Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
philh74

Reged: 01/30/14

Meade Wedge Mount for LX50 new
      #6346537 - 01/31/14 05:59 AM

Hi everyone, I hope this isn't a dumb question. I have recently inherited a LX50 10" scope from a relative, so after years with an ETX, I'm having to learn some proper aligning techniques now!
Anyway, I have a question about polar aligning the wedge mount that came with it - it is the standard mount, not the Super Wedge.
It has a declination scale in degrees, but there is no obvious pointer to show what angle the mounting plate is actually at. The washer on the allen key partially obscures the readings as it moves. The plate on which the telescope sits, is also good couple of cm's above the axis around which the scale is marked, so seeing where the top of the mounting plate passes through the degree scale doesn't actually seem to give an accurate representation of its declination. I hope that makes sense - its hard to explain. If you have one of these wedges you might know what I mean. There wasn't an awful lot of info in the instruction book other than 'line up the wedge with your latitude'. Thanks in advance. Phil

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveRosenow
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Shelton, Washington
Re: Meade Wedge Mount for LX50 new [Re: philh74]
      #6346786 - 01/31/14 09:35 AM

The latitude scale (that's what it's called - not a "declination scale") is a tricky one, but it can be fairly easy to align.

The best method I have used - since mine didn't have any sort of marker to align it like the Superwedge does - is to use the center of the bolt on the bottom end of thebaseplate to which the telescope base mounts to. That's the method I discovered works best. On mine, I drew a line using a Sharpie permanent marker from that bolt down to the latitude scale that lined up in a straight-line path to any one of the latitude adjustment scale markers.

Another thing that helped me along the way was a protractor that helped me determine the angle I needed the latitude adjustment setting to be at.

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

Re: Meade Wedge Mount for LX50 new [Re: SteveRosenow]
      #6347858 - 01/31/14 06:56 PM

When I was helping a friend with an older scope with no scale on the wedge, I just pointed the scope straight out of the forks and then centered on Polaris. It was a little tricky getting the bolts tight while insuring the scope did not move, but with two people it is not that bad. This will give you a much better first alignment than any latitude scale on the side ever can.

philh74

Reged: 01/30/14

Re: Meade Wedge Mount for LX50 new [Re: nitegeezer]
      #6348539 - 02/01/14 05:25 AM

Good suggestions, thanks both. I thought I'd just end up aligning with Polaris by eye, but I thought I'd check to see I wasn't missing something with the slightly pointless latitude scale. I suppose its just a rough guide anyway.
Thanks.

scopethis
Postmaster

Reged: 05/30/08

Loc: Kingman, Ks
Re: Meade Wedge Mount for LX50 new [Re: philh74]
      #6352760 - 02/03/14 08:55 AM

I use a magnetic angle finder, it pretty accurate..after the needle stops wiggling...

maugi88
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/25/13

Loc: SE MN
Re: Meade Wedge Mount for LX50 [Re: scopethis]
      #6353710 - 02/03/14 04:51 PM

Hello philh74, I do not have this scope so will be of now help. I just wanted to say hello and welcome if I have not already done so. Also, wanted to make sure you understand that there are NO stupid questions on CN. We are all here to learn, so no question is beyond silly. Unless its a joke of course, and even then you will get some seriously funny responses.

Have fun with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 313

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics