Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: My Binotron-27 so far new [Re: DA53]
      #6313049 - 01/14/14 07:49 PM

You can tighten up the alt clutch nut. A tiny amount of movement is all that is usually needed to firm up any slippage. Something on the order of 1/8" movement (Not 1/8 of a full turn) of the nut.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: My Binotron-27 so far new [Re: Adam S]
      #6313075 - 01/14/14 07:58 PM

Quote:

Nick, the first time I used a binoviewer a decision was made to never go back to monoviewing. I couldn't believe the improved experience on planets, the Sun and the Moon in my refractors. Within a month or so I began to go back and forth between mono and bino on DSOs and with many of them the light loss was very notable in four and five inch refractors (Tak FS 102 and AP 130). Most significant losses are on GCs.

If I had 12" or more in aperture I'd likely binoviewer full time. I love refractors for many reasons and find myself using a Denk II for the solar system and going mono outside of it.

The wow factor is real, light loss is as well. Aperture trumps a lot of the light loss. If I ever get an 18" dob the Denk will live in the focuser.

For the really dim objects monoviewing is required. Also large and multiple objects often require a wider true field of view (40mm 70 AFOV, 30mm 82 AFOV, 20mm 100 AFOV).

Before 100 AFOV, I used my binoviewers almost all the time. Since 100 AFOV, I prefer 100 AFOV mono viewing (I briefly has two 10mm ethos for binoviewing, but returned one due to multiple ray issues on bright jupiter in LL 1x power mode). My primary scope is a 17.5" f4.1 dob.

DA53

Reged: 11/23/12

Loc: Shoreview, MN
      #6334652 - 01/25/14 11:55 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

The Baader T2-1C prism diagonal with (most of) necessary T2 connectors arrived yesterday, and the Binotron to T2 adapter arrived from Russ today. I have used a High Point 2" SCT adapter to attach the whole Binotron-diagonal setup to my 8SE.

Edited by DA53 (01/25/14 12:03 PM)

crow
sage

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: BC, Canada
      #6334687 - 01/25/14 12:12 PM

It looks like you've still got the nosepiece on the Binotron?

DA53

Re: My Binotron-27 so far new [Re: crow]
      #6334693 - 01/25/14 12:16 PM

No, I took it off. The new adaptor threads in where the nosepiece was.

crow
sage

#6334719 - 01/25/14 12:29 PM

Cool. Looks like a chunkier adapter than I imagined though. I'm guessing it goes into the baader quick changer?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#6334769 - 01/25/14 12:50 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

If you are running on the 8SE, then you don't need to be able to rotate the diagonal.

Of course this lets you change back and forth between a 2" diagonal and the binoviewer easily, but here is a configuration that will reduce your focal lenght by 90mm and give you clearance at the base when viewing at zenith..

It is the baader 10mm T2 to SCT..

Edited by Eddgie (01/25/14 12:50 PM)

DA53

Re: My Binotron-27 so far new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6334783 - 01/25/14 12:56 PM

Yes, it goes into the Baader Quickchanger. The chunkiness that you see is probably that. The T2 adaptor is rather small, and it doesn't thread into the Quickchanger at all--it just slides in, and you tighten the Quickchanger with a thumbscrew.

Ed, in an oversight, I didn't order one of the Baader T2 to SCT adaptors. I'll do that in the future, after my pocketbook recuperates.

Edited by DA53 (01/25/14 12:59 PM)

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #6335206 - 01/25/14 04:25 PM

Quote:

There is no going back for me from binoviewing to monoviewing, at least for the moon, planets and brighter DSOs. And for many where viewing is better than it is here, the Binotron is a superior unit to the WO one. But I still have to see the difference for myself.

I'd bet that you would see a difference for solar/lunar/planets only under the best of seeing.

I also think the more expensive units help when hunting down the very dimmest of deep sky objects because their superior coatings and polish pass more light. That's important to me because much of my observing involves pushing my 20-inch 'as deep as possible' on galaxy groups and other 14th mag dim stuff while observing under very dark skies.

As for bino vs mono: I'm doing about 50/50. I prefer the bino, both for the wonderful views, and because it is less tiring using 2 eyes when observing all night, for several nights in a row. However, I'm more likely to go mono with my smaller scopes, and when needing to get going quickly in the evening. The bino can sometimes involve too much fiddling around putting together when it suddenly clears up at 1 AM at a remote dark sky site, or cold weather requires gloves.

Another time I go mono: If I'm observing with a few friends who just can't get the bino to merge, or if I'm likely to face long lines of visitors at star parties or outreach. I have used the bino with small groups of 'public' (6 or less people at a time) with little problem - although it does take some extra explaining beyond 'look in there'. However even Russ has told me that he goes mono for public outreach events.

DA53

Re: My Binotron-27 so far new [Re: George N]
      #6335520 - 01/25/14 07:33 PM

In fact, George, I HAVE seen a big difference with the WO binoviewers already, and the difference was noticeable almost every time I looked through them at the moon, sun, or planets. A recent view of the Orion Nebula also produced a stunning 3-dimensional spacewalk affect. For these reasons, I was willing to go spend a great deal of money on the Binotron. The improvement is there over mono viewing, there is no question.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #6337027 - 01/26/14 04:25 PM

Quote:

The Baader T2-1C prism diagonal with (most of) necessary T2 connectors arrived yesterday, and the Binotron to T2 adapter arrived from Russ today. I have used a High Point 2" SCT adapter to attach the whole Binotron-diagonal setup to my 8SE.

Something still looks wrong here, the B27 should attach directly to the prism diagonal housing with the adapter or the adapter/Quickchanger, as in Eddgie's photo, it should be low profile. It almost looks like the nosepiece is on top, or there is an extra part attached? And maybe its the angle but it doesn't look like the diagonal is centered in the visual back. Maybe I just need some coffee!

DA53

Re: My Binotron-27 so far new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6337223 - 01/26/14 05:52 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Here is the Binotron assembly in question: the Binotron, the Binotron-T2 adapter (which I am holding), the T2 Quickchanger, and the T2-1C prism diagonal.

Edited by DA53 (01/26/14 05:52 PM)

crow
sage

#6337362 - 01/26/14 06:43 PM

Looks like the powerswitch is what looks like a nosepiece, looks weird in the side on shot, doesn't look like you have a PS on there.

The above looks good. I have the adapter on the way, so thanks.

DA53

#6337367 - 01/26/14 06:46 PM

No, you remove the 2" nosepiece to attach the adapter.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#6339010 - 01/27/14 03:24 PM

To be fair, the 10mm Connector is really at its best on a fork mounted scope.

The 15mm connector allows you to rotate the diagonal like you do with a standard SCT diagonal, using a compression collar.

But on a GEM, this is all kind of clunky. For that, a standard or short visual back is probably preferable, and you look like that is where you are.

So, may not be worth it to you to shorten up from where you are. Very incremental gain from now on. The big gain is going to direct attachment to a 1.25" Prism from a 2" diagonal. That is the power-play. Cutting another 10mm won't make much differene.

Sure, I did it, but if you did everything I did, whoever you report to (wife, girl friend, CEO, whatever) would perpetually frown at you.

I am remarkably resistant to the prolonged frown behaviors so for me, it is OK to buy what I like...

Edited by Eddgie (01/27/14 03:40 PM)

DA53

Re: My Binotron-27 so far new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6339595 - 01/27/14 08:36 PM

Thanks, Ed. And, congratulations again!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #6339866 - 01/27/14 10:36 PM

Quote:

Looks like the powerswitch is what looks like a nosepiece, looks weird in the side on shot, doesn't look like you have a PS on there.

The above looks good. I have the adapter on the way, so thanks.

Yeh sorry Dave, Crow called it, it is the PowerSwitch! Couldn't see the arms from that angle, it looked funny.

DA53

Re: My Binotron-27 so far new [Re: johnnyha]
      #6341236 - 01/28/14 03:00 PM

I checked out the configuration with Russ, and he said it was right. He did comment, however, that the biopters on the Binotron are set higher and lower, and that I should read carefully how these should be positioned.

I just wish this weather would warm up and clear up the sky, and that I had Russ' great collimating skills!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1863

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics