Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

Re: Sky Tracker PE, how bad is this? new [Re: Chris_H]
      #6333770 - 01/24/14 10:44 PM

Thanks for the update.

As for the battery issue, yes it is tight. However, I've found that it depends upon the type and brand of battery. I tried to use some rechargeable Sanyo Eneloop batteries and it was VERY difficult to get those back into the unit. However, regular Sony alkaline batteries are relatively easy (but you still have to be careful and follow the installation recommendations that are given in the user manual).

I've had two different units (the first basically stopped working after the first night). The first one (that I had to return) had a wide, white nylon or teflon washer around the azimuth bearing surface. It was fairly solid and secure (on the azimuth), but the second unit lacked that washer and it seems a little less secure (but not, at present, very bad).

The main issue I have with my unit is that it seems to have a pretty large amount of periodic error. I've measured it at over 80 arc seconds peak-to-peak and I suspect that I won't be able to use it with lenses of over 100mm in focal length. Even at 100mm it will be something of a struggle, more likely I'll be limited to lenses of 50mm and below with exposures of one to two minutes (maybe one minute at the very best when using a 50mm lens).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chris_H
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Norway
Re: Sky Tracker PE, how bad is this? new [Re: james7ca]
      #6335289 - 01/25/14 05:13 PM

It didn't matter what batteries I used as the inside walls had powder-coating on them. I actually had a lot of trouble getting the holder out without any batteries installed.

Mine had the teflon washer but there was still too much play when tightening down the lock screw.

I agree on the bad PE. Hopefully it will improve a little after all I have done, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have to be honest and say I'm more then a little disappointed with the SkyTracker, especially after reading the glowing S&T review.

james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

Re: Sky Tracker PE, how bad is this? [Re: Chris_H]
      #6335433 - 01/25/14 06:27 PM

Chris, I agree that the S&T review doesn't represent what seems to be shipping to actual customers. In the long run it probably doesn't do iOptron any favors to have such an overly positive review posted to the internet. My experiences with the SkyTracker have basically "soured" me on any future iOptron products.

You may be interested in this thread (if you haven't already seen it):

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=lxd55&...,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=5858916&Search=true&where=&Name=199816&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post6333740

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 864

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics