Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Telescopic

Reged: 11/29/13

Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6336025 - 01/26/14 04:34 AM

Quote:

Grossly unlikely but there's other things too and it wasn't that long ago a CN member actually imaged an impact on Jupiter reminiscent of shoemaker-Levy but on a fraction of .the scale .

I just looked it up and there were at least two in the last few years!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: Telescopic]
      #6336355 - 01/26/14 10:42 AM

David,

That's a very humorous account -and satisfying that your work was preserved in being published like that. The clerks misinterpretation was funny though ! It would make sense yours was a morning object and mine an evening thing. A particular bother I didn't appreciate was nosy passerbys as I could not see this part of the horizon from my home so I was out and about town in the country. One priest brought train of altar boys that ended up taking so long to look that best night view was a few minutes for me. Another person wanted to kno my life story and ended with in no uncertain terms "well OK - Im just checking you out" and there was no flirtatious manner or levity in her voice. It was still dusk out so the guy with the long white tube telescope drew attention. It was worth it but I realized I am no sidewalk astronomer at all! If ever you find the pics Id love to see it Dave .

Tel, yes I was surprised to learn they do occur on Jupiter . I wonder if prior to Shoemaker-Levy9 the transient spots of cometary (or other) impacts was just written off as a barge or anonymous storm spot.

Pete

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
      #6340715 - 01/28/14 11:15 AM

I watched it religiously with a AP 6" F12 Super Planetary over and over and over. Its what got me hooked on owning an APO because of all the details that particular scope was showing, which others could not.

..Ralph

David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
      #6341382 - 01/28/14 04:16 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Quote:

If ever you find the pics Id love to see it Dave .

Pete:

Finally found the book after searches at my sister's and her two daughter's respective housholds!

Attached is a compilation of some croppped/re-arranged scans.

Cheers,
Dave.

SabiaJD
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/20/05

Loc: Clarks Summit, PA
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: David Gray]
      #6341865 - 01/28/14 08:54 PM

Was fortunate to have some clear skies to view the "L" and "G" impact scars on Jupiter with the 9.5" f/15 Clark refractor scope.

Started viewing in twilight skies on July 17, 1994 UT. My drawings show a dark spot and bow shape of both "L" and "G".

This was also seen by other observer with me that night. Very good seeing conditions.

I setup to image Jupiter with my Nikon F2 using eyepiece projection on color slide film. Does not do justice to the view in the eyepiece.

http://lackawannaastronomicalsociety.org/LAS/wp-content/gallery/john-sabia/jd...

After reviewing my log and photo log books, I discovered this photo date is WRONG. This was taken on July 20, 1994 UT.
Timing of "L"
Preceeding 0:37
Middle 0:51
Following 1:15

John D Sabia

Edited by SabiaJD (01/29/14 09:46 PM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: SabiaJD]
      #6342106 - 01/28/14 11:29 PM

David,

Thanks for finding and posting - I had no idea the darkness from the impacts lasted as long as it had! Back then my backyard was horrible for ecliptic views and sessions were a lot fewer and farther between and only very high in that path (like Gemini) offered partial if brief views from that locale .

Thanks for the posting - very well recorded!

Pete

ADW

Reged: 07/26/13

Loc: Penticton, BC, Canada
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6342958 - 01/29/14 12:05 PM

Quote:

The Meade 826 was the workhorse of the day, and a fabulous telescope. I still have mine, and it's still in pretty new condition. I believe it's the best of all my telescopes.

Yes, my Meade 826 is still in use and is a better quality scope than my 16-inch Meade.

To answer the original question: Yes, I saw one of the impact fireballs rise up from the impact site which was just behind the limb.

Like the rest of you, I had been marveling at the impact scars for several days, eventually seeing prominent black oval G, brown H, brown K, black L, black E, and Q1.

I also knew that fortuitously-placed Australian observers had seen the fireball from huge fragment G.

North Americans were poorly placed, but those of us in the west had a chance at seeing the fireball from mid-sized fragment R on the evening of July 20, 1994. At longitude 123W I was better-placed than most. But because of my latitude of 54N Jupiter was poorly-placed, only at an altitude of 15 degrees in the southwest at sunset.

I saw Jupiter easily with the unaided eye at 2127 PDT, two minutes before sunset. Sky transparency was excellent immediately behind a cold front, but the seeing was very poor for the same reason.

I used the 8-inch on its Dob mount at 116x with a light blue filter. The seeing was atrocious at Jupiter's low altitude, sometimes with "flames" running around the edge of the disk. I thought that the fireball would have to be long-lived to positively identify it. The brown spot from the impact of fragment K was obvious, and I got one glimpse of Europa's shadow.

From my logbook: "Forecast impact times for fragment R were 2241 PDT (July S&T), 2259 (Aug S&T), 2226 (Skyline three days ago), 2236 (Skyline two days ago), and finally 2217 (Skyline today). Started observing carefully at 2207; got clouded out at 2216 when an altocumulus cloud grew in place to four times the area, decided against moving as it was a high and distant cloud; and remained clouded out until 2229; thought that I might have seen a flare of light at the correct spot, the southeastern limb, at 2231, but the seeing was so bad and the flare so brief (about 2 seconds) that I would have to learn that the impact was actually at 2231 to think that I might have seen it; and watched from then until 2255, battling hordes of mosquitoes."

Months later I read in Sky&Telescope that the impact of Fragment R had been seen from Hawaii (under far better observing conditions) at the same time that I saw it (within the accuracy of my timing because I did not look at my watch immediately).

It was a strange observation, because it wasn't until months later that I actually knew that I had really seen the impact fireball!

Surely many of you also the 2009 impact scar discovered by Australian Anthony Wesley on July 19, 2009. I was in China for the total eclipse at that time, but the impact scar was still visible after I returned, on August 9th, as an elongated (E-W) darker smudge in the SPR, again with my venerable 8-inch.

Best,

Alan Whitman

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: ADW]
      #6343396 - 01/29/14 03:25 PM

I videotaped the impact scars on several nights with an old, huge VHS video camera attached to a 10" Dob, guiding by hand. The impacts are very obvious in the video. I've grabbed some frames but the raster lines make the single frames much less sharp than the video. One of these days I'll convert it to a digital file.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6344296 - 01/29/14 11:20 PM

Alan how'd the fireball look? Did it seem starlike in brightness or the intensity of jupiter itself. That's one for the books. I enjoyed the impact scars but to have seen the fireball - wow. How long did the one you see last?

Pete

ADW

Reged: 07/26/13

Loc: Penticton, BC, Canada
      #6344482 - 01/30/14 02:37 AM

Quote:

Alan how'd the fireball look? Did it seem starlike in brightness or the intensity of jupiter itself. That's one for the books. I enjoyed the impact scars but to have seen the fireball - wow. How long did the one you see last?

Pete

Hi Pete,

The fireball from Fragment R only lasted about two seconds in visible light. The professionals saw a longer event in infrared light (as I recall -- it would take me a long time to find the relevant issue of S&T to look at the record.)

As I said, the seeing was very poor. The fireball from mid-sized Fragment R was probably comparable to the brightness of Europa when it is right on Jupiter's limb. But I <think> that it was a warmer colour than Europa.

When I went to Australia seven years later I got the impression from talking to amateurs there that the fireball from big Fragment G that they saw rise up above the limb (from the impact site behind the limb) was much brighter and more impressive than the one that I saw.

Best,

Alan

John Brooks

Reged: 11/14/13

Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: ADW]
      #6345991 - 01/30/14 08:44 PM

I watched the fragments impact "live" via Dance of the Planets software on my old 486DX PC.
When it got dark I was out with my 10" SCT looking at the scars.
Fascinating.

John

Bakes

Reged: 01/06/09

Loc: Stratford, CT
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? [Re: Rutilus]
      #6346141 - 01/30/14 10:01 PM

I too had a Celestron C102 that easily displayed the impact scars on Jupiter for a few weeks. The actual impacts occurred on the far side of Jupiter. So we did not get to witness the actual collisions.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: Bakes]
      #6346275 - 01/30/14 11:11 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Howdy all;

Yet another viewer of the comet crash with a Meade 826 from a friend's backyard. Lots of see, it was amazing and still to this day provided the most obvious marking on any planet at any time.

Drawing below at 200X with G spot centered. There is a chapter in my book "Touching the Universe" about the entire viewing experience. It is about my favorite 20 nights with a telescope and this was certainly one of those.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6346661 - 01/31/14 08:13 AM

Steve, Ive got to check out your books. Sounds impressive!

Pete

paul m schofield

Reged: 05/23/10

Loc: Western North Carolina, USA
      #6347104 - 01/31/14 12:08 PM

I was living in South Florida at the time and our club, the South Florida Amateur Astronomers Association, held multiple public events at Fox Observatory in Markham Park on the western edge of Fort Lauderdale, located near the start of the Everglades. We couldn't see the actual impact because of the turn of the planet but we saw the incoming comet on previous nights like a string of pearls as it closed in on Jupiter. The night after the impact we had 50 to a 100 telescopes set up from small refractors to a 20" Dob. Over 1200 people from the city came out that night. The road into the park was clogged with cars and people were parking on the edge of the highway. I had my 6" Newtonian on a Starfinder mount tracking the planet. The night was clear, the seeing was excellent, and my scope was giving refractor-like images. The bigger Dobs and SCT's were showing even more. Every one of us had 20 to 30 people lined up to view this awesome event. It was an incredible happening and I'll never forget the oohs and aahs of the visiting public, most of whom had never looked through a telescope before. It was a great time and I was privileged to be there.

SteveInNZ

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: paul m schofield]
      #6347378 - 01/31/14 02:53 PM

That was an "I was there" event for me too.
I didn't see any impact flashes but I can still see the view as the scar of the first impact rotated around the limb like it was yesterday. That was a "Holy <bleep> !!" moment.
Very homemade 10" Newt and push driven eq mount.

siriusandthepup
sage

Reged: 02/14/06

Loc: Central Texas, USA
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: SteveInNZ]
      #6349659 - 02/01/14 05:44 PM

I was one of the lucky ones.

I viewed Jupiter in clear and fairly steady skies every night that week. Using a Jaegers 4" f/15 achro lens in a definitely homemade plywood Dob mount, powers of 165 and 200x were utilized. 165x was the preferred mag. Jupiter was well placed in the western skies at that time - not too low.

The show was stunning. Every night the preceding nights' spots morphed their shapes as the explosion damage spread. New spots appeared as the comet remnants successively impacted Jupiter's cloud tops that week. The spots were large in general - much bigger than transit shadows.

What image do I remember most? That is an easy answer: One night a fresh impactor (a large one) left a spot ringed 180 degrees by an expanding shock wave. That wave was on the order of 3+ earth diameters across - impressive!!

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/04

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: siriusandthepup]
      #6350289 - 02/01/14 11:42 PM

I also saw the impact dark areas with my 80mm F-15 Sears refractor at 133x, the night was warm , muggy and full of aggressive mosquitos , the areas were the darkest spots on the planet very easy to see.

DocFinance
sage

Reged: 01/14/14

Loc: Clear Lake, Texas
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: Tommy5]
      #6358475 - 02/05/14 08:18 PM

I didn't see the Hammer fall, any of them, but I had my orange C5 on an ultra-heavy Manfrotto photo tripod with a slow-mo control block, and I went out to see the scars for several days. It was quite the topic of conversation around the office, and I was the only one anyone knew with a telescope. There were great outside parties at the local kids' museum and other public parks.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Did anyone see Shoemaker-Levy 9 hit Jupiter? new [Re: DocFinance]
      #6365317 - 02/09/14 01:40 AM

My daughter was still a toddler then, and my (ex) wife was working nights. I put the kid to bed and watched SL-9 impact scars on Jupiter for a few weeks in the backyard, with the crib monitor running at my side!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1973

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics