Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
John59
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Round Rock,TX
Re: A good clear night. [Re: John59]
      #6346220 - 01/30/14 10:44 PM

Thank you everyone for the kind words and support!
This group is still the best!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BigDob Al

Reged: 12/31/13

Re: A good clear night. new [Re: John59]
      #6357552 - 02/05/14 12:04 PM

John59, you got some amazing captures . When I first saw them I thought they were coming from a much more expensive camera and scope . I looked at the vendor's website and I'm very tempted to pull the trigger . I could feel I'm actually just delaying the inevitable and will end up ordering one .
I was wondering how good of a mount do you estimate is needed for your camera? I've watched some great views on NSN from people with guiding mounts in fixed obs , that's not what I could afford right now. Your setup seems more like the portable stuff I had in mind . How deep could you go with short integration , say 10-30 sec? My main scope is a dob with alt/az tracking which isn't that great . Higher sensitivity shorter integration is what the doctor ordered for me.

Clear Skies,
Al

Relativist
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/11/03

Loc: OC, CA, USA
Re: A good clear night. new [Re: BigDob Al]
      #6357854 - 02/05/14 02:46 PM

Al, I'm new to video as well, but one thing I've learned by watching live video online is that f/ratio and especially focal length are very important to getting quick captures. A reducer can help a lot of course so you might want to consider that upfront. Every now and then I've seen people with big (20"+ dobs) broadcast successfully on alt/az mounts, so you'd be in good company.

John59
professor emeritus

Re: A good clear night. new [Re: BigDob Al]
      #6358791 - 02/06/14 12:00 AM

Quote:

John59, you got some amazing captures . When I first saw them I thought they were coming from a much more expensive camera and scope . I looked at the vendor's website and I'm very tempted to pull the trigger . I could feel I'm actually just delaying the inevitable and will end up ordering one .
I was wondering how good of a mount do you estimate is needed for your camera? I've watched some great views on NSN from people with guiding mounts in fixed obs , that's not what I could afford right now. Your setup seems more like the portable stuff I had in mind . How deep could you go with short integration , say 10-30 sec? My main scope is a dob with alt/az tracking which isn't that great . Higher sensitivity shorter integration is what the doctor ordered for me.

Clear Skies,
Al

Al,
Don't discount the alt/az dob.
I used video on my 12" goto dob with great results.
The current camera works great with my Celestron NexStar 8SE which is alt/az.
If you never intend to go AP or get a video camera that can do long exposure, then the alt/az is all you will ever need really need.

What you will run into is not being able to use focal reducers as most Dobs do not have enough in-focus travel without modifying the telescope.
Hence the refractor and SCT.

By the way the EQ mount is Orion's Sirius which has a 30 pound limit on telescope and is light enough to be portable.

John59
professor emeritus

Re: A good clear night. new [Re: Relativist]
      #6358801 - 02/06/14 12:05 AM

Quote:

Al, I'm new to video as well, but one thing I've learned by watching live video online is that f/ratio and especially focal length are very important to getting quick captures. A reducer can help a lot of course so you might want to consider that upfront. Every now and then I've seen people with big (20"+ dobs) broadcast successfully on alt/az mounts, so you'd be in good company.

This is very true. However for planetary work I have captured some great results with my 180mm MCT which is F15 and then using a 3X barlow at F45!.
I can get a lot of detail on a good transparent, stable and wind free night.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 841

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics