Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Bernd

Reged: 04/21/09

Mount identification headache
      #6345278 - 01/30/14 02:18 PM

I picked up a bunch of astro related items from a good friend who was slimming down his "inventory".
I have 2 EQ mounts that have NO identifying nametags at all.
I have looked at many hundreds of pictures to try to definitively identify these 2 mounts.
My mounts appear to be Vixen Great and Super Polaris 80's mounts right down to the nice wood tripods. But they could also be Celestron CG5 or EQ4.
Is there a sure fire way to determine which is which?
TIA for any assistance.
Bernd

Edited by Bernd (01/30/14 02:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Mount identification headache new [Re: Bernd]
      #6345367 - 01/30/14 03:02 PM

I am not an expert by any stretch but I did recently do a bunch of looking about when I got a beat up Super Polaris off my local craigslist. Looking at the first image I see the hexagonal stiffener nut (not sure the proper term) at the join between the counterweight bar and the mount itself. I am fairly sure that makes it a proper Vixen Super Polaris. Looking as close as I can every detail I can see in that top picture matches my Super Polaris.

The second one has the appearance of a CG5 to me, but I am not sure enough on the variances that exist between the CG5, Vixen GP, EQ5, etc. to be sure.

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
Re: Mount identification headache new [Re: Falcon-]
      #6345377 - 01/30/14 03:06 PM

I agree with Falcon. the first is definitely Super Polaris...the penlight adapter at the front gives it away, so do the vixen motor covers. The second picture is some Chinese Clone..maybe a CG5 or similiar. bob

orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
Re: Mount identification headache new [Re: bob midiri]
      #6345408 - 01/30/14 03:22 PM

I think second is probably Celestron ADM.

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Mount identification headache new [Re: orion69]
      #6345432 - 01/30/14 03:35 PM

Quote:

I think second is probably Celestron ADM.

ADM? I am not familiar with that one...

Bernd: Almost forgot - Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6346600 - 01/31/14 07:23 AM

The first is a Vixen Great Polaris. The second is a Chinese copy of same. Like a Celestron CG5 (non-go-to) or many others.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Mount identification headache new [Re: rmollise]
      #6346830 - 01/31/14 09:57 AM

I think the other posters are correct.. The first mount looks like a Vixen Super Polaris and not a Great Polaris.

The second mount is a "New" version of the CG5 (the original was only sold by Celestron as far as I know and had a different RA housing) but the brand name that it was sold under may not be Celestron. This mount was sold for a while under several different brand names.

And by the way, the "New" CG5 and clones are not really exact clones of the Vixen GP. The mount internals differ quite a bit. They look very similar, but even a casual inspection will show that the RA housings differ and the bearing design in the CG5 uses ball bearings in places that the GP does not.

I don't think I personally would call it a clone of the Great Polaris, but rather a derivative but different mount.

That derivative version is called the CG5, and this may be a clone of the Celestron CG5, but that is a different mount than the Vixen Great Polaris.

The OP can decide for himself though.. Just Web Search on "Pictures of Vixen Great Polaris" and he will easily see that they are not really the same mounts. Internal design is quite different which I would suspect was due to the fact that Celestron needed ball bearings at the rear of the RA worm can to support the heavier loads imposed by the C8 and C9.25. The original GG5 was much more like the GP, but the re-design, while similar, is really not the same mount.

I know it is a nit pic, but to me the word "Clone" implies duplicate DNA, and again, the GP and CG5 are quite different internally and this is hinted at in the RA housing appearance.

Edited by Eddgie (01/31/14 10:14 AM)

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #6346859 - 01/31/14 10:13 AM

Quote:

I agree with Falcon. the first is definitely Super Polaris...the penlight adapter at the front gives it away, so do the vixen motor covers. The second picture is some Chinese Clone..maybe a CG5 or similiar. bob

+1 I see the first mount as the Celestron version of the Vixen SP, but with Vixen SP options (the green color suggests Vixen.... if grey hammertone, then Celestron).

The second 'GEM looks like the Bosma EM-10. A good mount for the price.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #6346867 - 01/31/14 10:17 AM

Quote:

My mounts appear to be Vixen Great and Super Polaris 80's mounts right down to the nice wood tripods. But they could also be Celestron CG5 or EQ4.
Is there a sure fire way to determine which is which?
TIA for any assistance.

Big difference between GP and SP (and clones), easily seen in photos. I believe the difference between CG5/GPDX/GP2 and GP (and clones) is the use of thrust roller bearings viz plain.

wargrafix
sage

Reged: 04/10/13

Loc: Trinidad
      #6346974 - 01/31/14 11:07 AM

agreed. Definably non goto cg5

bob midiri
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04

Loc: pa 19320
      #6347234 - 01/31/14 01:23 PM

IIRC the Great Polaris had a dovetail adapter accepting a dovetail bar, where as the Super Polaris you had top bolt the rings to the head as in picture number one.

orion69
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/09/10

Loc: Croatia
      #6347241 - 01/31/14 01:28 PM

Second is Celestron ADM, I sold one recently.

http://www.zvjezdarnica.com/forum/index.php?topic=8941.msg198969#msg198969

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #6347260 - 01/31/14 01:46 PM

Yes, defintely a Super Polaris. Probably sold by Celestron in the '80s. The drives are a later add on. Celestron sold the SP in dark green hammertone and black. I think JDM Vixens were in a sort of Tak green.

The other is a GPDX copy. Maybe from the PRC or Taiwan. Probably from the same source as Celestron's CG-5. The original CG-5 was Synta's copy of the GP. Later ball bearings were added to the RA axle for higher load capacity. They were sold by several importers. I have no idea if Synta manufactured all of them or had a Chinese supplier that sold them to other buyers. This is not one of the Jinghua copies, which had slightly different castings. Jinghua supplied Meade and iOptron with GPDX copies. The last CG-5s came with the worms running on ball bearings.

Bernd

Reged: 04/21/09

Re: Mount identification headache new [Re: Geo.]
      #6347681 - 01/31/14 05:29 PM

Hey Guys
Thanks VERY much for your comments and explanations. It sure would have made things a LOT simpler if the manufacturers had simply put their company logo or nameplate on these things.
Both of these have the wood tripods (cool) and both track well. The Super Polaris has the Polar Alignment scope, the other does not, but both are very usable.
I can't decide whether to keep them or sell them as I also have a Meade 10" LX200 GPS with Superwedge, and a Celestron C-14 on a G-11 with non Gemini GoTo on a telescoping pier.
So many decisions.
LOL
Thanks again. You guys are GREAT!!!!!
Bernd

Pages: 1

Extra information
27 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 332

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics