Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Parks Gold Question... new [Re: TheObserver]
      #6321067 - 01/18/14 06:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have the 10mm and the 15mm Parks Gold.. I personally don't jump when any of these 5 element eyepieces become available but these should be as good as any..

Jon

Jon how would you rate them are they worth the price? i mean i see the resell value isn't all that great.

I consider them the equal of The Celestron Ultima's which is to say top tier ~52 degree eyepieces.. I buy to use, not to sell. If the price is right, I buy.

The April 1996 S&T had a nice test of a wide range of Plossls and the like. Eyepieces were tested on the optical bench and evaluated in the field. The two top performers were the TVs and the Ultimas.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Parks Gold Question... [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6321078 - 01/18/14 06:46 PM

Parks Gold Series Plossl = Baader Eudiascopic = Omcon Ultuma = Tuthill Plossl = Antares Elite Plossl = Celestron Ultima Plossl = ?
We think the design is after the Zeiss Astroplanokular design, c.1945.
These were all made in Japan by the same firm and private-labeled to the US and other countries.
The Meade Series 4000 Super Plossl (pre-1994, 5 element), and Takahashi LE are the same design, but made by other factories.
Kasai Trading (Japan) is also selling an "Astroplan" eyepiece, which I believe is the same design.
2:1:2 design with focal plane outside the last element.
The 35mm had/has a focal plane larger than the inside diameter of the eyepiece lower barrel. This was accomplished by placing the focal plane above the barrel. As a result, this focal length requires a lot of in-focusing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 603

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics