Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Dr Morbius
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/06/07

Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long
Re: Meade 447 Circa 1978 [Re: mooNSpy250]
      #6345648 - 01/30/14 05:24 PM

Yup, still looking for a 10" to 15" Clark refractor that some college is going to scrap - you know there still are barn find Duesenbergs and Packards out there!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
p jaeger

Reged: 01/13/14

Re: Why do we like classics?? new [Re: mooNSpy250]
      #6346527 - 01/31/14 05:34 AM

Because they are old, withstood the test of time, their design and performance. They never fail to impress and gain ones respect. In the case of my Criterion RV-6, it has the ingredients of a classic. From its ruggedness and simplicity of design to its precision setting circles and clockdrive (which btw still functions 40 years later). It never failed to perform. The range of materials used to produce the scope also demonstrates the thought that went into making it: cast aluminum, galvanized steel, machined steel and brass, Bakelite, and Pyrex. The pier and mount sat outside in both blistering 90-100+ heat and cold rain drenched winters for years covered by a canvas US mail bag. Both the scope and eyepieces survived being pointed at the sun and projecting its image during eclipses. Optics so good that some people asked to look down the tube to prove that I did not have a model or picture of Saturn hanging inside of it -LOL! At a cost of $215 in 1974, it could not be beat and it is still operational as I type. One of my nephews will probably inherit it.

rcwolpert
sage

Reged: 08/13/12

Loc: San Jose, CA
Re: Why do we like classics?? new [Re: p jaeger]
      #6348147 - 01/31/14 09:58 PM

I miss my 1964 RV-6. I wish I never gave it away. Thanks for the description. Right on point.

- Bob

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: Why do we like classics?? new [Re: rcwolpert]
      #6350917 - 02/02/14 10:48 AM

Here is why I have an interest in classic scopes.

For me, it is not so much about the scopes but what those scopes represent. It is in large part about the cliched longing for a perceived simpler time, at least in amateur astronomy, that I did not get the chance to participate in. There were fewer options back then, so the siren song of constantly getting new/better stuff was quite a bit muted compared to now. People were more content with what they had and observed more intimately with it, it seems to me.

I'm highly romanticising here, but it seems in that age people were more involved with the object they were observing than the equipment being used to observe. Nowadays, it is all too easy to have the observing "aids" (gotos, DSCs, iPads, SkyFi, etc, computer charts...even Mallincams) automate oneself right out of the hobby.

Also, during that era, the sense of the unknown at large scales was still present on objects readily accessible to the amateur. Even as late as the mid-1950s, respected amateurs were still writing about the possibility of vegetation on the Moon.

My interest in classic scopes has actually intensified in the last few years for a curious reason. As I approach 40 (eee gads!) I realize I'm no longer in my twenties when I worked all the time. I need boundaries now between my work life and my hobbies or else I will burn out. As my work involves the highly intricate nature of computers, I'm seeking to make my hobbies less electrically-oriented. So, I think my recent searching for a 60mm refractor of that era is in part of my desire to connect with a time in which we didn't have IC circuits in every nearby physical object!

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Why do we like classics?? new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6351298 - 02/02/14 02:00 PM

Quote:

For me, it is not so much about the scopes but what those scopes represent. It is in large part about the cliched longing for a perceived simpler time, at least in amateur astronomy, that I did not get the chance to participate in. There were fewer options back then, so the siren song of constantly getting new/better stuff was quite a bit muted compared to now. People were more content with what they had and observed more intimately with it, it seems to me.

+1; spot-on!

My brother's master's thesis was about a leisure theorist (there are such folks!) who said that Americans used to be happy with being and doing, but had come to believe they would be happy with having. They thus worked all the time to become able to buy things, only to find that they tired themselves too much to enjoy using what they had bought.

A better image is a laudable goal, and a few scopes of different types may be necessary to see all the sights, but using whatever decent scopes one has is surely more realistic and rewarding that worrying forever about lacking the latest in an ever-evolving marketplace.

Geo31
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Why do we like classics?? new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #6352092 - 02/02/14 09:29 PM

Speaking only for me, it's not about simpler times, but simple, basic, instruments. Easy to use. No training wheels. If one has the knowledge, one can go anywhere in the sky, find almost anything with a basic scope and a finder.

I like simple, but well engineered and executed. THAT is what I like about classic scopes.

Ziggy943
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/11/06

Loc: Utah
Re: Meade 447 Circa 1978 new [Re: Dr Morbius]
      #6352173 - 02/02/14 10:17 PM

Worked for me.

TexasSky

Reged: 05/03/12

Re: Why do we like classics?? new [Re: Geo31]
      #6352217 - 02/02/14 10:42 PM

This might be obvious.....but a lot of the enjoyment I get is just in the hunt for them.....they are well built beauties.....and are in a way like classic cars, "not built like they used to be".......classic looks and materials....like chrome on a vintage beauty........we all know modern scopes in most cases are better optical performers....same as a modern car is a better driving vehicle.....but they don't turn heads and have the same admiration as a classic......and just offer a different type of satisfaction in ther use......
Bob

Geo31
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/28/13

Loc: Kingwood, TX
Re: Why do we like classics?? new [Re: TexasSky]
      #6352228 - 02/02/14 10:49 PM

Uh oh.... Not that I (or others) disagree with you, but it seems cars are verboten on this forum (despite the obvious parallels).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 986

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics