Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Binocular Universe: More Poop
      #6334681 - 01/25/14 12:08 PM

Binocular Universe: More Poop

By Phil Harrington

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
Re: Binocular Universe: More Poop new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #6336284 - 01/26/14 10:03 AM

Very nice write-up! I'll have to check out some of these... I only recently became aware of NGC 2451 after reading of it in Garrett Serviss' 1888 book "Astronomy With An Opera-Glass." He doesn't refer to any names or ngc numbers, but after describing the position says "Your attention will be arrested by a remarkable stellar arrangement, in which a beautiful half-circle of small stars curving above a larger star, which is reddish in color, is conspicuous." To me, it's more of a ring of small stars with a brighter red star at the bottom.
Marty

PhilH
sage

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Binocular Universe: More Poop new [Re: bumm]
      #6336323 - 01/26/14 10:30 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Quote:

Very nice write-up! I'll have to check out some of these... I only recently became aware of NGC 2451 after reading of it in Garrett Serviss' 1888 book "Astronomy With An Opera-Glass." He doesn't refer to any names or ngc numbers, but after describing the position says "Your attention will be arrested by a remarkable stellar arrangement, in which a beautiful half-circle of small stars curving above a larger star, which is reddish in color, is conspicuous." To me, it's more of a ring of small stars with a brighter red star at the bottom.
Marty

Thanks, Marty. And also thanks for mentioning one of my favorite books. I am fortunate enough to have two copies -- a first edition, but also a third edition that included two unexpected bonuses. The original owner, one Mr. E.D. Fisher, pasted in two of Serviss's newspaper columns from back in the day. But even better, he also pasted in an original note from Serviss himself, apparently answering a letter that Fisher must have sent him. Here's a scan of that note with Serviss's signature.

Incidentally, as part of the whole Project Gutenberg thing, you can download just about all of Serviss's books, including his works of fiction, from https://archive.org/details/texts

bumm
sage

Re: Binocular Universe: More Poop new [Re: PhilH]
      #6336448 - 01/26/14 11:25 AM

WOW!!! I don't think there's anything Biblical against me coveting that, is there?
"Astronomy With an Opera-Glass" is one of my favorites too. I have the 1888 first edition, just because I love it, and also a 1903 eighth edition as my knock-about copy. The note is wonderful, and the evidently beat up typewriter adds to it...
I have a gaggle of posts in these forums (or fora?) concerning Serviss' books. AWAOG is my favorite, closely followed by "Pleasures of the Telescope," and Round the Year With The Stars." Wonderful, charming, books. Although I enjoy them, "Astronomy With The Naked Eye" (Heavy Emphasis on Mythology,) and " Curiosities of the Sky," (Emphasis on now out-dated science,) aren't books that send me out into the dark.
I haven't read any of his science fiction, although I've downloaded some free examples onto my Kindle. These are books that are best read in musty, slightly browned, original form.
Of course, I also much enjoy my copy of "Touring the Universe Through Binoculars," by some Harrington guy...
Marty

PhilH
sage

#6336632 - 01/26/14 12:51 PM

Thanks, Marty! Hard to believe that TUB will be 24 years old this November!! Of course, I was but a child of 9 when I wrote it!

bumm
sage

#6336737 - 01/26/14 01:46 PM

I guess I was a child of 40 when I bought it...

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #6341213 - 01/28/14 02:50 PM

Hi Phil;

Yes, there certainly are lots of great things to see in Puppis. It is fascinating to me to see the difference between 2477 and 2451 so near to each other.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

PhilH
sage

Re: Binocular Universe: More Poop new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6342446 - 01/29/14 06:10 AM

True, Steve. Another nice contrast in cluster construction, of course, is M46 and M47.

The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
      #6344139 - 01/29/14 09:21 PM

I believe 2467 is more an emission nebula than open cluster. Its easily visible in binoculars (from dark slies)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 577

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics