Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
mounting rings question
      #6328446 - 01/22/14 01:48 PM

I have a orion short tube 80T refractor and would like to use it as a finder scope. would the stellavue R80D finder rings for dovetail mounting work or some other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, donnie3

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
fmhill
sage

Reged: 07/17/12

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
Re: mounting rings question new [Re: donnie3]
      #6328498 - 01/22/14 02:13 PM

Hi Donnie,

I have used the stellarvue R80E rings set with the stellarvue F80M3 Finder/guide scope as a autoguide scope using a ADM D size clamp to mount the R80E rings set to a top dovetail rail on a Celestron edge HD 11 inch OTA. This setup has worked very well for me, equally as stable as an ADM rings set with an Orion ED80 APO which I use as a Widefield imaging scope piggyback mounted on the EdgeHD 11 inch which also gets used as a guide scope at times.

The only difference between the stellarvue R80D and the R80E rings sets is the mounting bracket. I chose the R80E as my intent was by drilling and tapping a single 1/4-20 hole in the center of the bar, I could directly mount the R80E rings to an ADM rail clamp.

The only caution I would offer, you will have to check the body diameter of the Celestron ST80 telescope as compared to the body diameter of the stellarvue F80M3 Finder scope. Your make sure there is adequate clearance to be able to adjust the aim of the ST 80 scope.

I have used the stellarvue R80E rings set for a couple of projects and find them to work very adequately, a much more economical solution to mounting a guide scope as compared to the price of the ADM guide scope mounting accessories. In all fairness to ADM, the ADM guide scope mounting hardware is built like a Sherman tank, and would be a better choice in high critical applications.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 112

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics