Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
rockriver

Reged: 11/21/11

Loc: Magnolia, Texas
Re: Cloudy Nights winter knit cap [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #6346034 - 01/30/14 09:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I learned to call them "watch" caps in the Air Force.

My father was Navy, and I grew up calling them watch caps as well.

I was in the Navy,too, and we called them watch caps. More importantly, Michael Parks wore one in Then Came Bronson.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8gb8lSytN1qe90ht.jpg

Edited by rockriver (02/02/14 03:02 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Anthony
sage

Reged: 04/27/13

Re: Cloudy Nights winter knit cap new [Re: rockriver]
      #6346585 - 01/31/14 07:13 AM

"I hope PETA doesn't come after me"

Ah yes, PETA, "peole eating tasty animals".

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: Cloudy Nights winter knit cap new [Re: rockriver]
      #6346980 - 01/31/14 11:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I learned to call them "watch" caps in the Air Force.

My father was Navy, and I grew up calling them watch caps as well.

I was in the Navy,too, and we called them watch caps. More importantly, Michael Parks wore one in Then Came Bronson.

I loved that show when I was a kid, and swore that one day I would own a Harley Davidson motorcycle. It only took me 38 more years to get one. FWIW, I wear my watch cap when riding in cooler weather on the rare occasion that I don't wear a helmet.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Cloudy Nights winter knit cap new [Re: John Brooks]
      #6347152 - 01/31/14 12:35 PM

Why aren't these Cloudynights knit hats available anymore? I'd be happy to fly the flag.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Cloudy Nights winter knit cap new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #6347159 - 01/31/14 12:39 PM

Quote:

I loved that show when I was a kid, and swore that one day I would own a Harley Davidson motorcycle. It only took me 38 more years to get one. FWIW, I wear my watch cap when riding in cooler weather on the rare occasion that I don't wear a helmet.

Good for you! Helmet laws s... well, you know.

Doug Culbertson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/06/05

Re: Cloudy Nights winter knit cap new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #6347178 - 01/31/14 12:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I know. I am a firm believer in letting those who ride decide. Having said that, I live near the GA border, so I do a lot of riding there. They have a mandatory helmet law, so I end up wearing one most of the time. Also, my wife won't ride with me if I don't wear one, and I enjoy her company.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Cloudy Nights winter knit cap new [Re: Doug Culbertson]
      #6347386 - 01/31/14 02:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I know. I am a firm believer in letting those who ride decide. Having said that, I live near the GA border, so I do a lot of riding there. They have a mandatory helmet law, so I end up wearing one most of the time. Also, my wife won't ride with me if I don't wear one, and I enjoy her company.

LOL. Harley guys.
My background was high-powered racing bikes. Not only would I not even consider riding a motorcycle without a full face guard and closed visor, but I also wore full leathers when I rode. Transitioned from that to 4 wheels with a roll-cage, but still used a full-face helmet.
Two completely different approaches to riding.
Cracks me up.
We have a place out here in CA where tons of bikers congregate on the weekends. The "rocket bikers" cluster around and talk about cornering techniques and the speed on such and such a track. The Harley guys stand around and talk about where you can get triple chrome plating and the best polish to use on paint.

Reminds me of the small refractor/big dob dichotomy in amateur astronomy.
One group talks about the purity of the planet images in such and such an ortho eyepiece, while the other group talks about HII regions in the spiral arms of NGC6946 and where to go for the darkest skies.

Life is amusing.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Cloudy Nights winter knit cap new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #6347460 - 01/31/14 03:42 PM

Quote:

Why aren't these Cloudynights knit hats available anymore? I'd be happy to fly the flag.

You'll have to contact Astronomics; as that's where they came from.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Cloudy Nights winter knit cap new [Re: Starman1]
      #6347779 - 01/31/14 06:11 PM

Quote:

LOL. Harley guys.
My background was high-powered racing bikes. Not only would I not even consider riding a motorcycle without a full face guard and closed visor, but I also wore full leathers when I rode. Transitioned from that to 4 wheels with a roll-cage, but still used a full-face helmet.
Two completely different approaches to riding.
Cracks me up.

Ditto, though not "high horsepower". Current road-racer is a 36rwhp OSSA, weight 190lbs wet. Always fun to leave the 4-strokes behind in a blue haze.

I look at road-riders as falling into 2 camps: Those that have been down the road, and those that are yet to go down the road. The latter are often readily identified as not wearing:
1) Helmet
2) Gloves
3) Boots

Looks like a great cap. I grew up calling them watch caps too. Don't get acrylic, it doesn't work. Wool is best, but polyfleece under-helmet caps work as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1447

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics