Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
George9
sage

Reged: 12/11/04

Daytime light leaks new
      #6325006 - 01/20/14 08:46 PM

I was just reviewing the excellent threads comparing the Mark V to Binotron (thanks to all, especially Eddgie).

Has anyone noticed any light leaks during solar viewing in either one?

I have the Denk II, and I found two leaks. One is due to the sun making its way into the Powerswitch. When you are looking at the sun, it is exactly 90 degrees to the Powerswitch, and it makes it way into a crevice between the two flat halves of the Powerswitch. A small piece of black electrical tape solved that.

The other was the sun actually going through the translucent plastic round covers. That is, the frame is metal, but the prism covers are plastic to keep the weight down. It leads to a dull orange glow off axis if the binoviewers are exposed directly to the sun. I solved it by painting the inside of the covers with flat black paint, using temporary tape to avoid painting any of the mating surfaces. Now I can use the binoviewer in direct sunlight.

The other solution is to use a hood, which I often do, but not always.

I had talked to Russ. He had tested them at nighttime with no consequential leak (I agree), and he uses a hood for solar.

I see that the Binotron is black, so I wonder if that part is solved. Is the Mark V metal or plastic?

(And by the way, one more acknowledgment of Denk service. I dropped my binoveiwers in the first week, and Russ had them back to me fixed--for free--a week later.)

George

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TGModerator
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
Re: Daytime light leaks new [Re: George9]
      #6328296 - 01/22/14 12:44 PM

Mark V is all metal.

George9
sage

Reged: 12/11/04

Re: Daytime light leaks [Re: TG]
      #6328588 - 01/22/14 02:55 PM

Thanks. George

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 206

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics