Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
MarkCPC11

Reged: 02/24/11

Orion Atlas Telescope Mount Extension new
      #6351857 - 02/02/14 06:39 PM

I received the mount extension as I await my Atlas Pro to arrive, was on sale at Amazon for an amazing price of 35$? Might have been missed-priced, looks like they corrected the price somewhat. I noticed that the hardware seems very cheap and the design is functional, but lacks versatility. Has anyone upgraded this extension somewhat, maybe using better hardware like Rosette Knobs and/or replacement bearing? Any links or comments are appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ldesign1
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/09

Loc: Northern Illinois
Re: Orion Atlas Telescope Mount Extension [Re: MarkCPC11]
      #6352540 - 02/03/14 04:32 AM

I replaced the hex head screws with button head screws. I didn't like the screw heads sticking out as they did. I also glued a round piece of 1/8" cork to the bottom so that it doesn't turn easily after it has been bolted down. I found that when I was balancing the telescope, the mount would turn at the base of the extension. I could never get it tight enough to not turn without the cork sheet in between. That could throw off your polar alignment if you already had it set up.

Other than those two things, I like it just fine.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 169

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics