Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
R Botero
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Kent, England
Re: Baader Wedge questions new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6290038 - 01/03/14 04:33 PM

Looking forward to that comparison Eddgie. If your findings with the ND^2 setup are good you will convince me to look for one. For the time being I'm sticking with my SC and a green Sun!
Roberto

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Baader Wedge questions new [Re: R Botero]
      #6290141 - 01/03/14 05:31 PM

Well, I was not loving the SC initially, but I was fussing with things a lot, going back and forth between the Much to bright ND alone, and adding the SC.

I should have just been patient.

I would have wanted to do the comparison anyway, but the ND +SC really does do a fantastic job on granulation (which is what the Owner's Manual said it would do) and today, it really did turn in an excellent performance.

So, now I have my doubts that the ND will be better, and the more I used the SC today, the more I was liking it.

In a week (weather permitting) I should have more to report.

I love the wedge though. It is a beautiful piece of gear.

Kunama
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/22/12

Re: Baader Wedge questions new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6290770 - 01/03/14 11:34 PM

The funny thing with the Solar Continuum filter is that after a while looking through it you don't really focus on the lime green colour at all just all the detail it reveals. I have now stopped messing about changing the filters and am using the SC+3.0 combination. I am now going to get a Baader Hyperion 31Aspherical eyepiece and the threaded adapter to connect my Nikon to it for some images.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Baader Wedge questions new [Re: Kunama]
      #6291337 - 01/04/14 09:28 AM

Yes, the more I used it, the more OK I got with the color, and at low power, I rather like it.

But at higher power, it still bothers me a bit.

Looking forward to comparing the views between the two configurations.

zeehas

Reged: 08/06/11

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Baader Wedge questions [Re: Eddgie]
      #6305369 - 01/11/14 01:36 AM

My setup is a 4" f/15 achromat with a Lunt Hershel wedge in mono-vision mode. I've had good results with using a Baader "contrast filter" (the one said to improve contrast on planets). It gives the sun a pleasing light yellow tint while eliminating the secondary color of the refractor. I also use a single polarizing filter. I find that being able to adjust the intensity greatly improves the detail seen. I'm looking forward to trying my binoviewer with this setup once I get the right adapter. My Maxbright binoviewer has the 2" nose while the Lunt wedge is 1.25".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 996

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics