Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Outreach

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Re: R.I.P. John Dobson new [Re: Noisykids]
      #6317575 - 01/16/14 10:43 PM

I attended one of my club's outreach events tonight. We call it astronomy on wheels and visit local schools and churches. I usually take my grab and go refractor to these events, but not tonight. In honor of John, I had to take my Dob. In fact all but one scope there were Dobs. What a wonderful design it is. What a wonderful gift John gave us.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
Re: R.I.P. John Dobson new [Re: bunyon]
      #6317641 - 01/16/14 11:26 PM

Quote:

As a very young man/boy, I met him at TSP. He stopped, I think because of my age, and we had a very brief conversation about astronomy and the joy of being at a place like TSP. He then asked about my scope. I uncovered my C8 with great pride and he scoffed and said I should build my own. I suppose he might be happy to know I have one of his namesakes in my garage now but I still haven't built my own scope. As I told him, the universe doesn't need the scope my hands would build.

It's always sad to lose anyone, but 98 years and the legacy he leaves is about as good as you can do. I'd feel fortunate to do either.

I thought for a long time before commenting on this. We as amateur astronomers owe a great debt to John Dobson, but that's a sort of rotten thing to say to a kid. When my time comes, I'd feel privileged to think that maybe I helped just one kid cultivate an interest in this wonderful hobby, much less give a gift like John Dobson did. This story though, demonstrates he had his flaws, just like the rest of us. A fellow human, of great accomplishment. RIP, John Dobson.
Marty

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: R.I.P. John Dobson new [Re: bumm]
      #6317764 - 01/17/14 01:00 AM

Dobson could be very abrasive on occasion, even to the point of being rude. I personally witnessed this at more than one venue.

Every human being has his or her shortcomings and that's why hero-worshipping is never a good thing.

I spent over two hours tonight observing from my light-polluted, moonlight-drenched front yard in memory of Mr. Dobson. He probably wouldn't have approved, however, since I was using a commercially-manufactured Orion SkyQuest Dob and some very expensive eyepieces.

Dave Mitsky

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: R.I.P. John Dobson new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6317867 - 01/17/14 03:38 AM

I also encountered him a few times. One time at Grand Canyon Star Party he was patrolling the grounds when he came upon me and my fancy 6" equatorial refractor. I half expected him to berate me for having an expensive small-aperture commercial telescope like that, but instead he had a look and said a few polite words. I did once witness him being pretty snarky to a couple of boys who were getting lasso lessons from him.

moladso

Reged: 01/24/08

Loc: Spain
Re: R.I.P. John Dobson new [Re: Joe Bergeron]
      #6318581 - 01/17/14 12:50 PM

THANKS Mr. Dobson.
Rest In Peace.

curiosidad
sage

Reged: 06/09/11

Re: R.I.P. John Dobson [Re: rdandrea]
      #6319064 - 01/17/14 04:37 PM

Rest in space John
A Hero for me!!!
Best

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: R.I.P. John Dobson new [Re: bumm]
      #6322276 - 01/19/14 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As a very young man/boy, I met him at TSP. He stopped, I think because of my age, and we had a very brief conversation about astronomy and the joy of being at a place like TSP. He then asked about my scope. I uncovered my C8 with great pride and he scoffed and said I should build my own. I suppose he might be happy to know I have one of his namesakes in my garage now but I still haven't built my own scope. As I told him, the universe doesn't need the scope my hands would build.

It's always sad to lose anyone, but 98 years and the legacy he leaves is about as good as you can do. I'd feel fortunate to do either.

I thought for a long time before commenting on this. We as amateur astronomers owe a great debt to John Dobson, but that's a sort of rotten thing to say to a kid. When my time comes, I'd feel privileged to think that maybe I helped just one kid cultivate an interest in this wonderful hobby, much less give a gift like John Dobson did. This story though, demonstrates he had his flaws, just like the rest of us. A fellow human, of great accomplishment. RIP, John Dobson.
Marty

The "brief conversation" was long enough that I was not terribly uncomfortable with his scoffing. I knew who he was - was, indeed, very honored to be speaking with him. I'd like to think we'd talked long enough (and pleasantly enough) that his scoffing at a commercial scope was more a sign he held me in respect than that he was really trying to put me down. He seemed very happy at my youthful enthusiasm.

Of course, had he ever encountered me with a power tool he might well have bought me a scope himself.

Anyway, yes, his response to my scope was rather abrasive. That made him much more real to me than most "heroes" I've met. It wasn't a terribly rude, out of the blue comment. I'm sorry if I gave the impression he just walked up to me and popped off. I certainly wouldn't say he was warm and cuddly. But he was right at home at a star party and I'm glad to have met him.

MundoTozz

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Pittsburgh PA
Re: R.I.P. John Dobson new [Re: bunyon]
      #6336337 - 01/26/14 10:38 AM

I never met him. Wish I did ,even just for a minute or two. Can not believe I've seen nothing of his passing on mainstream news. Now he's part of the galaxy ... gotta build me a dob.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: R.I.P. John Dobson new [Re: MundoTozz]
      #6336515 - 01/26/14 12:05 PM

Do the New York Times, the Washington Post, and CNN qualify?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/22/science/space/john-dobson-dies-at-98-taught...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/john-dobson-evangelist-...

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1075699

Dave Mitsky

MundoTozz

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Pittsburgh PA
Re: R.I.P. John Dobson new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6338022 - 01/27/14 01:56 AM

I figured the LA times nothing on the TV Not that he would have expected such a thing at least NPR no disrespect or hate here just saying .... I had always hoped to hear him speak "someday"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3414

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics