Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
jhayes_tucson
sage

Reged: 08/26/12

Loc: Bend, OR
A quick try at the Horse Head... new
      #6328670 - 01/22/14 03:27 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Here's a quick try at the Horse Head using a Hyperstar/C14. Freezing fog shut me down early so this is only about 26 minutes with an unmodified Canon 7D. There are some minor processing artifacts along with some optical artifacts due to an slowly iced up front correct plate during the exposures, but hey, you can see the horse head! Now I'm inspired to get it better (yep, I'll probably need another camera!)
John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: A quick try at the Horse Head... new [Re: jhayes_tucson]
      #6328677 - 01/22/14 03:30 PM

Wow. That looks incredible for an unmodified camera in such a short time. It looks like you definitely used a filter because of the star color. What filter was this? Also what were your exposure durations and ISO? What scope did you use.

Tell us more. Inquiring minds want to know.

jhayes_tucson
sage

Re: A quick try at the Horse Head... [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #6328714 - 01/22/14 03:47 PM

Sure…happy to tell you more. ISO was 800, OAT was probably 26 degrees so thermal noise was low. I took 5 subs at 30 seconds to check position and tracking and then managed to get 13 subs at 60 seconds before the corrector iced up. The last few images probably had a fair amount of fog freezing to the optics before I discovered the problem. That almost certainly caused the big halos around the bright stars. The Hyperstar operates at f/1.9 on the C14 so it gathers light pretty fast. I was also using an IDAS LPS-D1 light pollution filter. Saturation is turned up pretty high which amplifies the color of the halos around the bright stars. Diffraction from the small water/ice drops may have caused some of that color (just a guess.)
John

nodalpoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
      #6328738 - 01/22/14 03:59 PM

Looks nice.

Just FYI, all the pictures posted seem to be flipped. I guess from the SCT.

srosenfraz
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/11

Loc: United States
Re: A quick try at the Horse Head... new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6328902 - 01/22/14 05:07 PM

Very nice looking HH, John - surprisingly nice reds for an unmodded camera. Imaging at f/2 sure has its advantages!

Nodalpoint is correct about the image being flipped. You can correct it by flipping (or mirroring) the image horizontally.

Congrats on such a nice image.

jhayes_tucson
sage

Re: A quick try at the Horse Head... new [Re: srosenfraz]
      #6328927 - 01/22/14 05:17 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Quote:

Very nice looking HH, John - surprisingly nice reds for an unmodded camera. Imaging at f/2 sure has its advantages!

Nodalpoint is correct about the image being flipped. You can correct it by flipping (or mirroring) the image horizontally.

Congrats on such a nice image.

Ok guys, you are right. Putting the sensor at the prime focus flips everything and I didn't think much of it until you guys pointed it out. Thanks for the tip--I'll flip photos from now on. So, here it is as you would see it in the sky.
John

Edited by jhayes_tucson (01/22/14 05:20 PM)

gsrs.family

Reged: 01/24/13

Loc: Cypress, TX
      #6329041 - 01/22/14 06:14 PM

Quote:

Sure…happy to tell you more. ISO was 800, OAT was probably 26 degrees so thermal noise was low. I took 5 subs at 30 seconds to check position and tracking and then managed to get 13 subs at 60 seconds before the corrector iced up. The last few images probably had a fair amount of fog freezing to the optics before I discovered the problem. That almost certainly caused the big halos around the bright stars. The Hyperstar operates at f/1.9 on the C14 so it gathers light pretty fast. I was also using an IDAS LPS-D1 light pollution filter. Saturation is turned up pretty high which amplifies the color of the halos around the bright stars. Diffraction from the small water/ice drops may have caused some of that color (just a guess.)
John

Very nice for the unmodified camera, and you gave lots of information. Thanks

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 187

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics