Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
FlashGordan

Reged: 12/29/13

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: actionhac]
      #6341843 - 01/28/14 08:40 PM

Nice shade of red there. Just curious, how much would I be ridiculed if I decide to change the color of the tube? I'm thinking gloss black with white lettering.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
      #6341881 - 01/28/14 09:01 PM

Robert, were you thinking of Earle Scheib? They painted my dad's 53 Chevy when I was a kid. It had been black (original paint) and he was tired of the color. He took it in, the car was probably 10 years old, he picked out a blue and when he got it back it was this god-awful turquoise color. He took it home and he was so p.o.'d. Me and my mom had to clean the paint off the tires, chrome, etc. from the overspray with rags and paint thinner while he raved and drank beer! It was kind of comical in retrospect.

I hated that car. I learned to drive in it. It had a 3 speed, column shift transmission, no power steering, and no power brakes. My dad had zero patience in teaching, had been in the Navy and swore like a sailor. It was an experience to say the least. The thing drove like a Mack truck!

Earle Scheib, used to advertise on TV, "I'll paint any car for $29.95.

actionhac
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/09/08

Loc: Seattle
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: terraclarke]
      #6341906 - 01/28/14 09:17 PM

Yes thats it Terra. A friend of mine had his VW bug painted yellow and like you said all the trim, hubcaps rubber moldings everything was painted. I think even the lights were painted if I remember correctly. Fortunately though the VW Beetle is probably the only car in the world a paint job like that is acceptable, my friend didn't care he thought it was groovy.
I miss my bug and I miss burning converse all-stars in the morning. Your feet would burn while your face was frozen and the windshield was totally fogged up, but I loved that car.

Rob black would be awesome. I don't see why not since you need to paint it anyway. White letters?

Robert

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
      #6341932 - 01/28/14 09:33 PM

Gosh Robert, you are right, there was even paint on the headlights! It was everywhere. My dad was fit to be tied! And those old VW bugs were cool. I never had one but I had several friends that had them back in the day, so I rode in them and periodically drove them too. My dad used to say they were powered by a rubberband.

Rob, I like the black idea too. I'm building a 6 inch F10 this summer and I plan on having a rolled and riveted seamed sheet metal tube made for it at a local HVAC place and then painting the tube gloss black (flat black inside of course).

Terra

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: FlashGordan]
      #6341965 - 01/28/14 09:55 PM

Rob, you might consider the Rustoleum Vintage White like I did on my RV-6. Looks really great.

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6342121 - 01/28/14 11:38 PM

When it comes time to strip the paint, buy a bag of wood shavings. They sell them for hamster bedding. Not sawdust.
Let the stripper soak in, then grab some shavings with a rubber glove, wet them with solvent and scrub off the paint. Just discard it when it gets sodden and grab another handful.
a Rag wet with solvent wipes off the remaining softened paint and any stuck on bits of wood shavings leaving it nice and clean. less damage than scraping. maybe overkill for fiberglass.

FlashGordan

#6343891 - 01/29/14 06:35 PM

Quote:

Rob black would be awesome. I don't see why not since you need to paint it anyway. White letters?

Robert

I need to paint it eventually. There are chips and small cracks in the tube. Every RV-6 that I've seen pretty much has been painted white except for your red. I'm just wondering what black would look like, and if I would be maimed and/or killed for my sacrilege.

FlashGordan

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: terraclarke]
      #6343899 - 01/29/14 06:38 PM

Quote:

Rob, I like the black idea too. I'm building a 6 inch F10 this summer and I plan on having a rolled and riveted seamed sheet metal tube made for it at a local HVAC place and then painting the tube gloss black (flat black inside of course).

Terra

I can't wait to see the build thread on this one Terra. What are the other specs on this scope?

numchuck

Reged: 11/10/13

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
      #6345238 - 01/30/14 01:58 PM

I've got one of these fine scopes, too. My mirrors are visiting Majestic, right now, but should be back soon. I'm wanting to spruce up the paint; but I thought some trim rings might dress it up even more. Do any of you know where I might find some to fit? My scope will be 36 years old this summer ! P.S. I'm trying a gray color paint from PlastiDip - hoping it won't show my finger prints so much

Edited by numchuck (01/30/14 02:05 PM)

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: numchuck]
      #6345302 - 01/30/14 02:28 PM

Quote:

I've got one of these fine scopes, too. My mirrors are visiting Majestic, right now, but should be back soon. I'm wanting to spruce up the paint; but I thought some trim rings might dress it up even more. Do any of you know where I might find some to fit? My scope will be 36 years old this summer ! P.S. I'm trying a gray color paint from PlastiDip - hoping it won't show my finger prints so much

The tube ending trim I got was called Car Door Trim from Autozone. It's a black vinyl. It works very well and looks nice.

numchuck

Re: Another RV-6 restoration [Re: youngamateur42]
      #6345332 - 01/30/14 02:45 PM

that's a great idea - thank you Justin

actionhac
Post Laureate

#6347931 - 01/31/14 07:37 PM

Anyone have any idea what the markings on the mirror mean?
Here are a few examples:

Mirror #1 motor date 2-74
50.2 (on back)
Null figure (on back) (Null is a circle with a line through it)
1.MM (on back)
CMCO (on back) (Criterion Manufacturing Co.)

Mirror #2 motor date 1-75
50.250 (on edge)
+.5 (back)
CM (back)

Mirror #3 motor date 7-79
1065 (scribed on back)
Null figure (on back felt pen)

Mirror #4 motor date unknown
50.025 (on edge)
+.050 (back)
CM (scribed back)

50.xxx is focal length. CM and CMCO is Criterion.
What is Null, +.xx, 1065, 1.MM, anyone know?

Robert

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6348092 - 01/31/14 09:20 PM

I checked the back of mine and it only has the focal length - '50"' and nothing else. I think DavidG knows what the +.xx marks are - something to do with the deviation from f/8 or maybe? I remember someone posting about those RV-6 mirror markings a while ago, but can't find the thread...

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Datapanic]
      #6348121 - 01/31/14 09:42 PM

Mine has 50" as well scribed into the mirror, no other markings I could find.

Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/09

Loc: Clayton, NC
      #6348191 - 01/31/14 10:27 PM

Quote:

I'm wanting to spruce up the paint; but I thought some trim rings might dress it up even more. Do any of you know where I might find some to fit?

Why not make them???

Here's an idea for some inexpensive tube rings I made for mine. They were extremely easy to make and are completely reversible to go back to original. Check out the 4th page. Great scopes by the way.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4488240/page...

FlashGordan

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Compressorguy]
      #6349035 - 02/01/14 12:16 PM

I now understand why the legs came with black wrinkle paint. It's to cover up all the casting flash and machining imperfections! I started stripping the paint and these legs are a complete mess. I'm going to try to smooth everything for paint but how much material can I sand away and still retain the strength?

numchuck

#6349389 - 02/01/14 03:16 PM

Scott, your scope looks better than new. My mirrors came back 2 days ago; and I'm anxious to just put everything together so that I can observe again; but seeing your work makes me feel that I should spend some extra effort.

actionhac
Post Laureate

#6349428 - 02/01/14 03:38 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

Scott does beautiful work. I especially like his tube repair technique in that thread.
Rob the wrinkle black can sure hide manufacturing marks and etc. I think most are unpainted. I would be tempted to fill the imperfections rather than remove a lot of metal.
I overhauled my focuser today. Very nice unit, cast iron and brass, precision and square to the tube.
I was lucky I could remove the red paint from the focuser without attacking the wrinkle black. I even have red on my diagonal mirror! Earle!

Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6354382 - 02/03/14 09:29 PM

Quote:

Scott does beautiful work. I especially like his tube repair technique in that thread.
Rob the wrinkle black can sure hide manufacturing marks and etc. I think most are unpainted. I would be tempted to fill the imperfections rather than remove a lot of metal.
I overhauled my focuser today. Very nice unit, cast iron and brass, precision and square to the tube.
I was lucky I could remove the red paint from the focuser without attacking the wrinkle black. I even have red on my diagonal mirror! Earle!

The RV-6 focusers are nice, but I wonder why they used cast iron? They're kind of heavy!

actionhac
Post Laureate

Re: Another RV-6 restoration new [Re: Datapanic]
      #6354471 - 02/03/14 10:11 PM

Its heavy but it does tend to counterbalance the tube with the mounting rings close to the middle which is nice.
The focuser is great I like it. It reminds me of the 40's technology rather than 1959 when the RV-6 was introduced.
The Dynascopes used something very close looking, not sure if it was cast iron.
I don't see how the RV-6 focuser could ever wear out I don't think it would be possible.

Robert

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2355

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics