and hence I can see what is coming in from the MallinCam and Canon.
* As a bonus, the screens can be shared on your TV via the AppleTV.

The MallinCam does not have the ability to stream wirelessly itself. It does have a wireless control option though.

Sometimes, if not busy I do share my screen on join.me to everyone who wants in on the fun, however I am on travel for the next three weeks. Next sharing sessions will be in February. I do have an account on the NightSkies Network, however I cannot seem to get things working with flash and I don't have time to play with it. My guess is the network is not Mac friendly, but I could be wrong.

When I get back I will post some pictures of the setup on my blog along with a diagram, required software and required parts. It really is straight forward. When I did my very first images of the Horsehead Nebula I was running the show from inside my home. It was not as cold as Maugi's location, but 26 degrees F is not fun when working a telescope for a few hours. I did it in the past - I am trying to avoid doing that though.

Until I send the full update, folks are free to ask questions!

WardyNew

#6302310 - 01/09/14 03:32 PM

Cheers Andrew, like the idea of that...especially when it's at freezing point outside...

maugi88
Pooh-Bah

#6303035 - 01/09/14 09:20 PM

Andrew,

what about android devices. I don't have anything apple. Still work?

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

#6303344 - 01/10/14 01:06 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

Quote:

Andrew,

what about android devices. I don't have anything apple. Still work?

Maugi,

You would have to take a very different approach.

Regarding SkyFi-SkySafari, you would use the Android version of the SW for telescope control. SkySafari will not be made available for Windows according to the developers.

I am not a Windows expert, but you can use the MallinCam software for the PC and Canon has the EOS Utility for Windows. Windows 8 should have the same screen sharing capabilities between PCs as the Macintosh but I am not clear if this built in or you have to purchase an add-on. Either way, you do lose the slick integration you get on the Apple side with iOS, MacOS, and the AppleTV. Then for control you would use your Android device and separate PC for imaging. OR, you could use some of the PC control software and forgo the Android option. Yes, there are the high end windows 8 tablets, but at that price get a good laptop.

I have attached here a screen shot showing how it looks from the Apple side. Here I am running MallinCam control, the EOS utility to control the Canon 60Da, and SkySafari - all controlled wirelessly, all at the same time, and viewed remotely from the Macintosh inside where it is nice and toasty. Also, I can share this screen via join.me to everyone I invite. In this example, the MallinCam is actually on the 14" ACF and the Canon 60Da is on the 80mm, both imaging simultaneously. The advantage of using both cameras at the same time? I get a "live" view (or nearly live) in the Mallicam so I can insure I am looking at the correct target and everything is centered for proper framing. If I am imaging with the 14", I then move the MallinCam to the 80mm. It is really a great combo. Also, if I have guests and they don't have the patience for a 10 - 20 min exposure, they can see the fun, live view from the MallinCam. Plus, it is simply fun to play with all this stuff!

FYI, I do put a blanket (aka "Blanky") over the laptop - with the power brick, and CPU and GPU running it seems to keep the laptop at a cozy operating temperature! Once I had the laptop out when the temps were close to 0 deg F and there was no "blanky" on it. The laptop battery did not seem to like this - the laptop worked, but I was getting weird messages regarding battery charging problems.

Now, once it is warm enough outside, I do sit at the computer outside, but I will do the remote setup when doing an imaging run. This way I can monitor things from TVs in the home, my iPad, and my MacPro.

As we all know, purchasing the LX850 is only the first stepů

maugi88
Pooh-Bah

#6303579 - 01/10/14 06:43 AM

Maybe ill get an apple. Window 8 blows anyway

Markigno
sage

Reged: 01/09/10

#6303745 - 01/10/14 09:18 AM

Hi, for remote connection, there is a different solution that uses a tablet and a Windows PC. Using an application called splashtop2, you can control your PC connected to the telescope (near the telescope) with a tablet or another PC in house, to hot. This application allows a wifi connection either direct or via the web (in this case it is possible to control the telescope from anywhere in the world). I use a laptop with Windows XP and an IPAD, through this I control all the programs on laptop connected to telescope and therefore also all accessories attached to the telescope (LX200R 12", de-rotator, AO-7, CCD etc. All in remote through WiFi).
Marco

Edited by Markigno (01/10/14 09:20 AM)

WardyNew

Re: lx 850 [Re: Markigno]
      #6304252 - 01/10/14 01:41 PM

I'm surprised in a way that nobody has produced something that does Skysafari in reverse and streams video / images directly from a camera / eyepiece straight to a tablet or PC without a tablet/PC outside to connect to the camera...or am I wrong and someone has?

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

#6304772 - 01/10/14 06:42 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised in a way that nobody has produced something that does Skysafari in reverse and streams video / images directly from a camera / eyepiece straight to a tablet or PC without a tablet/PC outside to connect to the camera...or am I wrong and someone has?

Streaming the video itself can be very easy - just hook the cable up from the MallinCam right to a TV monitor. You can then just use the MallinCam Wireless controls. Not as fancy as MallinCam Control and you will lose many features but it will work in a pinch.

And you can run a longish cable from the telescope outside right to your home inside. Hence you are using only one computer.

On the flip side, I really like having the computer right by the telescope and then connect to that wirelessly from ANYWHERE. Then I can use another laptop in the home, any computer in my home, my TV, my iPad and iPhone with no restrictions due to cable length. And if I get fancier, I can control it from anywhere in the world like I will be doing with my satellites.

The wonders of modern technology!

Markigno
sage

Reged: 01/09/10

#6304910 - 01/10/14 08:02 PM

Quote:

Streaming the video itself can be very easy

Indeed, Splashtop2 uses streaming video technology, and with this app you can control all equipment

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 556

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics