Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
nwcs

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Tennessee
iOptron ZEQ25 case packaging new
      #6325747 - 01/21/14 09:18 AM

Can anyone post a picture of how they package their mount in the iOptron case? I got the case yesterday (and the mount 2 months ago). I'm not exactly sure how to contort the mount to fit into the foam padding. Would really help to see a picture of how it should look. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chuckwagon

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Orem, Utah, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25 case packaging new [Re: nwcs]
      #6327297 - 01/21/14 10:56 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

I don't really know how to attach an image, so if this fails I apologize. (Looks like it worked, yay!) Here is an image of my mount in it's case. I adjusted the DEC to a low setting so it wasn't as snug a fit, but it will go in with it in other orientations. Note that you can rotate the foam to any orientation you prefer, this is just how I stuck it in on short notice. Hope this helps.

Charles

Edited by Chuckwagon (01/21/14 10:56 PM)

ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Reged: 02/06/05

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Re: iOptron ZEQ25 case packaging new [Re: Chuckwagon]
      #6327692 - 01/22/14 06:51 AM

Nicely done, Charles! Your picture really tells me what to expect when I order my ZEQ25. Thanks!

Chuckwagon

Re: iOptron ZEQ25 case packaging new [Re: ScottAz]
      #6328128 - 01/22/14 11:27 AM

Happy to help. The case is apparently used for more than one model of mount, so I guess they just alter the foam part of the packaging for the mount intended. It isn't quite as good a fit as I'd like. I think they could have shaped the foam a bit more precisely. The base of the mount doesn't really have enough room, and depending on the DEC setting it can be a tight fit. But it's nothing major and you can make minor modifications with a little careful knife use, so I'm happy enough with it. It's not a particularly expensive case, though not exactly cheap either, so I guess it's about what I'd expect.

It's handy to have, and does offer some protection, but don't expect it to perform miracles. My original case was damaged in shipping when the shipping box was apparently dropped. The drop was enough that the mount had sufficient momentum to punch right through the metal case siding, splitting a 4 inch tear in it. The tear was right where the base squeezes in, where the foam was most compressed, so bad luck on how the box fell I suppose. The mount was ok, but the case needed replacing. So I'd prefer about an inch more clearance around the mount inside the case, with some extra foam, and a more precise fit. But it'll do for most situations.

Cheers,
Charles

nwcs

Re: iOptron ZEQ25 case packaging [Re: Chuckwagon]
      #6328266 - 01/22/14 12:29 PM

Thanks! That's kind of how I put mine in. I originally was trying to keep my latitude set but it didn't look like I could. Wasn't sure if I had to do more than just change that. I wish there was room for the counterweight, though...

Chuckwagon

#6329765 - 01/23/14 02:06 AM

The CW will fit, it can go into the rectangular hole. (upper left in the picture) In fact, I believe the entire mount, CW, CW shaft, cables, controller, and tripod spreader will fit in the case, because that's how it all was shipped to me. I don't remember off hand how all the bits were packed, but I only got 2 boxes, one with the tripod minus the spreader, and one box with the case, with all the parts inside the case. The CW shaft and tripod spreader go into the top foam piece between the foam and the case lid, there are cut-outs for them there. And somehow everything squeezes in. But I didn't like having the controller so constrained, so until I take the time to re-cut the foam, or replace it with better fitted foam, I'm just carrying my mount, CW, CW shaft, and spreader in the case. The other bits I put in another padded carrying case with more room.

Clear skies,
Charles

nwcs

Re: iOptron ZEQ25 case packaging new [Re: Chuckwagon]
      #6330654 - 01/23/14 01:08 PM

Hmm, I tried putting in the CW and it didn't fit really. When I got mine (I got the case later) the CW was packed in a separate box. I also have a powerweight so I've got to carry that anyway. Unfortunately my telescope weight has grown to need the included weight but can't use the powerweight on its own. So it's two weights for me...

Chuckwagon

#6330673 - 01/23/14 01:19 PM

Yeah, it's a tight fit. Look at the Knowing ZEQ25GT 2" for AP thread for pictures of how it all comes packed. They do squeeze it all in. But if you're going to be needing the two CWs, I'd just get another case of some kind to carry them in and free up the space in your mount case.

Edited by Chuckwagon (01/23/14 01:24 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 370

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics