Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
B. Cook
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: No. California
Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #6325973 - 01/21/14 11:47 AM

+1 for the variable pulse unit. It should come standard.
--------------------
Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astro_Brucitor

Reged: 08/19/13

Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars new [Re: B. Cook]
      #6326010 - 01/21/14 12:10 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I ordered a Telrad and it should be coming in on Friday so hopefully I get a chance to play around with it and get it adjusted.

petrus45
sage

Reged: 01/31/11

Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.
Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars new [Re: Astro_Brucitor]
      #6327304 - 01/21/14 11:00 PM

I have a Telrad on my Z10, and use it exclusively, going directly to wide field EPs. I can find what I am looking for usually in a matter of seconds. I don't even use the finder scope any more.

A nice mod for a Telrad is to put flexible adhesive fridge magnets on the bottom. Then you can take it off, put it back on, and move it around very easily. I have it calibrated so if I push it up against the focuser block, and forward against the lip of the OTA it's ready to go.

One of the biggest improvements for the overall enjoyment of the scope - and for not much money.

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars new [Re: petrus45]
      #6327317 - 01/21/14 11:07 PM

Quote:

I have a Telrad on my Z10, and use it exclusively, going directly to wide field EPs. I can find what I am looking for usually in a matter of seconds. I don't even use the finder scope any more.

A nice mod for a Telrad is to put flexible adhesive fridge magnets on the bottom. Then you can take it off, put it back on, and move it around very easily. I have it calibrated so if I push it up against the focuser block, and forward against the lip of the OTA it's ready to go.

One of the biggest improvements for the overall enjoyment of the scope - and for not much money.

Does not work very well for my aluminum-tubed refractor. Instead, I got a roll of double-sided velcro tape. Cut two strips long enough to go around the tube with several inches of overlap. I put them on soft-side down to avoid scratching the paint. Works great, holds alignment all night, no issues and I can reposition the Telrad or easily move it to a different OTA.

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars new [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #6327468 - 01/22/14 12:43 AM

The real power of a telrad is when used under relatively dark skies in conjunction with telrad charts. One moves the scope to the position shown on the star chart, look in a low power eyepiece and, voila, the object is there just like it wold be with DSC. It can also be used to star hop under dark skies.

In light polluted skies it can really only be used to find the brightest stars, like you would do to align DSCs or to star hop using a magnifying finder like a 9x50. If this is the only intended use then a red dot finder is all that is needed so you can save some money and weight. As others have said, you used the telrad (or RDF) to quickly locate the bright star, then move to an eyepiece or magnifying finder. If aligning, I always use relatively high power to increase accuracy.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars [Re: ThreeD]
      #6327809 - 01/22/14 08:27 AM

I reached a watershed moment last night......I had to change my Telrad batteries....both of them. They finally went dead after my memory experiment failed, causing me to frequently forget to turn it off.

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6329243 - 01/22/14 07:39 PM

Quote:

I reached a watershed moment last night......I had to change my Telrad batteries....both of them. They finally went dead after my memory experiment failed, causing me to frequently forget to turn it off.

Any guess how many hours of run-time you had? Curious how long these batteries will last.

petrus45
sage

Reged: 01/31/11

Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.
      #6329492 - 01/22/14 10:19 PM

I've inadvertently left the Telrad on for days at a time without draining the batteries.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars new [Re: petrus45]
      #6329498 - 01/22/14 10:23 PM

Its been three years and there have been times its been left on for weeks...

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6330026 - 01/23/14 08:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Any guess how many hours of run-time you had? Curious how long these batteries will last.

It depends on the brightness... I recently measured the current draw of a Telrad. At maximum brightness, it was 12.4ma. At full brightness, 2000 ma-hr Alkaline AA batteries would last about a week.

But no one uses a Telrad at full brightness. A more normal brightness measured 0.4ma and the 2000 ma-hr AA cells would last about 200 days.

Jon

Astro_Brucitor

Reged: 08/19/13

Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6334978 - 01/25/14 02:12 PM

So I got my Telrad in the mail yesterday and promptly installed it on to my telescope. As mentioned in previous posts it was quite easy. I removed the telrad from the mounting plate and used electrical tape to attach the mount to the telescope then reattached the Telrad to the mounting plate.

Once under the stars using I aligned the scope and the Telrad using a street light about 300 yards away (100'ish meters) and calibrated the Telrad to match what I was seeing in my eyepiece.

Once the Telrad was aligned with the scope (took about 5 minutes) I used the Telrad to find Jupiter and once I did it was inside the eyepiece and it took about 30 seconds.

From there I locked the RA and Dec tabs on the mount and turned the mount on and had no problem finding alignment stars as long as I could see them.

In summary the Telrad was 100% worth the $40 I spent and has made finding alignment stars incredibly easy as long as I can spot them in my light polluted skies. I would definitely recommend this as a must buy for any beginner astronomer/astrophotographer.

Thank you to all the awesome people who gave their input on this much appreciated =o)

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Using a Telrad for Locating Alignment Stars new [Re: Astro_Brucitor]
      #6335340 - 01/25/14 05:33 PM

One nice thing I like about the Telrad on my 20-inch Dob: I can use it while standing on the ground! That helps a lot with finding alignment stars, especially at dusk with just 1st mag stars visible.

I saw a guy with one of the four Obsession 36ers who had added an extra pole on the eyepiece side of his mirror box. The pole had a 7x50 monocular (or half of an old binocular?) with cross hair eyepiece mounted at the perfect height to use while standing on the ground.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 870

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics