Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
David Allen

Reged: 10/04/09

Loc: Huntsville, Alabama
Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new
      #3542372 - 01/05/10 11:30 PM

I am looking to upgrade the stock focuser and would love to have some recommendations from those that have already tried things. I looked back through the posts a long way and could not find anything on this.

First, I plan on trying the coffee cup ring (From Bob I think?) to see if that helps. I may try something a bit more high tech and go with a rubber washer or something. But, since I have the cash left over from Christmas (a fool and his money ) I was looking at either a Starlight Instruments Feather Touch 10:1 manual focuser or some kind of rear cell mounted Crayford-style arrangement.

The feather touch seems simplest. Just replace the stock know with a new one.

But, I have heard the Crayford-style is better. But, I just bought a 2 diagonal that screw on to the rear cell. Would the Crayford make that useless? Does it add focal length? Will it make it too rear-heavy?

So many questions, so little experience. Any suggestions out there?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iceberg

Reged: 12/04/09

Loc: Calgary,Alberta Canada.
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: David Allen]
      #3542473 - 01/06/10 12:34 AM

Quote:

But, I just bought a 2 diagonal that screw on to the rear cell. Would the Crayford make that useless?

You can use 2" SCT thread adapter like this one.

http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=SCT-adapter

mbaier

Reged: 09/17/09

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: iceberg]
      #3542704 - 01/06/10 06:35 AM

David - i am sometimes using a crayford focuser with my 6SE. The only drawback is that due to its size, it will hit the telescope's base when observing objects high up in the sky. But it allows for really fine focusing.

I don't use it very often though because i always have to change the backlash settings on the scope due to the added weight.

I'm also planning to use the coffe cup solution with my focuser and also thought about using some sort of rubber washer or something. I'd be interested in what you come up with !

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: mbaier]
      #3542754 - 01/06/10 07:24 AM

Hi Dave,

As an alternative, have you considered the Celestron or perhaps preferrably, the JMI "Motofocus" ?

Both will give you fine focusing with the added advantage that there is no vibration when achieving such due to the fact that the 'scope is not touched at all and, certainly the shorter JMI unit will give you the necessary clearance you may require with a 2" diagonal.

Best regards,
Tel

Pastor Shaun

Reged: 12/10/09

Loc: Morris, IL USA
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Tel]
      #3542817 - 01/06/10 08:33 AM

My JMI "Motofocus showed up last night and I have installed it on my 8SE. I haven't had the scope out yet but have played with focusing. The wired controller has two settings, slow and (what i would call) normal. With both settings if you hold down the button for a few seconds the speed increases. I was able to focus in an object very easily. The thing I like about the MotoFocus is that you need not touch the scope when focusing. To me that is a plus over the Starlight or other manual knobs.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Pastor Shaun]
      #3542853 - 01/06/10 08:55 AM

I would like a new focuser for my 8se and on the recommendation of Tel and the others, the JMI motor focuser seems to be the one to have. The thing that puts me off is the price here in the U.K. A Skywatcher Motor focuser made up of a control box, cable and mechanical bit at the end cost 50 ($80). The JMI for the SE range of scopes made up of the same bits cost 151 ($241).
I know if I want one I will have to pay the price but I hate being ripped off.

Peter.

GizmoDave
sage

Reged: 12/06/09

Loc: California USA
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Peter9]
      #3542874 - 01/06/10 09:08 AM

The JMI unit is great for viewing, as pointed pointed out it does not require touching the scope which greatly reduces vibration. My only complaint is it moves too fast when attempting to achieve fine focus with a SLR attached.
Hitting the mount with a Crayford Focuser could be reduced and posibly eliminated witt Eddie's or Ron's rail mods, and they make a moto focus for the Crayford Focuser too.

mbaier

Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Peter9]
      #3542881 - 01/06/10 09:11 AM

Peter - it's a shame how us poor europeans generally get ripped off by the companies that import anstronomy items. My local celestron dealer wanted to charge me double the price for the 6SE and the same goes for all other accessories.

I just got my finderscope from http://www.agenaastro.com/ they have good prices and also reasonable shipping costs if you can accept shipping times of 2 weeks or so.

Edited by mbaier (01/06/10 09:12 AM)

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #3542898 - 01/06/10 09:27 AM

Scope and stuff sells a Commercial version of the Coffee Cup focusing aid...its is just a more expensive version that works the same way...

I have a Celestron MF (same as one of the JMI models) ...use it on both my 8i and my CPC and to be honest I really like it EXCEPT its way way too big and long..

I will say however that it took me a few nights to get the hang of using it..changing speeds, learning how to Bump it along as I get real close to focus etc...

Major advantage is naturally you never have to touch the scope which eliminates the shakes rattles and rolls I used to induce in the scope
Plus the battery seem to last forever ...with heavy use I know mine will last for 2 years easily

Bob G.

brmillsy

Reged: 07/29/09

Loc: Wheatfield, NY
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #3542922 - 01/06/10 09:45 AM

Another vote for the JMI unit. I feel it's better than the Celestron because it poses no clearance issues.

Having a motor focus is a huge advantage on a single fork mount which vibrates a lot even on grass.

At $160 US I found it to be very pricey for what it does (really a pretty simple device), but still a must have.

$214 USD for our European friends seems a bit like robbery. Why is is it so much over there? Taxes? Something else?

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #3542927 - 01/06/10 09:48 AM

What exactly is the "coffee cup solution"?

-Dan

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: GizmoDave]
      #3542948 - 01/06/10 10:03 AM

Quote:

they make a moto focus for the Crayford Focuser too.

Hi Dave,

I'd respectfully suggest either a Microfocuser or a powered "Motofocus" - but not a combination. A powered Crayford sounds to me like an unnecessary and expensive "double fix". (?)

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #3542961 - 01/06/10 10:13 AM Attachment (85 downloads)

Quote:

-Dan

Hi Dan, It's something similar to what you see on my focuser knob.

Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (01/06/10 10:25 AM)

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #3542972 - 01/06/10 10:20 AM

Quote:

-Dan

Hi Dan,

This stems (I think), and is certainly mentioned in Mike Swanson's Nexstar book under a section entitled "Improving Focusing Sensitivity".

In it he states that focusing at high magnifications can be frustrating due to the much greater sensitivity required. To achieve this (economically) therefore, the trick is to use a large circular object with a hole in the middle to fit over the existing focus knob. He then goes on to advocate the use of plastic jar lids, toy car tyres, and as Bob has often mentioned, the bottom of polystyrene coffee cups ! As MS points out : "The possibilities are endless" !

Best regards,
Tel

mbaier

Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Tel]
      #3543077 - 01/06/10 11:11 AM

...i'll look through my son's LEGO box tonight. I think he has alot of those big black plastic tires in there that should be big enough and should provide a nice grip too : )

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
      #3543110 - 01/06/10 11:26 AM

I've done the plastic knob improv, and it does work ok but..
the feathertouch is a dream to use. First of all the stock focuser on the c8 had too much resistance. Mine also had some areas of more resistance through the rotation. On an se model, any more resistance adds up to vibration at the ep. The feathertouch at the 10/1 knob takes only the lightest finger pressure to turn. Do not get the crayford as you will have clearance issues at the base well before you hit zenith.
bc

mylatestwhim

Reged: 01/14/14

Loc: Cheshire - UK
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: bcuddihee]
      #6328441 - 01/22/14 01:45 PM

Made one from a camera adapter and plastic discs. Works well and nice press fit.

May end up buying a feathertouch but this is ok for now

Crazyhorse1876

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Left Coast U.S.A.
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE [Re: mylatestwhim]
      #6328676 - 01/22/14 03:29 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

+1 for the JMI Motofocus. It does cost a bit but as far as I'm concerned it has paid for itself over and over again. It is small and stays well clear of the mount when near zenith.

Here is a image of my 8SE with the JMI MF installed.

maugi88
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/13

Loc: SE MN
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: Crazyhorse1876]
      #6328963 - 01/22/14 05:32 PM

I spent the money for a feathertouch and boy is that baby butter smooth. Its not free though, so to each their own.

all the best

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Focuser Upgrade for am 8SE new [Re: maugi88]
      #6329031 - 01/22/14 06:08 PM

Yup, I'm posting this link again.... LINK

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2299

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics