Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: Skunky]
      #6284433 - 12/31/13 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can you use the APCC Pro's pointing model if you don't have absolute encoders?

Yes (if they ever ship it).

I think our sun will go supernova first before APCC ships.. Without APCC the encoders are effectively the exact same as a TDM.. (well there is no DEC TDM..)

That's odd, I'm using my 1600 with encoders and a T-Point model and it is doing far more things than a TDM can dream of doing. Does the TDM give arc second pointing? Does the TDM control your autoguiding, especially in DEC to eliminate backlash reversal issues? Does the TDM allow you to find home if your mount becomes lost? Can you set slew limits so you can protect your OTA around the meridian, or if you forget to turn your mount off?
I'm currently enjoying all of these benefits of my 1600, and look forward to more features once the beta testers are done with APCC.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Skunky
sage

Reged: 09/16/13

Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #6284504 - 12/31/13 10:19 PM

Yes. To most. No to backlash in dec.

I'll wake up in the spring and see if there has been any change.

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: Skunky]
      #6290299 - 01/03/14 07:04 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

I finally received the 42" ATS pier. My equipment is pretty much complete. With everything assembled, it looks a lot bigger than I expected but it's not too bad. I will have to make few more trips between inside of my house and my backyard than when I had Mach1GTO and C-8 EdgeHD. See pictures of my new equipment in "Peter's Gallery" in my signature, then click on "Current Equipment".

Because the weather in Reno, NV at night is still quite cold, I need one more item and that's 35ft USB active extension cable so I can control and monitor the equipment from inside the house. I had the cable but I gave it away while I was waiting for AP1100GTO and ATS pier to be built. I will probably use the new equipment tonight or tomorrow to calibrate RAPAS and test a few things outside for a few hours before it gets too cold.

I route all necessary cables through the mount. This is a very neat feature and makes the setup much cleaner looking. Because of through the mount cabling, I will have to carry the whole AP1100GTO mount minus the counterweight shaft and top plate/saddle and mount it on ATS pier. It's too messy to disconnect both halves of AP1100GTO because I will have to partially remove the cables from inside the mount before dissembling the mount.

Peter

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #6290608 - 01/03/14 10:19 PM

Nice looking rig Peter, hey heres a link to some of that USB cable if you need it, its good stuff, carried my video, camera control, guidescope control, and NX control, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040IASMS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF...
Kasey

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6290932 - 01/04/14 01:14 AM

Thanks for the link. I am glad this product works for you.

I already ordered an active USB extension that I know worked very well with my past similar astro equipment at 35 feet long from:

http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-36FTAB.html

It uses a Japan's built NEC chip that's supposed to work very well. It's similar to look for FTDI chip for USB-to-Serial adapter.

If this cable does not work well, I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks,
Peter

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: Jeff B]
      #6296375 - 01/06/14 04:34 PM

Update for me. OPT just called and said my mount will ship this week! Pictures and ohhhs! and ahhhhhs! to follow...

plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: Sunspot]
      #6296730 - 01/06/14 07:22 PM

Peter,
Very nice looking setup. That pier looks great - someday I'll get one!

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: plav1959]
      #6296782 - 01/06/14 07:49 PM

Thanks Paul. The ATS pier is surprisingly light at 34lbs for 42" height. It's actually about 44" tall if you include A-P Flat Surface Adapter with Flat Pier Plate (119FSA-FP). It's the right height for TEC 140 APO. If it was 6 inches shorter, the camera end of the scope could hit one of the legs when crossing the Meridian. Taller pier allows the focuser/camera to clear above the leg and the tube part of the pier. I've set up the focuser and camera positions in such a way that the scope/focuser/camera will clear the pier for the whole Southern sky and up to 3 degrees north of Zenith. In other words Meridian Flipping is not necessary for the whole Southern sky.

Peter

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #6298139 - 01/07/14 01:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks Paul. The ATS pier is surprisingly light at 34lbs for 42" height. It's actually about 44" tall if you include A-P Flat Surface Adapter with Flat Pier Plate (119FSA-FP). It's the right height for TEC 140 APO. If it was 6 inches shorter, the camera end of the scope could hit one of the legs when crossing the Meridian. Taller pier allows the focuser/camera to clear above the leg and the tube part of the pier. I've set up the focuser and camera positions in such a way that the scope/focuser/camera will clear the pier for the whole Southern sky and up to 3 degrees north of Zenith. In other words Meridian Flipping is not necessary for the whole Southern sky.

Peter

Sounds like a nice setup but at 34 pounds, some 12 pounds lighter than my old long gone 10" ATS, I hardly consider it light. I have to admit, they are definitely a solid pier in use, fold up relatively easily and are pretty easy to level. For a portable rig with an AP900/1100, there are not many choices available and ATS makes a pretty good (but not very light ) product.

plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #6298204 - 01/07/14 02:17 PM

Well I'm currently using a modified Meade Giant Field tripod with my 1100. 34 pounds would certainly feel light to me!

frobi6852

Reged: 07/11/11

Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: jblockyou]
      #6313671 - 01/15/14 04:19 AM

First my delivery was scheduled for December then late January, Now it is scheduled for sometime in February because "production is behind schedule" from what I'm told. Getting on the notification list 3 months in advance and paying my deposit on Aug 28 didn't help me at all. It was my understanding that those on their notification lists got first pick when their equipment went into production. Anyone else get a an email saying that production is behind schedule?

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: frobi6852]
      #6313708 - 01/15/14 05:45 AM

Quote:

First my delivery was scheduled for December then late January, Now it is scheduled for sometime in February because "production is behind schedule" from what I'm told. Getting on the notification list 3 months in advance and paying my deposit on Aug 28 didn't help me at all. It was my understanding that those on their notification lists got first pick when their equipment went into production. Anyone else get a an email saying that production is behind schedule?

I learned a long time ago to add a couple of months to the expected shipping date. Usually works out about right.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #6313827 - 01/15/14 08:07 AM

Hang in there. Back in late November, I was led to believe my AP1100 would not ship until late January or possibly February, then it arrived the week before Christmas. It was an awesome surprise. I really think the AP staff tries to lower expectations on delivery times when you call to inquire so they do not paint themselves into a corner so to speak.

I know it is a killer to wait, but when those boxes show up you will be very, very happy. Hope to hear good news from you soon!

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? new [Re: nemo129]
      #6314276 - 01/15/14 12:30 PM

Quote:

Hang in there. Back in late November, I was led to believe my AP1100 would not ship until late January or possibly February, then it arrived the week before Christmas. It was an awesome surprise. I really think the AP staff tries to lower expectations on delivery times when you call to inquire so they do not paint themselves into a corner so to speak.

I know it is a killer to wait, but when those boxes show up you will be very, very happy. Hope to hear good news from you soon!

Probably because at least one of us chose to wait to ship (I have pushed mine back from one of the very first to be made to mid-January and now to pretty much confirmed for mid-February) which moved others like yourself ahead, due to other timing commitments. I have a fixed use 1200 to cover the missing 1100GTO which will be used for portable applications later this year. Enjoy the 1100 mount. I am really starting to get excited about having a look at mine once it arrives.

frobi6852

#6348265 - 01/31/14 11:26 PM

Quote:

FINALLY!!!
Got an email from Daleen telling me my mount will ship on Monday, Now I hope I can get them to ship it Priority mail instead of ground shipping it UPS as it would take another month to get to Korea

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

#6348303 - 01/31/14 11:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

FINALLY!!!
Got an email from Daleen telling me my mount will ship on Monday, Now I hope I can get them to ship it Priority mail instead of ground shipping it UPS as it would take another month to get to Korea

There was an issue with a family member of one of the main personnel within AP responsible for the mounts and mount production was "off-line" for a couple of weeks due to that.

Since it is international shipping, AP will probably ship the mount whichever way you wish to pay for within the associated customs, insurance, size, and weight limitations of the requested carrier.

frobi6852

#6348595 - 02/01/14 07:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FINALLY!!!

There was an issue with a family member of one of the main personnel within AP responsible for the mounts and mount production was "off-line" for a couple of weeks due to that.

Since it is international shipping, AP will probably ship the mount whichever way you wish to pay for within the associated customs, insurance, size, and weight limitations of the requested carrier.

Luckily I don't have to worry about Korean customs as it will be going thru the Army post office and that should save me a bundle of $$ . as for the weight, As long as it's under 76#'s per package it will be fine

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

#6348806 - 02/01/14 10:29 AM

Quote:

There was an issue with a family member of one of the main personnel within AP responsible for the mounts..

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everyone is safe and healthy. The folks at AP are good people.

Jeff

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

#6348889 - 02/01/14 11:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FINALLY!!!

Luckily I don't have to worry about Korean customs as it will be going thru the Army post office and that should save me a bundle of $$ . as for the weight, As long as it's under 76#'s per package it will be fine

It will be the insurance that will probably shut that shipping method down. $5K maximum via USPS, unless that is waived in some manner and I wouldn't be doing that! My guess is someone at Astro-Physics will be figuring it out.

mnshanny

Reged: 10/19/12

Loc: MN
Re: Any New AP1100 notifications? [Re: jblockyou]
      #6350153 - 02/01/14 10:13 PM

Looks like I'm in the pipeline for April delivery

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4301

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics