Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
jakecru

Reged: 04/10/13

102mm ES APO Refractor Imaging on Atlas or Sirius?
      #6347950 - 01/31/14 07:50 PM

I have just recently purchased an Explore Scientific ed102 Refractor Telescope(11 lbs) . I will be using it for astrophotography with a Canon EOS T3i (1.25 lbs). In the Future I will be adding a autoguider either the Orion Shortube 80mm guider package (4.5lbs) or an AT72ed with Orion Autoguider (around 7 total pounds). If I am calculating everything correct, the total setup should weigh 17-19.5 lbs. I like the price and the portability of the Orion Sirius EQ-G, but I am afraid it will not be able to track well enough with this weight for astrophotography. Could the Sirius EQ-G handle this weight, or should I spend some more $$ on an Atlas. Are there any other more affordable options that would go good with this setup? Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BenB85

Reged: 02/17/13

Loc: Colorado and Alaska USA
Re: 102mm ES APO Refractor Imaging on Atlas or Sirius? new [Re: jakecru]
      #6349999 - 02/01/14 08:46 PM

I would look for a used atlas, for $800-$900. I had an altas for the es127 and 80mm on a dual losmandy saddle and it worked great.

For not much more, you get alot more versatility.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
Re: 102mm ES APO Refractor Imaging on Atlas or Sirius? new [Re: BenB85]
      #6350779 - 02/02/14 09:19 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

I have used my ES 102mm APO exclusively with my Orion Sirius mount for imaging with no problems. No issues with weight (used my SX H18 w/filterwheel and OAG assembly). My guess is, the whole enchilada was about 16-17 pounds on the mount. Here is one of the images I did with the setup. I have the Atlas too but it has never been unboxed as of yet, the Sirius is very lightweight portable, which is important to me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 211

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics