Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
De Lorme
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/30/08

Light Pollution FIx
      #6345836 - 01/30/14 07:13 PM

Hi, If you look in the Video & Electronics forum under "Making a Image Intensifier for under $200, you will see a picture{page 3}of M42 taken by Furmo. At the moment
I can't remember the city in England where he lives but he
say's the Light Pollution is pretty bad. Now just look at the picture. My 8079HP intensifier is on It's way and I strongly suggest everybody here purchase one from Starlight.
There is just to much money involved for the powers that be
to listen to us. At $200 for a intensifier and eyepiece{coupled to intensifier}this is a solution that can be implemented now. Just block off the light where your using
your scope. De Lorme

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: Light Pollution FIx new [Re: De Lorme]
      #6352153 - 02/02/14 10:09 PM

I see there's over a 100 views but no reply, why?
I can understand the hesitation to make the investment.
Take another look at Furmos M42 picture again. Than take a
look at David's web sit. http://imageintensifier.blogspot.co.uk/
I thought about this for awhile and keep looking at the pictures and thinking of the possibilities.
I thought what will happen if I don't do anything{kept looking at the pictures}and what is reasonable to be expected. To me this is good step in solving the light pollution and aperture{cure LOL}for the equivalent of 2 ES
eyepieces which won't do nothing about either.
So I sold some nice filters which set in my case most of the time and bought the 8079HP. I have no regrets. De Lorme

cuivienor
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/07/10

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
      #6352485 - 02/03/14 02:56 AM

Well I am very interested in this - I see incredible potential when coupled with a narrowband H-alpha filter. But the DIY aspect is beyond me, getting the needed components in japan will be tough, and commercial alternatives are crazily expensive (3,000 USD and more).

Actually to be honest, I would gladly dish out money to someone who could do it for me at a reasonable price and ship to Japan. So I will be following that very closely.

I have an ultra-portable 6 inch dob that folds down to a size where it can be put on a bookshelf. I can only imagine how awesome an eyepiece like that coupled with a Narrowband Filter would be. Seeing the Horse Nebula from Central Tokyo??? Would be so awesome. I have seen the horse nebula through my DSI IIIc in Tokyo. But I have never seen it with my eyes. Seeing it with my own eyes... just the thought of it makes me want to cry (I'm serious).

So YES I really would love to do that. But (hint hint) someone could make quite some back by making such DIY versions and selling them for a couple hundred bucks more than what they cost. I'll be waiting in line for that!

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: Light Pollution FIx new [Re: cuivienor]
      #6352569 - 02/03/14 05:17 AM

starlightnv@zen.co.uk
cuivienor, Starlight{the above link}says they will ship world wide. There really not that hard to put together.
Take a look at this website{imageintensifier.blogspot.co.uk/}and "Making a image intensifier for under $200" under the Video & Electronics
forum here on CN. De Lorme

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #6352996 - 02/03/14 11:02 AM

For those that have no skills that are needed for this project, it would indeed be very difficult for them to put one of these together, sucessfully. I know I would not be able to do this project.

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: Light Pollution FIx new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6354283 - 02/03/14 08:50 PM

Carol, If I can do it you can do it LOL.
What Furmo did for the eyepiece is cut off the end of an eyepiece cap and glue that to the viewing screen. For the imaging side I'm going to use a cap that will cover the whole intensifier and then cut a 1.25 hole in the middle of the cap. Next I will put a 1.25"OD tube that will go over the nose of the imager and extend pass the cap about 1 1/8"
which will be inserted into the diagonal. The tube will be
glued to the cap on the inside and outside. To strengthen
the tube so it won't flex I'll put a large plastic washer
around the tube on the inside and glue it to the tube and the cap. The cap will slide over the intensifier and be taped into place. I plan on taking pictures and putting them here and on the Video & Electronics forum under "Making an image intensifier for under $200".
of the imaging screen. De Lorme

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6365300 - 02/09/14 01:26 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

The first picture is taken through 8079Hp with a loupe.
The second picture is taken through the 8079HP also but with PVS-2 eyepiece. Isn't really great!
I got these off AR15.com{making an image intensifier page 15}.

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6365302 - 02/09/14 01:28 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

Here's the second one. Really amazing what the right eyepiece can do. De Lorme

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6365308 - 02/09/14 01:31 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

The next two pictures show the PVS-2 about to be inserted and then inserted. De Lorme

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6365312 - 02/09/14 01:33 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Here's the second one. BTW I got these off AR15{making a image intensifier page 9} also. De Lorme

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6365320 - 02/09/14 01:41 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

Hi Everybody, From what I could figure the 8079HP will way around 45.7oz. So I made up a 45.7oz weight to test on my CGEM to see if the mount would move{when installing the intensifier} when having it balanced to my ES 24mm 68degrees. Well{rather nerves} I slew the CR6" rather high then took out the 24mm and put in the 8079hp. I did not move! I put it in and out several times. No movement in DEC!
So I balanced the mount with the 45.7oz weight and slewed rather high and took it out put the 24mm in. No movement in
DEC when taking out the weight and putting in the 24mm. I haven't tried this with the additional weight the PVS-2 would bring. I don't see a problem though. The 2 pictures show my crude weight so you can get an idea of what it looks
like. This to me is the solution for DSO in a light polluted
sky and even better at a dark site. The best is yet to come.
De Lorme

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6365322 - 02/09/14 01:42 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

The second picture. De Lorme

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6401210 - 02/28/14 02:01 AM

Hi Everybody, Please go take a look at cncot pictures on
"making a image intensifier for under $200", it's under the
Video and Electronis for astronomy forum. It's worth a look.
Just think of the potential. De Lorme

De Lorme
professor emeritus

#6401213 - 02/28/14 02:04 AM

Sorry, Page 8

De Lorme
professor emeritus

It's good to reconsider new [Re: De Lorme]
      #6406660 - 03/02/14 10:23 PM

Hi, I'm only asking you to look not change your mind.
So take a look at the 2 links below{by David & JD Bastro's} and the pictures by,Cncot Furmo and Highfnum on "making a image intensifier for under $200" under the Video and Electronics for astronomy forum. This is the solution in a light polluted sky. De Lorme
http://imageintensifier.blogspot.co.uk/
jdbastro's youtube channel

Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
Re: It's good to reconsider new [Re: De Lorme]
      #6421915 - 03/22/14 10:21 AM

I can attest to IIE + 7nm H-Alpha results.

Full moon, white zone, full M42 nebulosity to far side of region. AT72ED
4:00 am breathtaking views of Lagoon, Triffid, Omega, Eagle.

PVS 7c goggle, gen 3, Baader H-Alpha 7nm, Parks 2x Barlow, ES 5x Focal Extender, Zhumell 25lb capacity photo tripod and of course - AT72ED

More detail than I've ever seen before. Waiting for some darker skies and mak 150 tryouts on my summer 4 favorites.

Mak 150 tried on M42. Could not fit all of the nebula in the FOV. High level of detail. I've never seen this object like that in any scope. 3/4 moon that night, white zone.

Best eyepiece purchase I've made yet. Being filtered that heavy and combining with longer focal lengths does have some scintillation and noise, but not where the nebula is bright. Very tolerable. Also the green under the same conditions, is very mild colored.

Not everything looks better though. Still like regular eyepieces on a few objects. IIE won't do planetary or lunar. Good to have both if you don't have dark skies or a big scope. Backyard observing just got that much better. If you do have dark skies and a big scope, you might just have to be seated while observing with an IIE - I bet the views would make the knees weak.

I definitely still want to see a drastic reduction in light pollution, but while I'm waiting for that to happen and spreading the message by offering views through regular eyepieces in those conditions, I'm not going to miss out on detail. Neighbors have caught on for the most part and frequently leave outdoor lights off. Maintenance guy explained one night that one of the lights had to remain on for safety. I then had him take a peek through the scope and the he was impressed. The next night the light was off.

Sometimes people get reasonable after a viewing session.

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: It's good to reconsider new [Re: Vondragonnoggin]
      #6422587 - 03/22/14 02:23 PM

Vondragonnoggin, Do you Remember Rod Stuart's song "Every Picture Tells a Story"? Well I think this is most applicable.LOL Isn't this just GREAT!. De Lorme

Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
Re: It's good to reconsider new [Re: De Lorme]
      #6424055 - 03/23/14 02:11 AM

Yes, definitely great. Tonight I gave 5 of my neighbors some views of the Orion Nebula they'll never forget. I brought the view to them with a photo tripod carrying my AT72ED and my PVS 7c. Carried it one hand to one of their houses and they all came over for a look. Audible sounds of amazement coming from all of them. They will definitely keep lights off unless absolutely needed. Really fun to share the views.

TCW
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/05/13

Re: It's good to reconsider new [Re: Vondragonnoggin]
      #6425717 - 03/24/14 12:13 AM

Bravo! Some of the main posters on the Light Pollution forums that will remain nameless sneer at the idea of converting your neighbors by showing them the wonders of the universe. I think it is best way and possibly the only way!

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Re: It's good to reconsider new [Re: TCW]
      #6425782 - 03/24/14 01:26 AM

Way to go Vondragonnoggin! They won't forget that anytime soon! I bet within a month you'll be signing some of them up to CloudyNights and be mentoring them.
I feel a "isn't this great" coming on! LOL De Lorme

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1054

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics