Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
mloffland

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Norman, Oklahoma
Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor new
      #3496029 - 12/11/09 02:13 PM

Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DocFinance
sage

Reged: 01/14/14

Loc: Clear Lake, Texas
Re: Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Refractor [Re: mloffland]
      #6322897 - 01/19/14 07:47 PM

Just saw this review and wanted to comment.

I ended up getting a Powerseeker 80eq over the holidays - it was an impulse buy. My 7-year-old daughter seems to be more interested in some of the things we can see from the ground, so I wanted to get something that we could use for planets, etc. that wasn't complicated to operate. Man does this fit the bill.

We took it out for First Light last night, and Jupiter was at zenith, with the 4 moons spread out pretty far around it. (I hadn't planned on taking it out, but after just stepping outside with my 7x35s and seeing the moons so far from Jupiter, I thought it would be a bad omen to miss that opportunity.

Of course the mount is shaky. I've seen all different versions of the EQ2 mount over the years, but this one was by far the worst I've played with. Same design, poorer precision in manufacture. It's the first one I've seen where tightening the axis clamps shifted the view and KEPT shifting it. But...it had it's advantages - I could push-to just about anywhere and it would stay, which is useful. Also, it balanced easily and went together easily, although it would be very easy for someone unaccustomed to working with this kind of thing to overtighten some of the contacts on this mount (brass in plastic at the top of the tripod legs, for example).

The clarity from this thing rivals my ETX and C5, which I wouldn't have believed beforehand. Field is flat, and consistent all the way to the edge. Jupiter had plenty of color and the 4 moons were flat points of light. Amazing.

The 20mm eyepiece that comes with it is pretty good, as is the cheap 5x24 finder. I didn't bother with the higher power stock eyepiece, but my classic 12.4 Meade plossl worked great. My Orion 40mm Kellner gave a great view of the Pleiades in one field.

I am impressed, and I think it would be the perfect first scope for most young astronomers out there. For the price, certainly, there isn't anything else like it out there.

Followup:
I just reread Mike's review, and I wanted to comment on a couple of things.

First, the small cap in the middle of the main objective cover removes and gives great views of the moon without a moon filter. I imagine the original purpose of this was to allow for views of the Sun back when scopes came with the screw-on sun filter for the eyepiece. Or I guess it would work to stop it down for eyepiece projection. In any case it worked very well on the nearly full moon last night. Lots of contrast and not much washout. Without a moon filter. For a beginner, this would be a bonus.

The documentation isn't blurry and hard to understand, so maybe that's been upgraded.

I was surprised to see that it has a locking focuser. With a little lubricant it smoothed up quickly.

Finally, I put a Surplus Shed 6x30 RA finder on it using the existing posts for the cheapie that was supplied. No adjustment needed. I tried to use the dovetail on the focuser with an older dovetail mount that I had (also cast, cheapie Japanese/Chinese 3-screw) but it wouldn't fit. Oh well.

Edited by DocFinance (01/19/14 08:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 986

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics