Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: SN 2014J Obs<>25 Jan. 2014 new [Re: Andrev]
      #6344743 - 01/30/14 09:21 AM

Michel,
Provence sounds like a lovely place. I understand now what your last mag estimate is--sorry my Franch is poor.

Now it's 2 days later and if the SN continues to brighten then it would be closer to the star that Ken and Andre mention, which is mag 10.0--and the one next to it is mag 10.6 so that gives us two good nearby comparison stars.

I went out last,too but we've had such sustained cold that my big CAT wasn't working right. I did look with my 15x70's but only suspected the SN. Temp was 1F (-17C). Tha's just not enough degrees, folks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: SN 2014J Obs<>25 Jan. 2014 [Re: Special Ed]
      #6344759 - 01/30/14 09:30 AM

Glad we are all seeing the same thing. From your sketch Michael it has really increased intensity. I was using my 8 inch dob at about 150X. I could see it at much lower magnifications very easily. The cold and wind is just brutal. I lasted about a half hour but with nothing to shield the wind I had to call it quits. My wife was standing in the kitchen window in amazement why I would go out on such a cold night. When I came in all smiles saying I saw the super nova she understood it was a big deal to me although had no interest in trying to view it in the wind.

It will be interesting to see if it keeps increasing in brightness.

Ken

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: SN 2014J Obs<>Animation new [Re: kenrenard]
      #6352599 - 02/03/14 06:22 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

Ken, we've really had to pay dues to see this SN with the weather so cold for so many of us. I made my second observation on Feb. 2nd with the temperature a balmy 35F/2C--it was so much easier to do everything, the scope worked right, etc. I could stand more of that.

Eight days after my last observation, the supernova appeared much brighter and had an orangish hue which I did not detect back on Jan 25th. I studied it carefully with magnifications of 98x, 170x, 196x, and 340x comparing it to the 10.6 mag star (second nearby star to the right).

The SN did not appear to be quite as bright as 10.6 but it is hard to compare because the SN is against the background of the galaxy and not the blackness of space. When I use the defocusing trick I use for estimating comet magnitudes, the SN tends to disappear. Also, the SN appears more intense somehow but that might just be my fancy. Reports are that the SN 2014J has peaked.

The galaxy itself appeared mottled and brighter to the east and just west of the dust lane.

The color is exaggerated a bit in the animation but it's the best I could do. I used the same inverted sketch and applied the new observation digitally, then loaded it into gifmaker and voila! Hope you like it.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: SN 2014J Obs<>Animation new [Re: Special Ed]
      #6352858 - 02/03/14 09:51 AM

Quote:

...it is hard to compare because the SN is against the background of the galaxy and not the blackness of space. When I use the defocusing trick I use for estimating comet magnitudes, the SN tends to disappear. Also, the SN appears more intense somehow but that might just be my fancy.

Michael, I agree with your assessment regarding the challenge of determining visual mV because of that galactic b/g. But I also get a sense of intensity that I have concluded must be the warm hue SN against a seemingly cool gray galaxy, something like a contrast illusion. But, I'm picking it up with my eyes, too.

Excellent idea with the animation. I agree that the last time I observed (three days ago, now) I could more readily catch a yellowed tint, not to mention that it was clearly brighter. If I get off my duff I'll convert the notes and rough sketch to a finalized one in the next day or two.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: SN 2014J Obs<>Animation new [Re: Chopin]
      #6353055 - 02/03/14 11:32 AM

Michael,

Wonderful combination of sketches. The color does look yellower to me as well at the eyepiece and after 5 days from my sketch the supernova was brighter as predicted.
Well done.

Frank

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/04

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: SN 2014J Obs<>Animation new [Re: frank5817]
      #6354080 - 02/03/14 07:24 PM

Great sketch and animation thanks for sharing.

Aquarellia
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Provence, France
Re: SN 2014J Obs<>Animation new [Re: Tommy5]
      #6354898 - 02/04/14 05:57 AM

Michael, thank you for this idea !
This kind of realisation is very creative, whaw! I like to find such vision of the sky to share our view with others.
So, I will probably imitate this animation, please dont say no.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 768

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics