Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
Emanuel
sage

Reged: 08/30/09

Guiding
      #6332190 - 01/24/14 09:30 AM

Hey good people, how`s going?
Here`s a question ive always wanted to ask: can you guide your telescope mount through a tablet? And how? Wi-fi? Normal usb connection?
The idea was to guide through a small tablet, saving some equipment weight! I do have the Ipad2, but im not sure if it can be possible!

Edited by Emanuel (01/24/14 09:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ricky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/03

Loc: Nor Cal
Re: Guiding new [Re: Emanuel]
      #6332518 - 01/24/14 12:30 PM

I think you can guide through a Win 8.1 Pro tablet and not the 8 RT version.

Emanuel
sage

Re: Guiding new [Re: Ricky]
      #6332847 - 01/24/14 02:35 PM

Hummmm. I see... Thanks for the answer my friend.

Jon Rista
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/10/14

Loc: Colorado
Re: Guiding new [Re: Emanuel]
      #6342476 - 01/29/14 07:02 AM

If you have any Windows 8/Pro device (non Windows-RT) that offers USB ports, you can gude. Microsofts Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 both work. Pro 2 is the much better option...battery life should last through most of the night. You can also install any other software you need to perform AP, such as control software (Nebulosity) and planetarium software (TheSky, StarryNight, WWT, etc.)

The Surface Pro/2 are actually quite nice, as they include a stylus, which often makes using these programs on the high density screens these modern tablets have a lot easier.

When it comes to iPad, you might want to check here:

http://astronomyonline.org/AstronomySoftware.asp

I don't know of any guiding software that works on iOS, but I kind of ditched the Apple platforms and went back to Windows a while ago (in no insignificant part because Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro and compatible devices are full blown PC computers that run any and every application ever made for the Windows OS...makes them eminently capable.)

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Guiding new [Re: Jon Rista]
      #6342662 - 01/29/14 09:44 AM

If you're a hobbyist, you can make a Raspberry Pi auto guiding setup. I think it's pretty mature at this point. it does use INDI/linux, but it's not too shabby.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Guiding new [Re: Raginar]
      #6342755 - 01/29/14 10:25 AM

He asked about a tablet, not a singleboard computer. And if you are interested in a compact NON TABLET computer for guiding, there is no need to mess with Linux and the limited choices available there. Just scoot to BestBuy and pick up a Windows netbook. PHD guiding--or any other Windows autoguiding program--will like it just fine. ;-)

anat
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/03/04

Re: Guiding new [Re: rmollise]
      #6342762 - 01/29/14 10:29 AM

This is the solution to use a mobile device to control an autoguider:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iastrohub/

Emanuel
sage

Re: Guiding new [Re: anat]
      #6351461 - 02/02/14 03:18 PM

Thanks for the answers guys! The idea was to keep it as simple as possible! Been looking on the stand alone autoguider from Celestron and Skywatcher, wich are the same, but ive saw more bad reviews than good, so im not going through there, although if it was a reliable system, it was the best to use. An of axis guider is also a possibility, but there's also the problem of finding a good star to guide, specially when youre imaging a faint object with no significant bright stars around. The normal guide tube and guide camera seems to be the best option and the Notebook probably the lightest solution. I know that astrophotography means plenty of acessories, but if you eliminate some, such as the computer and all the electrical cable connections, im sure that it would make your life easier.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Guiding new [Re: rmollise]
      #6354926 - 02/04/14 06:36 AM

Oh, thanks Rob, I really appreciate the clarification. It's a good thing you're here.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 445

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics