Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1
acr_astro

Reged: 01/16/13

Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area
A trip to the moon new
      #6305567 - 01/11/14 07:33 AM

Hi,

yesterday afternoon, the sun was shining and only some small clouds were in the sky. So I hoped that I could visit the moon in the evening - which came true:

Telescope: Martini 10" Dobson
Eyepieces: 16mm Maxvision 68°, 7mm TS HR-Planetary, 5mm Skywatcher Planetary
Books und Software: Reiseatlas Mond, Der Moonhopper, Carte du Ciel
Place: home terrace, Dusseldorf Region, Germany
Time: 10.01.2014, 1830-2230 CET
--
After the scope had cooled down, I started at half past six when the moon had come far enough to see it from the terrace. A rough overview with the 16mm Maxvision showed the terminator right beside Clavius in the south. But mainly it was the Mare Nubium which I payed attention tonight. I changed to the 5mm Planetary eyepiece.
The dark shadows inside the craters Bullialdus and König (near the terminator) and the almost invisible crater Kies with its smaller Krater Kies A.

A little bit east of Bullialdus I could see a small chain of little craterlets which went from Gould to Gould B. South of it I noticed the Rima Hesiodus which guided me to Hesiodus itself and Pitatus with its rimae.
I went further to the east and reached a very small crater which looked to be somewhat "embossed" - Wolf T. It appeared a bit as if it was a flat plateau rising from the surface. THis was the first time I saw those ghost craters like that.
I left the Mare Nubium and went towards Copernicus which looked really great. In the book "Der Moonhopper" a chain of craterlets near Stadius had been recommended. I could see easily the chain with the craterlets P,R,E,S F and T.
Further north in Mare Imbrium, the bright spot of Mons La Hire appeared out of the dark.
I moved the Dobsonian once again back to Clavius to test the resolution of my scope tonight. The smallest craterlet I could spot was the craterlet Clavius DA (as per sources on the internet having a diameter of about 2.6km). A bit more to the north, the sun rose on the central peak of Longomontanus, located in the SW-area of the black bottom of the crater.

Unfortunately high clouds had appeared so the contrast was quite bad now. But I could see a large halo of about 45° diameter around the moon.
Finally I had a quick glance on Jupiter with the 7mm planetary eyepiece which showed the GRF and all four galileian moons. Time for cleaning up.

Conclusion:
First time in a new area on the moon and high clouds aren't just annoying. The large halo was very impressive. And finally: I need a new note and sketching book - the old one is now full.

Clear skies!

Achim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
thomas68
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/25/11

Loc: North west Indiana
Re: A trip to the moon new [Re: acr_astro]
      #6306036 - 01/11/14 11:45 AM

Thanks for the report, sounds like a great time.

Tom

kcb

Reged: 07/18/13

Loc: georgian bay,canada
Re: A trip to the moon new [Re: acr_astro]
      #6306593 - 01/11/14 04:58 PM

hi,
yes that was a great observation,i was also observing the moon around that time with a skylight 4'' f/15 achromat refractor, nice sharp detail,i purchased a televue delos 10mm and am very impressed for lunar observation,clear skies,k.c

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: A trip to the moon new [Re: kcb]
      #6307923 - 01/12/14 11:20 AM

Nice report

I used to live in Dusseldorf in the 60's lol

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Re: A trip to the moon new [Re: NeilMac]
      #6307950 - 01/12/14 11:36 AM

Thanks for reporting in Achim. I'll have to try a Clavius crater count soon. Last Tuesday I spent a lot of time looking at Theophilus - it has an amazing central peak. I've got a bit of moon fever right now - it comes and goes. I hope in our lifetime we really can take a trip to the moon.

acr_astro

Reged: 01/16/13

Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area
Re: A trip to the moon [Re: NeilMac]
      #6309727 - 01/13/14 08:28 AM

Hi NeilMac,

Thanks!

And don't worry - the moon's appearance from here hasn't changed much since the 60's.

CS!

Achim

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 261

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics