Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus
      #6305827 - 01/11/14 10:12 AM

What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus

By Steve Coe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
scopefreak
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/14/04

Loc: Mayslick KY
Re: What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #6306892 - 01/11/14 07:21 PM

Very nice write up, Steve. Very nice description and colorful use of words. Makes me wish it were clear and that this pair were visible. Brought back a ton of pleasant memories from way back when I first started observing. One of the first pictures I ever took of the night sky was of the Double Cluster. As a matter of fact, I have that picture as the wallpaper for my observatory computer and my studio recording PC.

Really enjoyed the read. Thanks for the memories!!

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus new [Re: scopefreak]
      #6311689 - 01/14/14 06:31 AM

Kevin;

Very glad to hear from you. Yes, there are always lots of great places around the sky that bring back memories of telescopes, observing buddies and sites.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

HarryRik9

Reged: 10/02/13

Loc: Virginia
Re: What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6314232 - 01/15/14 12:02 PM

Steve, Some comments. First I find it difficult to identify what you are calling Stock 2 in the photos. The photos have different orientations and different scales. With the software these days it would be easy to add some kind of locating aid to the photos.

Second I see a number of dust lanes in the Chris Schur photo. It is a surprise to me that few expert astronomers comment on them. I think this would be a better challenge to the observer than counting stars. In my experience the dust lanes that we see in deep sky photos reveal important aspects of the interstellar medium but few astronomers pay much attention to them. My point here is to ask if you can see them visually. I find that it is difficult to do. Have you or anyone else tried this?

For those of you interested in this you can read my paper here:http://www.gsjournal.net/Science-Journals/Research%20Papers-Relativity%20Theory/Download/881

OrlandoMatt
sage

Reged: 11/22/13

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus new [Re: HarryRik9]
      #6316134 - 01/16/14 10:15 AM

I saw the Double Cluster the other night under a near full moon and it was really interesting and I got to spend a good deal of time studying it and making some notes. Thanks for the article(both of you) making for some great morning coffee in the office distraction!

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus new [Re: OrlandoMatt]
      #6316774 - 01/16/14 03:23 PM

Matt;

Thanks for the kind words, I hope you have a chance to get out when the Moon is out of the sky and see some more of the Double Cluster.

Harry, Stock 2 is most obvious in my shot with the nebulae on the left edge. Stock 2 is at about 11 o'clock from the Double Cluster and it is about the same size as the two cluster together. I hope that helps.

Interesting that you should mention dark nebulae. I am just starting a project to image a variety of the Barnard objects around the Milky Way. Like you, I find them fascinating for their look in the scope and the physics of what is going on in that field of view.

I will take a look at how to label the images, it will probably be easier than I think.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

DocFinance
sage

Reged: 01/14/14

Loc: Clear Lake, Texas
Re: What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6321017 - 01/18/14 06:07 PM

Very nice. I started out with 7x35 binoculars in very dark skies, and the Double Cluster has always been one of my favorites.

combatdad

Reged: 12/28/12

Loc: Culpeper, VA
Re: What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus new [Re: DocFinance]
      #6426786 - 03/24/14 03:29 PM

Very informative write up Steve. The double cluster has always been on my short list of places to visit, especially when I have guests stop by.

Dave

itfrightensme
journeyman

Reged: 11/29/13

Re: What’s Up - Double Cluster in Perseus new [Re: combatdad]
      #6427303 - 03/24/14 08:45 PM

One of my favorite things to view in the entire sky!

I shot this a few months ago of it;

http://i.imgur.com/UwpTXzO.jpg

At65EQ scope and Canon 60D camera on a Orion Sirius mount, with the Orion SSAG guider.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1279

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics