Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Rankinstudio
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/05/08

Loc: Southern UT
CGE PRO questions
      #6333565 - 01/24/14 08:09 PM

I am an EQ6 guy so this is pretty new to me.

The CGE Pro has a "PC" port that lets you hook up the nexremote digital hand controller. Can this then be used with a stand alone guiding system and PHD to guide through that PC port or do you have to use a special cable with the actual hand controller?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CharlesW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: Rankinstudio]
      #6333692 - 01/24/14 09:41 PM

This site may answer your question for you. http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/PortsCGEPro.htm

Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: CharlesW]
      #6333873 - 01/24/14 11:31 PM

The pc port adapter is not manufactured anymore nor finding one unless you beg a dealer that might have one good chance they wont or your really good with DIY. I wont mess with cables IMHO the Keyspan usb adapter is used with the HC regards

Skunky
sage

Reged: 09/16/13

#6333896 - 01/24/14 11:52 PM

Quote:

The CGE Pro has a "PC" port that lets you hook up the nexremote digital hand controller. Can this then be used with a stand alone guiding system and PHD to guide through that PC port or do you have to use a special cable with the actual hand controller?

Thanks!

You don't even need to have the hand controller hooked up to the mount.. everything is done through nexremote. You can still hook up the st4 cable (which goes to the autoguider port) for guiding or not and use ascom.

The nexstar site or astrogeeks has the pin-outs and the cable can be purchased fairly easily.. in fact I'll sell you mine since I don't have a cge-pro anymore :P

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #6333950 - 01/25/14 12:34 AM

Quote:

The pc port adapter is not manufactured anymore

That was for mounts that didn't already have a PC port in them. The CGE Pro has a PC port, as the poster has mentioned. No PC port adaptor required.

Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6334237 - 01/25/14 07:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The pc port adapter is not manufactured anymore

That was for mounts that didn't already have a PC port in them. The CGE Pro has a PC port, as the poster has mentioned. No PC port adaptor required.

Awwww OK I stand corrected...

Rankinstudio
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: CharlesW]
      #6334467 - 01/25/14 10:19 AM

Quote:

This site may answer your question for you. http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/PortsCGEPro.htm

I had already downloaded that software and can't find much reliable information on how to get everything up and working how I envision it.

The PC port is a simple ethernet RJ45. I would like to be able to guide it like I do the atlas. With a separate guider mounted on the scope and using PHD. Is this possible with the PC port on the CGE Pro using the digital hand controller?

Thanks for all the help!

Rankinstudio
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: Skunky]
      #6334470 - 01/25/14 10:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

You don't even need to have the hand controller hooked up to the mount.. everything is done through nexremote. You can still hook up the st4 cable (which goes to the autoguider port) for guiding or not and use ascom.

The nexstar site or astrogeeks has the pin-outs and the cable can be purchased fairly easily.. in fact I'll sell you mine since I don't have a cge-pro anymore :P

Is that cable just Serial to RJ45? I already have a USB > Serial > RJ45.

How much do you want for it?

Thanks!

CharlesW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
      #6334510 - 01/25/14 10:44 AM

If this will help, I'm driving through Saint George, Washington, Hurricane, Apple Valley, Kanab on February 1st. I have a Tripp Lite B090-A9M Cisco RJ45 to DB9M that you can have. I see you are in Southern Utah so if time and gas works out, let me know. Otherwise, I got this from Amazon and it didn't break the bank.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #6334546 - 01/25/14 11:09 AM

Quote:

The pc port adapter is not manufactured anymore nor finding one unless you beg a dealer that might have one good chance they wont or your really good with DIY. I wont mess with cables IMHO the Keyspan usb adapter is used with the HC regards

Negative. The Pro comes with a built in PC port.

OP: You run a COMPUTER running NexRemote to the PC port so you can operate the scope without the hardware hand control. Yes, you can use a guiding program in conjunction with NexRemote if you like, using the program's virtual port feature.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #6334625 - 01/25/14 11:40 AM

Quote:

I had already downloaded that software and can't find much reliable information on how to get everything up and working how I envision it.

The PC port is a simple ethernet RJ45. I would like to be able to guide it like I do the atlas. With a separate guider mounted on the scope and using PHD. Is this possible with the PC port on the CGE Pro using the digital hand controller?

David, You can guide with either of two options: The ST-4 compatible Autoguide port on the mount OR using pulse guiding via the serial hand controller port (the little RJ22 connection at the base of the hand controller).

You can also control the mount via that little serial hand controller port OR via the PC Port. The cables for these two options are different. The serial hand controller port is a simple 3 pin RS232 interface (in a 4 pin connector), the PC Port is a bit more robust using the additional control lines, it's a 5 pin RS232 interface (in an 8 pin connector).

If you want to use the PC Port you MUST also be running the virtual hand controller software called NexRemote. Because this is a full replacement for the real hand controller it also emulates that little serial hand controller port, this is the virtual serial port that Uncle Rod mentioned. The benefit of using the PC Port for mount control is that you can unplug the real hand controller.

Skunky
sage

Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: mclewis1]
      #6335505 - 01/25/14 07:20 PM

Its just a straight through cable. So yes you could use a cat5 cable. It would then depend on your rj45 serial adapter pinout.

petemumbower
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: West Michigan
      #6335676 - 01/25/14 09:45 PM

Glad I check in the mount section tonight. Been wondering about the PC port on my new CGE-Pro. Sure will be nice to put the HC away. But can I have the HC plugged in still while using the NexRemote to control via the PC port? I would only use the HC when doing the initial alignment to bump the scope close enough (with only using the direction arrows and no other keys)

Skunky
sage

Re: CGE PRO questions *DELETED* new [Re: petemumbower]
      #6335726 - 01/25/14 10:33 PM

Post deleted by "Skunky"

Forget it.. as usual, someone thinks they "KNOW" and wants to start a flame war..

Carl N
sage

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #6335733 - 01/25/14 10:38 PM

Well that sux

Edited by Carl N (01/25/14 10:41 PM)

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: petemumbower]
      #6335734 - 01/25/14 10:39 PM

Pete,

Yes you can do exactly that ... and yes you're correct, those arrow keys are the only keys you can use in that situation.

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
      #6335855 - 01/26/14 12:27 AM

Agree with the above, if you are going to use NexRemote, having the actual hand controller installed can only cause problems. It really is too bad that they don't communicate with one another because using the real hand controller for initial 2+4 and polar alignment is easier, but once I'm done with that it is more convenient to do all the commands from your PC along with imaging etc.

Rankinstudio
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGE PRO questions new [Re: end]
      #6336258 - 01/26/14 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the info guys!

I understand the nexremote software is required to run it from the PC. My desire is to pulse guide through that software using PHD. I have the nexremote software up and running on Windows 8.1

So if I understand correctly, I can fully control this mount with just a cat 5 cable from my computer directly to the mount? Do you have to convert the cable to serial then usb or can you run it right into the LAN adapter on the computer?

Thanks again, very informative thread.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#6336387 - 01/26/14 10:56 AM

David,

No, you can't plug a cat5 Ethernet cable directly from your PC to the mount.

Control of the mount is only via one of the two serial RS232 interfaces mentioned above. So you either need a real serial port or a serial adapter (USB-RS232 is the most popular but there are other options).

The comment about a cat5 cable comes from the commercial cable Celestron used for the PC Port on the mount. That cable (#93922) is a combination of a small plastic DB9 to RJ45 adapter and a standard Ethernet patch cable (the cat5 part with RJ45 connectors on both ends). The nice thing about using the cat5 Ethernet patch cable is that they are cheap and readily available in lots of lengths so you could swap out the one that came with the Celestron cable and replace it with whatever length you needed.

The simplest place to start is with the basic Celestron serial hand controller cable (#93920) and a USB-serial adapter for your PC. Use your real hand controller for initial alignment and selecting objects and run PHD with ASCOM for autoguiding (using pulse guide command via that serial interface).

Once that setup works you can progress to setting up some control on your PC. Here you need to ensure that whatever app you are using to control the mount works with PHD using the same serial port. ASCOM will usually help here as the Celestron device driver will allow you to share the serial port between multiple apps. So with this setup you use the real hand controller to do the initial alignment and then move over to the PC for both control and autoguiding ... with only the one serial connection between the PC and the real hand controller.

Next you can move up to using the PC Port (with that PC Port cable) and the NexRemote software so you can remove the real hand controller. The initial alignment is now done via NexRemote on the PC. PHD can continue to pulse guide via the virtual serial port in NexRemote.

petemumbower
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: West Michigan
      #6337286 - 01/26/14 06:12 PM

Thanks for info also. I rarely use my hand control since the mount is in an observatory and I hibernate after using it. So it will be nice to put the HC away. So I ordered the Starfock RJ45-DB9 adapter for a few dollars.

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 520

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics