Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
wargrafix
sage

Reged: 04/10/13

Loc: Trinidad
Re: weird issue... new [Re: schluterdude]
      #6332853 - 01/24/14 02:37 PM

Thanks! I will try that tonight!

Normally I will do 2 stars (Sirius + Betelgeuse) then maybe Canopus and castor.

Then I go to ASPA and it slews to castor and i do the alt az changes, then sync...the unsync. Power down, put indexes correct begin the alignment process again. I have not tried the replace since I would have used the last calib star for ASPA.

What did I do wrong?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John608
journeyman

Reged: 03/24/12

Loc: California
Re: weird issue... new [Re: wargrafix]
      #6334032 - 01/25/14 01:46 AM

Tracking is controlled by Polar Alignment accuracy. You could manually slew to any star then center it in the eyepiece and the mount will track it if you have polar aligned properly and you have set tracking properly. An accurate goto alignment is necessary for an accurate ASPA polar alignment. Perfectly accurate? No, the ASGT and the ASGT are not perfectly accurate mechanical devices, and their inaccuracies will be reflected in not quite perfect gotos and polar alignment. But both mounts are capable of more than enough accuracy for visual use and for some astrophotography.

If you're getting objects within the field, not centered but within the field of a 25mm eyepiece, that's pretty good. Sometimes you may get it a little better, but that's good and useable. Center the object with the hand controller, make sure tracking is set up properly and you are good to go. I have had objects remain in the field of view of a medium power eyepiece for hours with an ASPA polar alignment with my ASGT. Just don't expect everything to be perfect, it won't be! But it'll be useable and a heck of a lot better than the old days with just a clock drive on the RA axis and setting circles.

Good Luck!

John G

wargrafix
sage

Re: weird issue... new [Re: John608]
      #6337043 - 01/26/14 04:32 PM

Well I can report a great level of success.
Goto has improved but I am sure I can get it better.
Tracking is significantly better. Stars look a little cometish. De focused a little to a corner of the star. I used the handset to centre the objects but photos show trailing.

schluterdude

Reged: 08/05/13

Loc: Centerville, OH
      #6337111 - 01/26/14 04:57 PM

Visually you should not notice trailing, only in images. If the stars look funny visually, something is goofy in the optic train.

The only way to get super accurate with setup is using an illuminated reticle, or software that will overlay crosshairs for you like backyard EOS.

Or, use a super high power eyepiece with a very narrow field of view...

schluterdude

Reged: 08/05/13

Loc: Centerville, OH
      #6337116 - 01/26/14 05:00 PM

Oops, never mind that first comment on trailing :-P

Have you considered an off axis guider? Cheaper than a tracking scope setup, just means you have to stay at the scope. Use the motor speed function to slow movements down, and use the HC to correct positioning. Same thing though, you'll need the illuminated reticule.

wargrafix
sage

#6338191 - 01/27/14 07:37 AM

Hi all. I considered an off axis guider but right now its a little pricey. Thinking of saving for a illuminated reticule.

I will give a bit more detail on the night's work. I leveled the mount and balanced the scope. Did the alignment and ASPA and shut down. I redid everything and go hings found but that the targets were still on the edge. I tried another round of alignment and got it a bit better.

I used the Eskimo nebula as my drift test and found there was south north drift. I adjusted attitude and 30 second exposures were better. The stars have an offset coma though. Not sure why.

I

wargrafix
sage

#6347075 - 01/31/14 11:58 AM

I am going to the in-laws today. Scope in tow!:-)

wargrafix
sage

#6357097 - 02/05/14 07:36 AM

In spite of the clouds i got one night of good weather. Setup was challenging because of the humidity and cold. I realized that leveling the mount make no difference in ASPA. I setup there and even though it was not balanced in the bubble level, targets showed up in the dead center of my 25mm eyepiece every time!:-)

Photos were good, but a target lower in the south there was field rotation. Any advice?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2399

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics